Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    I have owned a 1994 Ranger, 2000 Ranger, and now a 2018 Ranger. All of them were built very well during their time. I have no complaints about build quality at all. This is why I kept going back to Ranger.

Good luck!

M

I know Bass Cats are well built boats, but, a lot of the design of the boats is a turn off to me. They have the most awkward looking dashes and consoles. Too much going on on the sides of the boats. Lightening bolts everywhere and the clear grab handles. I think the best looking cat I’ve seen was a Classic without all the garbage on the sides. No grab handles. It was a beautiful red and dark gray. Stunning boat. A friend of mine has a Pantera that will flat out fly, but I’ll keep my 521.
    Last edited by high 2; 06-11-2019 at 07:27 PM.
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

3. Member
    I have had a Ranger 30+ years and my latest '17 520c is the best as far as fit and finish. It's not been in the shop yet for anything boat related. Good luck

4. Banned
    I had a 2014 z518c, loved the boat. It had a lot of QC issues and gel coat issues sitting on the showroom floor brand new.

I really couldn't believe Ranger slopped that boat up. They fixed most of it, but not all. I ended up trading it.

Quote Originally Posted by high 2 View Post
    I know bass cars are well built boats, but, a lot of the design of the boats is a turn off to me. They have the most awkward looking dashes and consoles. Too much going on on the sides of the boats. Lightening bolts everywhere and the clear grab handles. I think the best looking cat I’ve seen was a Classic without all the garbage on the sides. No grab handles. It was a beautiful red and dark gray. Stunning boat. A friend of mine has a Pantera that will flat out fly, but I’ll keep my 521.
    Yea BassCats are about the ugliest thing on the water. Wish they werent because I think they build a nice boat. Just to my eye, not appealing
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

Quote Originally Posted by turfy49431 View Post
    Yea BassCats are about the ugliest thing on the water. Wish they werent because I think they build a nice boat. Just to my eye, not appealing
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

7. Member
    From the Ranger owners I know, quality is still being maintained within the company and the boats being built. There are a few complaints on the Ranger board, but is expected with the volume sold. I sure wouldn't be worried about a quality issue to keep me out of one. They are fine machines.
    I'm not sure of what BCB is not finished in any of its lockers. You can order one without the additional bolt. Do a same color bolt to blend the side. With the Bass Cat your options of colors and customizing allows you to make your boat unique. I see so many other brand boats that all look the same.
    All I can say is don't drive one. Its addicting!
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

8. Rich Purington
    In Puma FTD the following are not carpeted:

• 2 smaller tackle storage compartments forward deck
    • Net storage forward deck
    • 1 large tackle storage area compartment forward deck
    • 2 Day Box/Coolers (step to forward deck)
    • Day Box/Cooler (under step to rear deck).

Carpeted areas:

• Rod Lockers
    • Storage under both seats
    • Rear storage compartments (back deck)
    • Glove box in passenger console

All of the boxes are finished fiberglass. Not sure why one post had an unfinished box that allowed vision of the hull. Maybe cut out for display?
    I think the banter between the Ranger and BCB boat owners is proof of only one thing…both are great boats that have very loyal customers. Just a flavor preference.
    2018 Puma FTD
    250 ProXS

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbtriton80 View Post
    I had a 2014 z518c, loved the boat. It had a lot of QC issues and gel coat issues sitting on the showroom floor brand new.

I really couldn't believe Ranger slopped that boat up. They fixed most of it, but not all. I ended up trading it.
    But you traded for a boat made on the same assembly line that goes out the door right behind a Ranger.

10. Banned
    Yea at the time, but this boat was night and day better as far as the gel coat issues, more storage, and more standard features. Plus I went from a 18.8 to 20.5 foot boat and that is what I always wanted. I always wanted a 20 footer.
    Triton is not made at the Ranger plant now and from what I have saw and heard the fit and finish is even better. This still does not change the fact Ranger does not always mean flawless.

I saw plenty of Triton's come out looking better than Rangers and vise versa. The people at the plant were overwhelmed trying to build two Name brand boats. Splitting them up helped a lot IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    But you traded for a boat made on the same assembly line that goes out the door right behind a Ranger.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellevue Bobber View Post

Carpeted areas:

• Rod Lockers

All of the boxes are finished fiberglass. Not sure why one post had an unfinished box that allowed vision of the hull. Maybe cut out for display?
    I think the banter between the Ranger and BCB boat owners is proof of only one thing…both are great boats that have very loyal customers. Just a flavor preference.
    I will try to get back to the bass cat dealer soon and will take pictures. It was a boat on the showroom for sale.
    2018 Ranger Z518C 200hp Rude.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

2022 Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbtriton80 View Post
    Yea at the time, but this boat was night and day better as far as the gel coat issues, more storage, and more standard features. Plus I went from a 18.8 to 20.5 foot boat and that is what I always wanted. I always wanted a 20 footer.
    Triton is not made at the Ranger plant now and from what I have saw and heard the fit and finish is even better. This still does not change the fact Ranger does not always mean flawless.

I saw plenty of Triton's come out looking better than Rangers and vise versa. The people at the plant were overwhelmed trying to build two Name brand boats. Splitting them up helped a lot IMO.
    Yes Triton is made at the old Legend factory starting in 2018 but you are pointing out issues about your Ranger quality vs your Triton quality when at the time they were produced side by side. Have you ever been to the factory particularly when they were both made in house? I go there for about 3 weeks a year since 2012 for my job and nothing has changed since the buyout other than some staff that went to Vexus. Maybe you got a Monday morning or Friday evening Ranger to explain your issues. But if you ever go to Flippin and see the demographics of the residents plus Ranger is the biggest employer in the county you would understand how boats leave with some issues whether it be major or minor.

lit handle.JPGconsole3.JPGconsole4.JPGBoat side.JPG

I only have one lightning bolt on the side of mine. If you only want one, just get the one. If you don't want the pinstripe around the lightning bolt get it the same color.

There are several things I don't like about my Basscat, but the console and clear grab handles, I really like. The console is all molded fiberglass with no plastic, beautiful nexlink gauges with bezel rings of your color choosing, with a tach which has a built in LCD display portion in the bottom, like a mercury smart monitor fully customizeable to monitor engine and boat parameters of my choosing. Water temp monitoring is a must see for me. My huge HB Solix takes away from the console aesthetics. The clear grab handles are functional, for the passenger to hold when underway, to grab when entering or exiting the boat from the side, and to add side visibility in low light. Many don't know they glow with lighting for safety, and displays "Basscat" along with the logo inside the handle for bling, in a color of your choice to match your boat.

Beauty truly is in the eyes of the beholder.

Quote Originally Posted by high 2 View Post
    I know Bass Cats are well built boats, but, a lot of the design of the boats is a turn off to me. They have the most awkward looking dashes and consoles. Too much going on on the sides of the boats. Lightening bolts everywhere and the clear grab handles. I think the best looking cat I’ve seen was a Classic without all the garbage on the sides. No grab handles. It was a beautiful red and dark gray. Stunning boat. A friend of mine has a Pantera that will flat out fly, but I’ll keep my 521.
    Last edited by mossie3; 06-12-2019 at 07:55 PM.

14. Member
    I was seriously thinking about getting a Ranger, I looked them over good at the Classic, they look like they are built with quality to me. Originally I was all in on Vexus, just could not get past some of the looks of this boat, plus the price was as high as a Ranger and it is an unproven company. Decided to try a Bullet, if it does not suit me my next boat will probably be between Ranger and Vexus, depends on styling as far as Vexus goes.

Here's my 14 Puma FTD being built. There is an uncarpeted finished white coating of some kind applied in the front of the hull, the 2 most front compartments, the large tackle storage behind them, underside of the console and throughout the bilge area of the boat. The livewells, both coolers, day box, and net scabbard are a gray smooth finished material. The hull sides, I'm guessing are not finished behind the carpet. The only way I can think of in my Puma, trying real hard to see unfinished fiberglass, is to put my head down as deep as I can inside a rod box and look up above where the carpet ends, along where the cap is sandwiched to the hull, and also far forward on the underside of the cap in the trolling motor mounting area. I don't see any need for those areas to be finished for aesthetics, or see it as a lack of quality whatsoever.

inside hull 1.JPGfront compartments.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Bellevue Bobber View Post

Carpeted areas:

• Rod Lockers

If someone wants to give me one, I would not complain...

I will even trade my Tracker 175 txw for one

Quote Originally Posted by mossie3 View Post
    lit handle.JPGconsole3.JPGconsole4.JPGBoat side.JPG

I only have one lightning bolt on the side of mine. If you only want one, just get the one. If you don't want the pinstripe around the lightning bolt get it the same color.

There are several things I don't like about my Basscat, but the console and clear grab handles, I really like. The console is all molded fiberglass with no plastic, beautiful nexlink gauges with bezel rings of your color choosing, with a tach which has a built in LCD display portion in the bottom, like a mercury smart monitor fully customizeable to monitor engine and boat parameters of my choosing. Water temp monitoring is a must see for me. My huge HB Solix takes away from the console aesthetics. The clear grab handles are functional, for the passenger to hold when underway, to grab when entering or exiting the boat from the side, and to add side visibility in low light. Many don't know they glow with lighting for safety, and displays "Basscat" along with the logo inside the handle for bling, in a color of your choice to match your boat.

Beauty truly is in the eyes of the beholder.
    And your boat is good looking, not a lot busy stuff going on. My comments on Bass Cat looks aren’t meant to piss anyone off. What I don’t like others do. Just some times there’s too much going on on a boat for me. I do wish my Ranger would run like a Cat, but it’s not too bad.
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

18. Member
    My experience sounds like in the minority; but this last Ranger did not come close to the Ranger quality I had come to expect after owning 3 others. I was disappointed about multiple issues with my 18 521c. Some serious stuff that my dealer drove themselves crazy trying to fix, and finally did. But also just dumb unfinished stuff that I NEVER though I would see on a Ranger. One of the most disappointing things to me was that Ranger made it obvious they don't care. I filled out survey's, explained my concerns, and checked the box that I would like someone from Ranger to contact me....nothing! pretty disheartening.

I like my boat, it's beautiful, but I can no longer tell my friends that they shouldn't even look at another boat. In the end I'm not sure I got $20k more quality than I would have if I'd just ordered a Phoenix, Nitro, or Triton.
    2018 Ranger 521C, 2023 Merc 250 Pro XS 4S (3B261295), 36V Ultrex, 10" Atlas, Power Poles, Lowrance 12 Carbon, and 2-12 Lives.

19. Member
    The 521C is nowhere close to $20k more than the other boats you mentioned, similarly equipped, and similar models. I just went through that process last year.
    It is about $10k more than the Nitro, and the Triton price is a little more than the Nitro. A 21PHX is about the exact same price as a 521C.
    2019 Ranger z521c (RGR17030E819)
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4 stroke V8 (2B531611)
    RangerTrail (7J5BBDK20KF164876)

I think my 95' Ranger 482vs was higher in quality and certainly durability than my 2014 119c Ranger.

The plastic parts faded quickly in my new Ranger....the 95' Ranger's interior looked show room after 20 years of use......also the switches on the panel are terrible on the newer boat.....never had a problem with the older boat's switches.....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast