Motor won’t pee under water muff

I have a 2011 SHO 250 and just changed the oil and wanted to check for oil leaks. I have the cone type water muff so I put it on and started the motor. No oil leaks but could not get motor to pee. Revved up the motor and still nothing. Ran motor for just a min or so. On the lake it starts peeing almost instantly. Any suggestions?

2. Member
    Make sure you have the water on full blast and that there are no kinks in the hose. I pull mine completely off the hose reel to make sure. Also let the water run for a couple of minutes with the cone on before firing the motor and make sure you have the cone as tight as it can be on the lower
    2021 Boston Whaler Montauk 170 2021 Merc 115 EXLPT EFI CT serial# 2B801590
    2014 Pathfinder 2200T 2014 Yamaha 250 Sho sold 2000 Allison 2003t 2005 Merc 2.5 280 SS sold

3. Member
    I would not use Muffs. Yamaha does not recommend them on the SHO for a reason, and does not recommend running the engine unless it's in a body of water or a test tank. Easy way to damage the pump. Used to use muffs on a 130 I had years ago before my HPDI but not with the HPDI. With the design of the LU they just don't seal very well either. Increasing the RPM's as you did and not getting a stream is a sure way to ruin the impeller. Check for leaks after a good run on the lake. Stop and pop the cowl and take a gander. If it's going to leak, that's when you will notice, when it fully comes up to temp. If your bent on running it on a hose I would not run it for more than a min and just at idle. Good Luck.
    08 Ranger Reata 210
    Yamaha VMAX 225 HPDI

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reata210 View Post
    I would not use Muffs. Yamaha does not recommend them on the SHO for a reason, and does not recommend running the engine unless it's in a body of water or a test tank. Easy way to damage the pump. Used to use muffs on a 130 I had years ago before my HPDI but not with the HPDI. With the design of the LU they just don't seal very well either. Increasing the RPM's as you did and not getting a stream is a sure way to ruin the impeller. Check for leaks after a good run on the lake. Stop and pop the cowl and take a gander. If it's going to leak, that's when you will notice, when it fully comes up to temp. If your bent on running it on a hose I would not run it for more than a min and just at idle. Good Luck.
    Why does Yamaha sell a muff for the SHO if they don't reccommend using it?

5. Member
    Thank you for the reply.
    I only had the water at 1/2 on. Also noticed that on the water Sunday only had about 12psi. Not sure what it’s suppose to be but to me stream didn’t look very strong. Probably going to put new impeller in just because.

6. Member
    Thank you for all the response.

7. Member
    Yamaha sold them for the HPDI as well, same bullet LU. They do not recommend running the engine out of water. Nothing to discuss there it is Yamaha's recommendation, I'm just mentioning it to the op. I would assume it is because with any of the big block HPDI and SHO engines the hose does not put out enough volume to adequately cool. I used to fog during off season while running my 130 out of water. Yamaha does not recommend that either, so now I just shoot the cylinders with fogging oil. IMO, not worth the risk of damage that can occur to the pump, or worse, from overheating.
    08 Ranger Reata 210
    Yamaha VMAX 225 HPDI

8. Member
    SkeeterToo: Yamaha sold them for the HPDI as well, same bullet LU. They do not recommend running the engine out of water. Nothing to discuss there it is Yamaha's recommendation, I'm just mentioning it to the op. I would assume it is because with any of the big block HPDI and SHO engines the hose does not put out enough volume to adequately cool. I used to fog during off season while running my 130 out of water. Yamaha does not recommend that either, so now I just shoot the cylinders with fogging oil. IMO, not worth the risk of damage that can occur to the pump, or worse, from overheating.
    08 Ranger Reata 210
    Yamaha VMAX 225 HPDI

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reata210 View Post
    SkeeterToo: Yamaha sold them for the HPDI as well, same bullet LU. They do not recommend running the engine out of water. Nothing to discuss there it is Yamaha's recommendation, I'm just mentioning it to the op. I would assume it is because with any of the big block HPDI and SHO engines the hose does not put out enough volume to adequately cool. I used to fog during off season while running my 130 out of water. Yamaha does not recommend that either, so now I just shoot the cylinders with fogging oil. IMO, not worth the risk of damage that can occur to the pump, or worse, from overheating.
    Thanks for the info, I will be sure not to use mine then I don't want any of those issues for sure