Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

07 Optimax still not running right.

Been since last March and still haven’t found it. And don’t have the $$ to keep taking it to the mechanic when it doesn’t act up for them. But I may try again soon because I know if it doesn’t mess up they can’t fix.
    Here are what the symptoms are. Intermittent problem. Usually 1 or 2 times a trip. Once started the engine emits a slight squeaking noise. Hard to get to plane but if you do it’ll only run about 4000 rpms with some skipping. Sometimes you hear a popping sound while running but it’s hard to hear. Pull back the throttle to idle and the rpms surge back and forth. And most time pulling back to neutral causes the engine to stall. It’s at that point where the engine emits a growling sound. Almost sounds like it’s sucking air? Sounds like a leapord. But over the next minute or two the pace of the growl slows down until it’s just a tick.tick...tick.... With the cowling off it’s a ticking sound that’s about 5 ticks a second(pretty fast initially).
    Now after you fish that spot you start it up and it may run like brand new. The last two mornings I fished it was tougher to crank. Almost like it wasn’t getting enough fuel. And the engine smoked when it normally never does. Also, when you remove the spark plugs they are filthy. Normally dry but I have seen oil on them at times.
    So far I have checked compression. Changed fuel filter, fuel line, removed and emptied fuel tank. Changed air filter, plugs, all 3 coils. One mechanic replaced the thermostat and poppet valve. And the first time I started it after that it acted up. I just sent the ECU to Simon Motorsports (it was reflashed 4 years ago) and Eric said there were no problems with that( I appreciate his honesty). So that ships back next week and I move on to the next idea. I’ve been told by people it’s the fuel pump, reed valve(s), compressor, dirty fuel rails. So I’m hoping my best attempt yet to describe the problem yields a more accurate thought on what it is exactly. Like I said I don’t wanna keep sending it off and paying labor with no results. Thank you!
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

2. Member
    basic pressure tests of fuel air system is needed when problem occurs
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    What's the serial number?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    What's the serial number?
    1B505952
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

5. Member
    I recommend you go see the one and only DON WEED super tech in GREENVILLE SC. , probly save you lots of time and or money in long run , he will has diagnostic equip to test and verify results
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Be glad to take a look at it. Give us a holler to set up a date.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Be glad to take a look at it. Give us a holler to set up a date.
    I think I will. Just have to figure out how I’m getting it there during store hours. Thanks.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

8. Member
    Here is the sound it makes after engine shuts off.

2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

9. Member
    sounds like air compressor muffler is sticking or stopped up , possibly

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    We shall see...

11. Member

Here is the sound of the engine while running. Notice the slight squeaking sound. If it is doing this it will not run correctly.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

12. Member
    Sounds like you've got an appointment with Don.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

13. Member
    Don will have that beast figured out before you know what is going on! LOL

14. Member
    Update: A broken reed was the culprit. It was stuck in the compressor. The compressor is operable and while I had the choice to get a new one, I opted to keep running the original. Fuel rails will be replaced and injectors cleaned.
    Once I get it back I will have to decide on undoing the ECU reflash I had done 4 years ago. I was told the engine cannot get enough air. I’m not sure if that is because I got the 125 tune instead of the 115? But changing back to the 90 would be a move considered if I decide to sell.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

15. Member
    i thought the 115 and the 125 tune were the same, that they just callled it a 115 but it put out closer to 125. I had my 75 tuned to the 115 for 3 years with no issues. I did put Chris Carson Reeds in though
    Andy

2004 Pro Craft 192 SuperPro

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Two different calibrations, but very similar. In this case, the REEDS, reed blocks, and throttle plate are different (contrary to "popular" opinion, most Optimax models are not just "flash and go" HP upgrades).

17. Member
    bet they were not told that either

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Joe- figured you would find this interesting.

Compressor-Reed-Plate.jpg

A little something missing here. Where did it go
    Thank You Leon Pugh

20. Member
    di ya find it in there, the one and only DON WEED super tech

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast