Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    the 3.5 eb produces 95% of its pulling power at like 1500 rpm. Being the strongest 1500 pickup on the market I'd say that v8 can't touch it. Technology is a wonderful thing. Golf card or not 0-60 in 6.5 seconds is pretty impressive for a full size pick up that chev can't even come close.
    Ram echo does quite a bit better than the 3.5 EB towing, similar empty and cost far less for long term maintenance
    Thank You Leon Pugh

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Take this for what it is worth from a Ford certified Tech
    The one I prefer, you did not mention which is the RAM echo diesel, not available currently but I am sure it will be back next year since their settlement is done
    As posted earlier the echo boost has to work to hard pulling a load which kills fuel mileage and will shorten engine life
    The Ford 6.7 is the best going in that class I my opinion though the Duramax is very good as well
    Ford has become to arrogant and to proud of their success and is not worth the price differences
    Ram is the most improved over the last 10 years or so and people are starting to notice, increasing their resale value
    the New Ford 3.0 is to new to take a chance on at this time, let others take that risk
    I do not get hung up on badges as they are all just nuts, bolts and software. I make my judgements on my customers comments and what I see during maintenance and repairs on these vehicles
    Consumer reports on new vehicles are worthless
    The ecodiesel was going belly up there for awhile, due in part to the wrong spec oil. I also don’t think the maint on the EB would even come close to the cost of maintaining the ecodiesel. If you’re talking repairs, the diesel will outcost the gas every time.

While still with Ford I could have gotten very deep discount on an EB, No thank you. Chose to buy the echo diesel and have no regrets. The EB is the very worst choice if you tow a lot an expect long life as I do
    25 gallons of def and 5 oil changes in 60 k, what was about maintenance cost
    EB treated right if your towing would have required 15 Oil changes and probably needs the intake valves cleaned by 60 K and used 20% more fuel
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    While still with Ford I could have gotten very deep discount on an EB, No thank you. Chose to buy the echo diesel and have no regrets. The EB is the very worst choice if you tow a lot an expect long life as I do
    25 gallons of def and 5 oil changes in 60 k, what was about maintenance cost
    EB treated right if your towing would have required 15 Oil changes and probably needs the intake valves cleaned by 60 K and used 20% more fuel
    One of my best friends has an F-150, 3.5 Eco with 225,000 miles and tows a 20 ft, Triton weekly in the North Georgia mountains. It hasn't missed a beat.

5. Member
    I've worked as a manufacturers rep for custom vehicle company's for 25+ years. I have the benefit of being in a demo most of the time, and have driven many configurations of different manufacturers trucks. Most of my recent exposure has been Fords running the 6.2/6 speed up until it was discontinued in 2014, then the 5.0/6 speed from 2015 to 2017 and the 5.0 direct injected 10 speeds since 2018. For tax reasons, I purchased a new 2019 Raptor with 3.5 EB and the 10 speed trans. It reminds me of the F250 diesels I had back in the early-mid 2000's, especially when towing. With my 3500# boat in tow, with cruise on, it pulls hills/overpasses easily without downshifting. It just rolls in a little boost as needed and keeps on pulling. No manufacturers 1/2 ton V8 has EVER done that. My recommendation is to stay away from the Raptor if your towing on a regular basis. It's purpose built for off-road use and long suspension travel, which means lower compression spring rates. With only 500-600# tongue weight it's a little spongy in the back. I get about 14.5 mpg towing and 16mpg on the road running 75 on average. Since I dumped the original oil/filter at 3000, I run Pennzoil Ultra Platinum full synthetic with a Wix XP filter(change every 5,000). My nephew has the 2.7 EB in his F150 and gets 20-22 on the road, depending on conditions. He doesn't tow anything that I know of. If I were in the market for a new truck that would be towing on a regular basis it would be an F150 with 3.5 EB and the Max Trailer Tow package. Over 8000#, it would be the F250 Powerstroke. The 10 speed trans is the best thing since sliced brisket, although it had some software issues the first few months we had it in out 5.0 V8's. Two years later, mine runs like a Swiss watch in the Raptor.

I made my choice on what I bought based on the highest resale value, as my purchase was part of a tax strategy. In the months leading up to the purchase, I visited with service managers I know well at 10+ dealerships I've done business with for years. My question was the same to each, "I'm thinking about buying a new truck with the 3.5 EB, is there anything I need to know before I make this move"? All had the same response that the first generation had a few issues, but it's solid now. Many told me their long term customers would never go back to the 5.0 V8, since they went to the 3.5 EB powered trucks. Most dealers told me they keep a few 5.0 V8's around in their farmer trucks("V6 in a truck, HELL NO"), or price point trucks($1500 less $$$).

My disclaimer: Ecoboost 3.5 has been out since 2011. I had never driven one before buying the Raptor, and had only ridden in one once back in 2014.

I have to be very suspicious of claims of 4 full size door, 1/2 ton V8 trucks from any manufacturer getting 20+ mpg. I deal with many dealerships in 10 states and have never heard of this from any of the employees I've questioned about their personal experience. Come on guys, downhill with 30mph tailwinds don't count. I also have to say the Ford Tech that says the 3.5 EB is being pushed to it's limit is sadly mistaken.

My wife's 2018 Honda CR-V 1.5 turbo routinely gets 5 mpg better fuel economy than the 2018 2.4 naturally aspirated CR-V my brother bought his wife. It will also run circles around it. In 2 years, the fuel savings pays the difference in the higher trim level we chose.

I firmly believe turbo's really are a better solution to the needs of low end torque and fuel economy. If you keep a truck 10 years, I could understand questioning the reliability of more parts (turbos and such), therefore more parts to go bad. Hell, I remember my dad being pissed off years ago because he couldn't find the truck he wanted without a power driver seat and power windows.

These are my real world experiences, not he said she said, magazine said, YouTube said. I would be skeptical of the tests and magazine article comparisons as most are skewed. Somebody's paying, somebody's getting paid.

6. Member
    6.2 all the way . I drive an eco everyday as a work truck and also drive the 6.2 occasionally. The eco has all kinds of power as long as your driving it like you stole it. Typical driving it's very weak and sudders constantly like it can barely go without downshifting. The 6.2 will give you the same or better fuel economy with real power all thru the range instead of only when you ramp the turbos.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jburtt View Post
    I've worked as a manufacturers rep for custom vehicle company's for 25+ years. I have the benefit of being in a demo most of the time, and have driven many configurations of different manufacturers trucks. Most of my recent exposure has been Fords running the 6.2/6 speed up until it was discontinued in 2014, then the 5.0/6 speed from 2015 to 2017 and the 5.0 direct injected 10 speeds since 2018. For tax reasons, I purchased a new 2019 Raptor with 3.5 EB and the 10 speed trans. It reminds me of the F250 diesels I had back in the early-mid 2000's, especially when towing. With my 3500# boat in tow, with cruise on, it pulls hills/overpasses easily without downshifting. It just rolls in a little boost as needed and keeps on pulling. No manufacturers 1/2 ton V8 has EVER done that. My recommendation is to stay away from the Raptor if your towing on a regular basis. It's purpose built for off-road use and long suspension travel, which means lower compression spring rates. With only 500-600# tongue weight it's a little spongy in the back. I get about 14.5 mpg towing and 16mpg on the road running 75 on average. Since I dumped the original oil/filter at 3000, I run Pennzoil Ultra Platinum full synthetic with a Wix XP filter(change every 5,000). My nephew has the 2.7 EB in his F150 and gets 20-22 on the road, depending on conditions. He doesn't tow anything that I know of. If I were in the market for a new truck that would be towing on a regular basis it would be an F150 with 3.5 EB and the Max Trailer Tow package. Over 8000#, it would be the F250 Powerstroke. The 10 speed trans is the best thing since sliced brisket, although it had some software issues the first few months we had it in out 5.0 V8's. Two years later, mine runs like a Swiss watch in the Raptor.

