Banned

Water in boat when I pull drain plug

Hey guys I have a 2016 z18 and notice I always have some water in my boat when I pull the drain plug. Even if im out for just an hour or 2. We are about to go on vacation and i'd have the boat in the water (in a slip) for a week. Im starting to second guess whether I should worry since I always have water in the boat. (I am not putting any water in from the inside, swimming, ice chest, etc.)

Any ideas whats going on or suggestions?

2. Member
    Overflows from livewell?
    Nitro z21

3. Member
    I always have a little too it is common. Some of mine leaks around the cooler box plug into the hull. Also if you don't have one get a auto bilge pump switch. I had my boat in a slip for a week fishing and one night it rained like crazy and my boat almost sunk because I had the live well over flow plugged. I installed a switch as soon as I got home.
    Johnnyboydan
    Triton 185 Merc 150

4. Member
    Only time water in the hull should be common is ice melt in cooler overflow of livewell or water in boat either from rain or taking waves
    Nitro z21

5. Banned
    Livewells are not overflowing.. and I rarely use the built in icechest. Maybe I will replace the plastic boat's drain plug with a stainless steel.. Only thing I can think of, is the rear drain is not a tight seal and water is slowly seeping in

6. Member
    My Z7 was getting water in the bilge. To test the rear plug i put teflon tape on it. It stopped the leak so I bought a whole new drain plug assembly and it solved the issue. Good luck.

I will add on another boat I owned, one of my livewell hose fittings broke and was letting water into the bilge. A lot more than the drain plug issue.
    Last edited by remaly181; 06-08-2019 at 09:29 PM.

7. Fishing is a Passion
    Backwash
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

my nitro for a few trips leaked, then i turned the drain plug like 1/8th turn tighter, fixed
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

9. Banned
    Thanks for the replies, you guys!
    Last edited by cav; 06-09-2019 at 06:28 AM.

10. Member
    My 2018 is the same way and it stays at the dock for a few days at a time. I wouldnt worry about it, just keep check on it.

11. Member
    Well you can have the plug leaking it’s an easy check just install plug and fill bilge with water over the pumps.

Your jackplate bolts may not be sealed or tightened properly. Your underside of the rub rail may have a void. Bilge plumbing may be also a culprit.
    Nitro z21

12. Member
    I have aZ9 that was doing that and it was a piece of a zip tie that had been cutoff and had worked it’s way back to the drain. It was keeping the drain plug from seating properly.

13. Dogfish_Jones
    My Z7 was filling up and found that the drain plug threads were messed up causing the water to come in. 10 minutes to install a new one and dry as can be now.

A cracked fill line for my livewell was the culprit for my previous 911 CDC. Took awhile to find the problem.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Get the garden hose and start filling up the bilge so all of the fittings are under water as well as the pumps for the bilge and live wells. At least you can check those for leaks at the inlets and drain plug area.
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

16. Member
    I had a issue years ago that stumped me for a while. Here in the NC mountains it gets very cold and freezes every winter. I went fishing one cold morning and my AUTOMATIC bilge pump kept going on??????!!!!! I finally figured out that I had not gotten all the water out of the incoming water lines when I stored it OUTSIDE for a few weeks. One of the hoses And the pump cracked and leaked the water into the boat. I had to replace one pump and a little bit of hose. Problem solved. Sure glad I had installed a second AUTOMATIC pump. At the end of the season before you put the ship up for the season run all the pumps, so said the marine mechanic!