1991 Stratos 290 SF with Evinrude 200 XP Idle issue (possibly solved?)

Hey folks, I hope the water is well where you are from! I recently purchased a 1991 Stratos 290 SF with an Evinrude 200 XP V6 motor that would run decent at higher RPM but shut off at idle or idle speed. I am in it for less than $1500, decent deal I think. Few days ago took the boat for a trip and had a good time, caught some flounder and some sea trout and cruised the Intracoastal waterway. It was beautiful! Until it was time to put the boat on the trailer lol. I used the trolling motor to motor up and a dock line to manually load her back up on the trailer. Anyways....

1. I tried the Seafoam shock treatment, took the carb cover off, removed the carb screws to drain each cylinder. Sprayed Carb cleaner and let it sit for a bit. I hooked up a separate 2 gallon tank from the fuel valve selector to run the Seafoam "potion".
    2. I tried starting it with the selector pulling from the regular tank first to get the motor warm and FORGOT to put the carb screws back in (Whoops!) It turned my 6 carb tower into a beautiful waterfall with fuel pouring out the bottom of each carb.
    3. Noticed the bottom right jet had a shiny brass sheen, it was the carb jet wtf. Apparantly it had been loose the entire time, so there was a silver lining. The fuel waterfall pushed the carb jet out into visible sight . I screwed it back in and reinstalled the drain screws for each carb.
    4. Started it up, ran rough a moment (flooded like the Mississippi) and then it ran while in gear at a little higher RPM.
    5. After it warmed up, and I found some earplugs (loud!) I switched the selector over to the temp tank with the Seafoam mixture.
    6. Ran it for quite a while, went through about a gallon and half of fuel. Viola! It will now run at idle, low rpm. (at least on the hose, not sure about load in water). Lots of black residue came out during this process

Summary: The Seafoam seemed to help a lot. It actually idles now, and seems to run more smoothly. One of my carbs(same one the idle jet was loose on) has an intermittent spit. I researched and it could be the reeds? I posted a Video to Youtube to show it running. May I please get some advice, any helpful hints on what I should do now is greatly appreciated. Should I be ordering a new reed set for that carb? Or should I consider a carb rebuild for all of the carbs?

Much respect,

-J

2. Member
    Another Video to show before I could idle...had to have it in gear to remain running. This video shows when I cut the RPM down the first time to around idle.

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You have bad reed on that cylinder or bad intake gasket.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    You have bad reed on that cylinder or bad intake gasket.
    Thank you sir for the reply. I will need to research on how to check each one/ order new part. Any suggestions?

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    The back spitting out of the carb is the tell tale. It's a lean spit. It may not be a bad reed set but a possible bad gasket. Take a piece of paper and hold t over the carb if it sucks it in the reeds are OK, most times. if not your need to check them

6. Member
    Will try that. Thank you.