Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2019 Charger 296 Question!

Hello,

I have an opportunity to buy a new 2019 296. The boat was recently won at a tournament and has never been in the water. The only thing that has me concerned is that it’s equiped with a 150 hp Pro XS 4 stroke engine. My concern is that it will be extremely under powered and not perform well. Is this a valid concern? Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated. I’m set to purchase the boat this weekend and would like to know what to expect before I make the purchase. I thought about seeing if someone (dealership) would be willing to trade for 200 HP + the cash difference and man hours for install.

Thanks!

2. Member
    296 needs a 200. The 150 will push it to the upper 50s but you will never be happy. 296 is an awesome boat by the way.

3. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    They sold a lot of 195-296 with 150s I guess some don’t care about going over 60.

4. Member
    Thanks for the input. I’m able to purchase the boat for 29K which is why I’m trying to convince myself that the 150 will be ok.

5. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar

6. Member
    Buy it and run!!!!

7. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    You could sell the 150 and get a 200 or just drive it like it is ,either way your in a good spot on a 19 boat.

8. Member

9. Banned
    Nice looking boat.

10. Member
    Yeah, it looks pretty slick. Planning to pick it up tomorrow. I found a local BassCat dealer who said they’d do the swap from a 150 to 200 but apparently the 200 4 stroke is almost impossible to find right now.

11. Member
    Call charger and see if any of their dealers can help you.

Totally jealous man!

12. Member
    Haha it seems like a pretty good deal. I don’t know much of anything about Charger other than they have the old champion hull as a selling point. I’ve tried to find some current info on the 296 with no luck. It appears as though they really only push their 210 elite but I could be wrong. I checked out their FB page and that’s pretty much all they advertise. If you know of any marketing info or videos plz share.

Also, I tried contacting some of the dealers they had listed on their FB page as receiving new 210 elites. 3 to 4 of the ones I called said they don’t carry Charger and only have 1 210 Elite or HAD one. I found that to be strange as they seem like solid boats. Do you know of any dealers? Here in Oklahoma they have a Charger trail so I’m assuming their is a dealership somewhere in the state.

I know the boat I’m about to pick up is a base model but the tandem axle trailer is a nice upgrade. I’ve been looking at boats for a while and I haven’t really seen any 19’ boats with a 200 hp for less than around 43K. At 43K that’s a comprable sized base model boat with a single axle trailer.

13. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    If you skip on it IM me

14. Member
    Will do. I’m headed there right now so I’ll be able to let you know in about 1.5 hrs.

15. Member
    I went ahead and bought it. I figured at that price I couldn’t really lose on a new boat, engine, warranty etc. The seller did say he fielded a call or 2 from Mo in the last day or 2. LOL, Anyone wanna step forward?

16. Member
    Not me, but that was one hell of a deal! Cheaper than any aluminum boat out there!

17. Member
    Haha I think it’ll work for getting my son out and fishing some smaller club tournaments on medium sized lakes around here. I am going to look at upgrading the engine this week if at all possible. Do you know if stepping up to a 175 would offer much improvement or would it just make more sense going to a 200? Wasn’t sure what the cost/benefit ratio looked like.

18. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    200 or bust !

19. Member
    What he said!

20. Banned
    Congratulations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast