Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I'm guessing you live in Nevada? If I had a wet transom that was otherwise in good shape and lived in Nevada, I would take every single fitting along with the motor off the transom and store that sucker in Death Valley for a couple of weeks. The extreme heat and arid air in Death valley would be like heat lamps on steroids. When I brought it home, I'd just seal everything up with 3M 4200 and then make sure to reseal every 5 years or so there after. Good luck, wet transoms freak me out also, but from your other posts I can tell you are an accomplished craftsman and you'll have her fixed up like new in no time.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassnailer View Post
    I'm guessing you live in Nevada? If I had a wet transom that was otherwise in good shape and lived in Nevada, I would take every single fitting along with the motor off the transom and store that sucker in Death Valley for a couple of weeks. The extreme heat and arid air in Death valley would be like heat lamps on steroids. When I brought it home, I'd just seal everything up with 3M 4200 and then make sure to reseal every 5 years or so there after. Good luck, wet transoms freak me out also, but from your other posts I can tell you are an accomplished craftsman and you'll have her fixed up like new in no time.
    Thanks! I just want to get through the next few months so I can fish. Winters are long here and the lakes ice over so I'll have a ton of time to get it done in the winter. Wish the guy would of been straight up with me as when the last time it was in the water so I could have seen there was a issue. Buying from a cop proved to be a bad call lol.

It's crazy it's like the heat pushes the water out through any opening I guess.

Needs heat lamps to steam out. The sun can only do so much. Heat lamps 10 days in a controlled environment and it'll do the trick.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MMosher View Post
    Needs heat lamps to steam out. The sun can only do so much. Heat lamps 10 days in a controlled environment and it'll do the trick.
    Well, I'll give it a shot. Thanks
    Btw what heat lamps are you using? I had inferred ones at the shop but now that I sold the shop I'm SOL.
    Last edited by g352nv; 06-11-2019 at 06:29 PM.

Those are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by dmarcwtr21 View Post
    ok this is gonna sound weird, but, do this, plug the boat up like your gonna put it in the water, take your batteries out and your charger, and fill your bilge up with water and look for the leak
    This sounds like an easy way to find out where the hull may be leaking. Couldn’t this potentially cause other problems?
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

7. Banned
    Motor is off and shes in the sun for now. Ill let the sun do its work in the day and heat lamps at night. 90s for the the next 10 days so far.

So water is coming out of the top left motor mount hole. I can see a bit under the aluminum cap, I pulled it off, and the upper bolt. Nothing from the middle or lower bolts.
    Last edited by g352nv; 06-12-2019 at 04:46 PM.

It'll wick, weep and stream out for a few days.

9. Banned
    It'll wick, weep and stream out for a few days.
    Oh boy, this is going to leave a big stain on the ground lol.

10. Banned
    Well still no leaking out of the other holes. But today she's still dripping out of the top left hole. Btw motor has never been removed on 21 years, pretty crazy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Banned
    Well no more water coming out. I guess Ill just keep it out in the sun for a while anyway.

Yup, and put the lamps on her to steam the water out.

13. Banned
    Yup, and put the lamps on her to steam the water out.
    Yeah I'm still going to go the 2 weeks. I didn't remove the motor to do a half arsed job. Lol

I've been using my shop kerosene jet heater but I'm scared it's going to get too hot.

14. Banned
    Well looks like some good news. I was drilling the old rivets out from the plate that attaches the top and bottom cap on the transom. I got dry wood coming up with the drill bit. Man this might really work.
    Thanks for the advice guys. If it would of been winter I would have probably cut it up lol.

15. Member
    Be sure to seal the motorwell drain tube when you put it back together. I had seen those leak into the transom in the past. It is easy to overlook.

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by huntertn View Post
    Be sure to seal the motorwell drain tube when you put it back together. I had seen those leak into the transom in the past. It is easy to overlook.
    Thanks will do. Shes getting sealed up like never before haha.

17. Banned
    I know how it feels. My ranger was dam near brand new when I picked her up. Last year I installed a new graph and removed the water temp prope that's mounted below the water line at the transom. When I pulled the screw out I noticed water dripping out of the hole. I was so mad... I called ranger, they told me the transom is 100% composite pulltrusion and will take more then a few ounces of water to break it down. I ended up shop vacing the hole then put some heat on her for a week. Once she was good and dry I fill the hole with jb weld glass repair epoxy then geled the hole closed. Sand buff and you can't even tell it was there.
    Hope you get her fixed up, sounds like it's not as bad as you originally thought.

Best of luck.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    I know how it feels. My ranger was dam near brand new when I picked her up. Last year I installed a new graph and removed the water temp prope that's mounted below the water line at the transom. When I pulled the screw out I noticed water dripping out of the hole. I was so mad... I called ranger, they told me the transom is 100% composite pulltrusion and will take more then a few ounces of water to break it down. I ended up shop vacing the hole then put some heat on her for a week. Once she was good and dry I fill the hole with jb weld glass repair epoxy then geled the hole closed. Sand buff and you can't even tell it was there.
    Hope you get her fixed up, sounds like it's not as bad as you originally thought.

Best of luck.
    Yup she's going back together Friday. No water coming from any other hole but that top left one. I pulled all the screws from the transducer and nothing. I'll be sealing up everything, every screw! Dont really want to remove the motor again anytime soon. Haha. It did give me a chance to clean the motor up pretty good though haha.

19. Banned
    Just to close out this thread. I got her back together and so far so good. I might of over done it on the sealer lol

Catch a bunch

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast