How to Buy a Bassboat at a Great Distance Away

So, let’s say you have searched the classifieds long and hard and finally it appears that you have found THE BOAT... if it all checks out. There’s only one major drawback to this boat: it’s located 12hr away! I’ve read some of the “Buying a Used Bassboat Tips” articles. Most of these deal with a few basic questions: Why are you selling, Model year verification, maint. history, water source to test motor etc, etc. and most of these preliminary inquiries can be done over the phone. The other tips discuss a hands-on evaluation of the boat.
    My main question for you good folks is one dealing with the logistical aspects of buying a boat at a great distance away.

• Do you get as much info on the phone, then do your homework to decide on a counter offering price. And if an agreeable price can be negotiated, does one “make the deal” over the phone that when I arrive to see/evaluate/drive boat and IF all checks out as described, then I will buy the boat for agreed price.
    • Earnest money: What if you cannot get away to travel to see boat within the week or so, is it customary to send earnest money to hold boat?
    • What are your thoughts about an impartial evaluator of Boat? Would you trust the paperwork from his mechanic or would you attempt to set up a impartial mechanic to give it a going-over. Would it be asking to much to request the owner take it to a mechanic that does not know him and split the cost of service?

Thanks you for any information, guidance, tips, etc. I appreciate your time.

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mycropterus nightmareus View Post
    So, let’s say you have searched the classifieds long and hard and finally it appears that you have found THE BOAT... if it all checks out. There’s only one major drawback to this boat: it’s located 12hr away! I’ve read some of the “Buying a Used Bassboat Tips” articles. Most of these deal with a few basic questions: Why are you selling, Model year verification, maint. history, water source to test motor etc, etc. and most of these preliminary inquiries can be done over the phone. The other tips discuss a hands-on evaluation of the boat.
    My main question for you good folks is one dealing with the logistical aspects of buying a boat at a great distance away.

• Do you get as much info on the phone, then do your homework to decide on a counter offering price. And if an agreeable price can be negotiated, does one “make the deal” over the phone that when I arrive to see/evaluate/drive boat and IF all checks out as described, then I will buy the boat for agreed price.
    • Earnest money: What if you cannot get away to travel to see boat within the week or so, is it customary to send earnest money to hold boat?
    • What are your thoughts about an impartial evaluator of Boat? Would you trust the paperwork from his mechanic or would you attempt to set up a impartial mechanic to give it a going-over. Would it be asking to much to request the owner take it to a mechanic that does not know him and split the cost of service?

Thanks you for any information, guidance, tips, etc. I appreciate your time.
    My last boat I sold the guy drove from Wisconsin, I am in Oklahoma. I sent him a bunch of pictures and we talked on the phone a few times. I scan the title and sent it to his bank so they could see it was lien free. We negotiated a price on the phone, based on my description of boat being accurate. I had him give me the bank name, so I could look them up, call them to verify he was getting a legit cashiers check from them to bring to me. He showed up, gave me a check, I gave him boat and title and everyone was happy! For earnest money, I didn't feel right taking it, it took the guy 2 weeks to come down, so I had to trust his word that he would follow thru.

I've bought 2 that were in Grand Junction, Co, and Boise Id. I live in Fresno Ca I talked to the sellers on the phone and had them email me pictures of ALL sides close up and at a short distance. Then pics of ANY stress cracks, chips, scrapes, etc. I'd zoom in on them so I could determine the extent of the issue Then the trailer, the same. Also a motor read out of hrs, compression, and any and all of the receipts for any work done. If it's an honest seller, he would not have a problem doing this. I had some I inquired about that wouldn't, so I kicked those off my list !! I've also done the same for any buyer I had for my boats when I sold them.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

4. Member
    I’ve driven 12+ hours 4 times to buy and have sold 3 to people that drove 20+. All went smooth. I did drive 10 hours 1 time and in 5 min left without boat because if nondiscloded conditions.

Lots of pictures, good discussion and questions. Have to get a good feeling from those conversations. Price 100% agreed in advance and type of payment.

5. Member
    I drove 900 plus miles one way to get my boat. Actually drove it twice, once to look at it. Once to pick it up. We didn't make a deal until several weeks after I looked at it the first time. I was lucky that the seller was patient while I worked out my financing. Boats cost a lot. If it's what you want, its worth the effort.

6. Banned
    If you are driving that far, you have to be prepared to walk away if it’s not as described. It’s hard because you just spent a lot of time & money, but you have to be able to walk away.

7. Member
    I drove 14 hours to go get my used Ranger. I had them send me lots of pictures and they took it to a local mechanic I picked out to get it checked out. I got the good and bad from the mechanic and decided to buy it. We met at a bank branch where I picked up the boat and we traded money for notarized titles. The only thing I didn't understand completely was the difference between states on how they handle trailer titles/registration. I ended up having to get a bonded trailer title. Not a big deal, but a pain in the ass process nonetheless....
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

These days with the way tire kickers are he may not hold it for you

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

Have bought two boats long distances, I I have been pleased on both purchases. First boat was a 16 foot Nitro of Ebay and the dealer held it for me for two months until I could make the arrangements for the weekend off to drive down and back from Winnipeg to Fort Pierce Florida. Second I bought of Craigslist and asked the buyer for a few more updated pictures and which where sent. Made an offer which was accepted and we made an agreement on when I planned to come down and meet. Was prepared if the boat wasn't up to par but it was even better looking than even in pictures that where sent. Three years now with the same boat and I also have a very good friend in Tennessee after purchasing the boat from him.
    97 Stratos 288
    175 Evenrude Intruder
    Humminbird electronics
    Garmin electronics
    Fortrex112
    2012 Ford Lariat 250

10. Member
    Their should be a MARINE SURVEYOR some where around, for a fee they will do all the leg work for you, some will even test water intrusion if their is wood in hull area, test all components and test drive, they are certified and should be honest about it.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    If you are driving that far, you have to be prepared to walk away if it’s not as described. It’s hard because you just spent a lot of time & money, but you have to be able to walk away.
    Agreed. I bought a boat 10+ hours from me. I had him send me a bunch of pictures and everything was worked out ahead of time contingent on it being as described and running fine. Everything worked out fine. A couple phone conversations should be able to get a minimal amount of trust between the two of you. Assuming he isn't sketchy of course. But you have to be willing to walk if it isn't as described and take the loss of time and gas money.

I bought off of this site, 11 hours away, got pictures and asked all questions up front. Agreed on price upon me seeing boat. Had bank on standby to wire money into his account. Looked boat over, wanted it, called bank went to breakfast and he had money deposited in account and I took boat home. Safe for both parties, but you do have to be able to walk away if its not as advertised.

13. Member
    I live in SC and bought my boat from Illinois. It was only two years old and had low hours, so I knew there couldn't be much wrong with it and it still had factory warranty. There was a pretty good size chip on the bottom and the scag had a chunk out of it that the guy didn't disclose, but after driving that far it makes those kind of issues seem a bit minor. I did let him know that it wasn't cool to not tell me those things. I would be prepared to find some undisclosed issues, but if you are getting the boat you want for a fair price it's worth the trip.
    2016 Bass Cat Cougar FTD
    250 Pro XS

Get someone here to go look at it for ya !
    Life is kinda hard but it's
    better than the other options .. er ..option !

15. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    Depending on what kind of boat you by I would visit that boats board ask about any potential issues to look out for and its possible to find someone on this site that is close to the boat and could take a look and get good information I have had guys look at stuff for me and and looked at stuff for others

Hi performance parts or a Yamaha power head visit
    Hydro-Tec's web site @ http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/
    Paul Hottman Hydro-Tec's Pro staff since 1998

16. mikesxpress
    Besides getting the customary engine readouts and pictures make sure it gets jacked up off the bunks to look for blistering.