Major Craft Speedstyle casting rods.

Any of you have a speedstyle rod ? Possibly the 6’8 mh ? I wanted to hear some thoughts about the rods. Pros and cons ..

thanks in advance fellas

2. Member
    Well built rods, the reel set is comfortable and the styling is very pleasing to the eye. I don’t use either of mine for feel presentations but I would say they are pretty average for the price point for feel. Some models are two pieces make sure that is something you are ok with.

I got a god deal on mine when I bought them second hand lightly used. Sort of a buy one get one sort of thing.

They are popular in the L and UP models among the BFS guys and those that want a 2 piece rod for quick trips or travel.

If you are expecting them to fish like an Expride or something sort of higher end I don’t think they will deliver that superb crispness and feel. The 6’4 ML casting and 6’4 UL spinning that I have are fun rods and versatile for finesse stuff.

3. Member
    Appreciate the info , that was very helpful. I picked up a 6’8 MH speedstyle 1 piece as an all around rod when I’m fishing the shore / docks and close quarters. Mainly fishing Texas rig up to 3/16 plus bait , jig 3/8 with trailer if needed. I hope it works out because I got a great deal on one. If it is comparable to a zodias im totally fine with that lol.

4. Member
    I think it would suit you well for those applications. If you got a deal on one even better. I wish their product offerings were more mainstream by US dealers. I get that you can order them from Japan or through the MajorCraft USA website but I think the rods would get into more hands if a place like TW would carry some of their middle to higher tier models like the Speedstlye, Corrizza, MSX etc.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Pudd legend View Post
    Appreciate the info , that was very helpful. I picked up a 6’8 MH speedstyle 1 piece as an all around rod when I’m fishing the shore / docks and close quarters. Mainly fishing Texas rig up to 3/16 plus bait , jig 3/8 with trailer if needed. I hope it works out because I got a great deal on one. If it is comparable to a zodias im totally fine with that lol.
    Isn't this the glass model?

6. Member
    I was in the market for a topwater rod last year when a buddy called me that he's selling a bunch of fishing rods. I told him I'm looking for a topwater rod and he said he had one that would work (he had a lot of flipping sticks among other rods). Went over to check it out and it was a nice rod. Was the Speedstyle 6'8" medium. I bought it, tried it out, and man did I have fun catching some fish on top with it. It's a glass composite but still very sensitive. I felt it when the fish first touched the lure. Reel seat is very comfortable (the first generation Lew's Tournament Pro seemed to be made for it). Just the right tip but has good backbone. I was impressed. It was my first dealing with MajorCraft, but was surprised to find that the Speedstyle model is not readily available (TW, for instance). They carry some of their other rods, but not the speedstyle. The only thing I don't like about it is -- surprisingly -- no hook keeper. I found that strange. Seems like all rods have one now days. But I just attached a Fuji instant hook keeper on it with the provided O-ring, and it's all good. Not an attractive add-on, but it does the job. The rod is very nice though, and it would also work great as a jerkbait or small crank rod. Maybe I'll try it one day as a bottom contact rod and see how it is for something like worming.
    Alex Darsen - 2013 Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS
    Fishing is not a matter of life or death.
    It's more serious than that!