Sunline Shooter Knots ?

Has anyone had mix results with using the Palomar knot with shooter ? I’m using the 12 lb and it seems like I have to check my knot with a good pull to make sure it’s solid. When I bite the line in some parts it’s tough as nails and some pets it’s kinda easy to bite off. When I set the hook I haven’t lost a fish but it makes me slightly nervous. Can anyone suggest a a better knot ?

thanks in advance

2. Member
    I don't use a Palomar for any fluorocarbon, a uni knot works great and is simple and quick to tie.

3. Member
    How many wraps ?

San Diego jam with 20-25 shooter. 5-6 wraps

12-16lb 6-7 wraps and sometimes will double my line first and then tie one on the lighter lines if I'm using a technique that you set the hook hard on. I feel it helps the lighter lines better absorb the shock of a hard hookset and lowers your chances greatly of popping your line on the hookset if you get after it a little to hard. Especially on spinning set ups with 16-20lb braid to 8-12lb fluro leader. Those I almost always do a double san deigo jam knot.
    Last edited by white gambler; 06-10-2019 at 08:31 AM.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

5. Member
    I’ve probably talked to 10 pros about knots and they all have their favorite but the one constant answer I got from everyone of them. Never use a Palomer knot with fluorocarbon. I’ve also watched about every video on Bass U and about 95% of those say the same thing. Use a cinch knot such as the San Diego Jam knot.

6. Member
    I never had any issue with Shooter and Palomar knots when I had it on a reel. It's decent line, but I wasn't impressed with it, nor Sniper...which held Palomars just fine as well. It's the only knot I know how to tie, and you shouldn't have any issues with a "correctly" tied Palomar and most fluorocarbons.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Pudd legend View Post
    How many wraps ?
    I've always used 6, for 4-12 lb, but you can use less with heavier line.

8. Member
    Only fluorocarbon I use is Sunline Shooter or Sniper and the only knot I’ve ever used is the Improved Clinch Knot. Never had any issues with it. Always 6-7 wraps

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by white gambler View Post
    San Diego jam with 20-25 shooter. 5-6 wraps

10. Member
    I use the uni or Trilene knot for fluor and have never had an issue with either and both are easy to tie

11. Member
    Shooter and sniper for me. I use a fishin fool knot. Its basically a uni that goes through the eye twice.
    2006 Stratos 294 Pro XL.2005 Yamaha 200 VMAX 3.1L. 8" Hydro Dynamics Rapid Jack. Ultrex 112 I-Plot link. 2 Helix 10 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N.

Not sure why everyone says the Palomar is a problem with fluoro, but at the same time has no issue telling everyone that's the knot to use with light fluorocarbon when rigging a drop shot.

I think there are two things at play here. First is that fluoro will tell you if something is wrong with your knot right away. It's not forgiving at all. I think with a Palomar it comes from two possible mistakes, the most common of which is getting a twist in the loop when bringing the hook through. That will burn your knot every single time when you cinch it down. The other mistake that I catch myself making is that you have to make sure that every piece of line is on top of the hook eye when cinching it down. A little loop of line likes to get stuck under the eye, especially with stiffer stuff like Shooter.

That brings me to what I think the next problem might me. Since Shooter is quite a bit stiffer than some other lines, I think it's a lot more apt not to "lock" into place when you tie a knot. This means it can back out or get twisted up much easier which results in a break either way. I think this also fits with fluoro in general with why people have issues with the Palomar on heavier lines and none with the lighter stuff like you'd use on a drop shot hat's coincidentally a lot less stiff.

Just my thoughts on the subject. Different strokes and all that!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

13. Member
    Thankyou for the info a great write up :)

14. Member
    San Diego jam is my knot for fluorocarbon. Several reasons, but the #1 reason is I can tie the darn thing without havin to put on my reading glasses. With bigger line, I'll go with a clench knot. Don't like the palomar cause it's a pain for me to tie. Don't use it for anything. I do think there are a couple things to remember about any knot. If you really crank on it and try to pull it really tight, you run the risk of burning or damaging your line. Pull it snug. That's why I like the SD Jam knot. The click at the end tells me I'm good. Also leave a good tag on it. Don't cut it off too short.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

Quote Originally Posted by TableRock55 View Post
    San Diego jam is my knot for fluorocarbon. Several reasons, but the #1 reason is I can tie the darn thing without havin to put on my reading glasses. With bigger line, I'll go with a clench knot. Don't like the palomar cause it's a pain for me to tie. Don't use it for anything. I do think there are a couple things to remember about any knot. If you really crank on it and try to pull it really tight, you run the risk of burning or damaging your line. Pull it snug. That's why I like the SD Jam knot. The click at the end tells me I'm good. Also leave a good tag on it. Don't cut it off too short.
    Awesome tips. Yanking really hard on it is definitely a problem, I think moreso with fluoro due to how it "stretches" in comparison to mono. Mono springs back, while fluoro fractures when it stretches. Also leaving that tag end longer is such good advice. I made that one switch using the same knots I've used for years and probably cut my breakoffs in half.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

16. Member
    I use the improved clinch with all line types. Never an issue. The key is how you sinch it down.