Thread: Tire Wear

Tire Wear

I am getting new tires on my Ranger trailer after experiencing one of the rear tires on the tandem threw the tread and apparent steel belt broke loose. (See my thread on the Ranger page:http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=987693)

I took the tires off and left them at my local Sams Club to have Goodyear Endurance installed. I noticed that the front pair of tires both have wear and the start of cupping on the inside edge.

My question is does that mean the trailer is being towed with too high a hitch height or too low? Or is there another problem with the axle? Any ideas?
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    It could be tow height, especially if the axle has brakes.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

How old is the trailer ? Spring suspension or Torsion Bar ? Look at the hangers, bushings, even the center nut on the spindel. May be loose and allowing slop of the bearings. Also, the front tires will "Scuff" as you back up while turning and will cause cupping. It helps if you rotate front to back. I do mine yearly. Helps
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

My trailer is a 2011 tandem with UFP torsion axles. Did a rock test on the wheels and there is just a slight amount of play side to side, nothing abnormal. They have the vault hubs and have never been serviced.
    For a long time when I pull it out of the garage I have noticed in the mirror that the front wheel looks like some reverse camber but it is hard to tell if its always that way or just because I have to make a slight turn as coming out of the door.
    Both front tires wore about the same on inside edge and same amount of cupping. I'm saying cupping but is really ripples or waves on the inside edge. The rear tires looked evenly worn. I thought I had the receiver drop set so the trailer is pretty level
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan