Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Trailer weight/inspection?

Does anyone get their boat trailer inspected? Bexar county wants me to get my boat trailer weighed (by itself), and inspected before they will let me register it. What the hell happened to Texas while I was gone?

The inspection shouldn't be a problem. I have no idea how I'm going to weigh the trailer without the boat. I guess I'm going to have to sell the boat to someone out of state so that I can buy a new boat here.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

2. Banned
    Never heard of such a thing, what kinda dam boat do you have? You do have to remember the clowns running the circus in San Antonio.

Texas dot/dmv started to enforce the trailer inspection laws a few years ago. If the trailer is over a certain weight then it has to be inspected each year. When you register it they want a slip from a certified scale empty. I had to do it with 3 of my trailers. I buddy of mine had to do his boat trailer, I launched him then get his trailer weighed at the truck stop, then picked him up later that day. I don't remember what the weight was that they are looking for, I know it has changed in the last few years.

Looks like this was in May 2017. Still had to get my trailer inspected just last month. 5100 lbs wonder what's the deal?

I'm gonna print this off and take me next one that I have due up.

There's no way a boat trailer is anywhere near 4500 lbs. It definitely wouldn't be over 7500 lbs, even with the boat on it. I need to look into this further.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

8. Banned
    Yeah many of the clowns don’t realize that the new weight rating is 7501 for inspection. Bring your paperwork to the tax office in Boerne and you tell them your trailers approx weight. Much better girls running our tax accessors office. They are also TPWD certified to make those changes too.

Is that still in Bexar county? I have to get it registered in Bexar county.

I just found this: https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/TN/htm/TN.548.htm#548.407 I'm gonna print a copy of section 548.052 and take it to them. My trailer has a sticker on it that says the capacity is about 5000 lbs. I shouldn't have to get it weighed.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

10. Banned
    Boerne is in Kendall county.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonMan250 View Post
    Boerne is in Kendall county.

Yep, not sure why it’d have to be registered in Bexar though. Is it a requirement to register where you live? I’ll ask my wife, she knows everything.

Yeah, I live in Bexar county. I called Victoria county (where my boat it), and they told me I have to register it in Bexar county.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

13. Banned
    Well damn, good luck dealing with those Beto supporters. I guess they can’t argue what you print off of the states site about the weight ratings.

14. Bobby8
    Steve go to the tax office on Nacodoches outside 410. They have some intelligent folks there.

15. Member
    It is a state registration so county or location should be irrelevant. I have bought a handful from out of state and my DMV has told me that every time, but I have always figured out a way around it - not without multiple trips though and not without causing a scene. Twice I have called trailer mfg and had them send me a letter stating weight of trailer and that was accepted. Once I weighted the whole rig and convinced teller that if whole rig was under weight, then trailer must be too. This last time after 2 unsuccessful attempts, I got a guy who just had some common sense. I showed him a photo of tag with gross weight capacity and he did it.

16. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by utinator View Post
    Is that still in Bexar county? I have to get it registered in Bexar county.

I just found this: https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/TN/htm/TN.548.htm#548.407 I'm gonna print a copy of section 548.052 and take it to them. My trailer has a sticker on it that says the capacity is about 5000 lbs. I shouldn't have to get it weighed.
    I got mine inspected back in Feb, but appears I didn't need to from this that was effective in Sept of 2017. I'll see if I filed my last registration notice to see if it says anything about it.

Uti, is that the Ranger you had before you left? If so, I figured it would have a data sticker similar to mine since Genmar owned both companies up until June 2009. Mine gives the GVWR as 5000 lbs which is what the law is based on, and a load capacity of 4040 lbs, which is the weight of the trailer and (loaded) boat. Only thing it doesn't give is the empty weight, but that should be on the title & registration. TX ought to have that info if it was registered here before. But the trailer manufacture should be able to provide that based on the VIN.

20150328_113120b.jpg

Steve, you don't have to get it weighed. Go to the Nacogdoches tax office location they will take care of you. And yes if you live in Bexar County it will have to be registered here no matter where the location of the boat is. Also, does your insurance know the garaging location of the boat? That's the insurance agent in me coming out

Debra

I believe there is an old thread on here that the rule at that time was over 4500 lbs gross had to be inspected, and that most bass boat trailer manufacturer's plates and titles had a max gross weight listed as 4400 lbs so they didn't have to be inspected. I've never had mine inspected, and it hasn't been required in Dallas County. If it was a requirement you would think that all boat dealers would be inspection stations.

20. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Here's a link to the submitted bill. Changes are underlined and deletions are struck through. https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/85...pdf#navpanes=0. Section affecting us is Sec. 548.052 (3) on page 2 starting with line 14..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast