Ranger trail fender bunks separating from the fender.

So I've noticed that the carpeted bunk that is attached to the boat side of fender is all sorts of loose. Upon closer inspect, I found that this bunk is just riveted to the fender and a BUNCH of em have pulled out of the fender... Anyone else experience this and have a more permanent solution?

I'm thinking about replacing all the rivets with countersunk bolts and nylon locking nuts.
    united in the pursuit of bass.

I had the same problem on my last Ranger. And, if you check the Ranger Board, you'll see that this is a common problem. The carpeted inner fender is structural component of the trailer and if the inner board comes loose, the fender will vibrate and spider web cracks will develop in the gelcoat. The best solution I have found, and that is recommended by many on the Ranger Board, is to do what you said...use bolts or screws with nylock nuts. While you're at it, drill out any rivets that are not lose and replace those, as well. If you put the screw or bolt through on the carpeted side, put a big fender washer under it to keep it from pulling through. Once you crank the nut on the other side down tight, it will pull the screw/bolt head and the fender washer down into the carpet so that it won't scratch the hull when you load or unload. I did this on my last boat after a couple years and they lasted the remaining 10 years that I had the boat.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Thanks! I'll have to do this at the ramp with the boat in the water...
    united in the pursuit of bass.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    I had the same problem on my last Ranger. And, if you check the Ranger Board, you'll see that this is a common problem. The carpeted inner fender is structural component of the trailer and if the inner board comes loose, the fender will vibrate and spider web cracks will develop in the gelcoat. The best solution I have found, and that is recommended by many on the Ranger Board, is to do what you said...use bolts or screws with nylock nuts. While you're at it, drill out any rivets that are not lose and replace those, as well. If you put the screw or bolt through on the carpeted side, put a big fender washer under it to keep it from pulling through. Once you crank the nut on the other side down tight, it will pull the screw/bolt head and the fender washer down into the carpet so that it won't scratch the hull when you load or unload. I did this on my last boat after a couple years and they lasted the remaining 10 years that I had the boat.
    Exactly what I did, holding up great! My fenders (single axle) also have bolts through the fiberglass to the metal frame of the trailer in a number of places - front, rear and on the middle supports on either side of each tire. I actually removed the fenders with the boat on the trailer in the garage (during the last bit of Winter) to do some rust remediation and paint on the frame behind the fenders, did the nuts/bolts to reattach the bunk boards when that was done. Since I took them completely off, I had a small amount of trouble getting the holes to line up exactly, but was able to use a punch to remedy it. Doing it at the ramp is a great option, as long as there's a place to tie up that won't be in the way. I'm pretty sure there's at least one thread here somewhere with the exact sizes and types for the hardware needed...
    2004 Ranger 619VS