I made my choice on what I bought based on the highest resale value, as my purchase was part of a tax strategy. In the months leading up to the purchase, I visited with service managers I know well at 10+ dealerships I've done business with for years. My question was the same to each, "I'm thinking about buying a new truck with the 3.5 EB, is there anything I need to know before I make this move"? All had the same response that the first generation had a few issues, but it's solid now. Many told me their long term customers would never go back to the 5.0 V8, since they went to the 3.5 EB powered trucks. Most dealers told me they keep a few 5.0 V8's around in their farmer trucks("V6 in a truck, HELL NO"), or price point trucks($1500 less $$$).

My disclaimer: Ecoboost 3.5 has been out since 2011. I had never driven one before buying the Raptor, and had only ridden in one once back in 2014.

I have to be very suspicious of claims of 4 full size door, 1/2 ton V8 trucks from any manufacturer getting 20+ mpg. I deal with many dealerships in 10 states and have never heard of this from any of the employees I've questioned about their personal experience. Come on guys, downhill with 30mph tailwinds don't count. I also have to say the Ford Tech that says the 3.5 EB is being pushed to it's limit is sadly mistaken.

My wife's 2018 Honda CR-V 1.5 turbo routinely gets 5 mpg better fuel economy than the 2018 2.4 naturally aspirated CR-V my brother bought his wife. It will also run circles around it. In 2 years, the fuel savings pays the difference in the higher trim level we chose.

I firmly believe turbo's really are a better solution to the needs of low end torque and fuel economy. If you keep a truck 10 years, I could understand questioning the reliability of more parts (turbos and such), therefore more parts to go bad. Hell, I remember my dad being pissed off years ago because he couldn't find the truck he wanted without a power driver seat and power windows.

These are my real world experiences, not he said she said, magazine said, YouTube said. I would be skeptical of the tests and magazine article comparisons as most are skewed. Somebody's paying, somebody's getting paid.
    I have a 2015 F150 with the 5.0 V8, with towing package and 3.55 gears. Without towing, I got 22 to 23.5 MPG highway and around 15.5 in town. I put 4.09 gears in it and highway milage remained the same while city driving got better by 1 MPG. While these gears seem low for us older folks, with the final tranny ratio of 0.69, the 3.55 gear final drive = 2.45 gearing. The 4.09 rear gears = 2.82 final gearing. Both highway gears.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nmaxwell0003 View Post
    They must make them different in Canada or you never get it above 65 because no way in hell would my f250 gas get 22 unloaded on the interstate or 15 pulling a boat. It’s a 2017 f250 lariat 6.2 crew cab 4x4 and is a beast of a truck pulling boats but unloaded running 80 on interstate I get 14-15 and pulling a 21’ bass boat with cruise at 80 I get 10-11.
    Had a 13 F250, horrible gas mileage and serious DEF issues. Ask the dealer what happens when your DEF system decides you have dirty DEF.

I can’t speak for the EB, but I’ve owned two 6.2 Chevys (6 and 8 speed trannys) and they are beasts. Great mpg and all the power all the time you’ll ever need.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kybluebullet View Post
    6.2 all the way . I drive an eco everyday as a work truck and also drive the 6.2 occasionally. The eco has all kinds of power as long as your driving it like you stole it. Typical driving it's very weak and sudders constantly like it can barely go without downshifting. The 6.2 will give you the same or better fuel economy with real power all thru the range instead of only when you ramp the turbos.
    Your work Eco must need a shop visit. The benefit of the Eco is its low RPM torque. I barely ever have to get in the gas and it will haul the mail.
    It make more TQ as a lower RPM than any of the V-8's. My sister owns a F150 Platinum with the 6.2 beast, and my Eco does better off the line and pulling. Get the RPM's up on her truck and it will break the tires loose at 20 mph and that's with 22 inch wheels and 33 in tires.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    Car and Driver tested the 2019 Chevy High Country with the 6.2. 0-60 in 5.4. So if the EB does it in 6.5, I think your right about the Chevy not even coming close.
    From Motor Trend: Silverado High Country accelerates from 0 to 60 mph in 6.0 seconds and runs the quarter in 14.4 seconds at 98.3 mph.

The Limited F150 is the fasted truck ever tested behind the old SRT Dodge with the Viper engine.
    From Car and Driver: At 5.1 seconds to 60 mph and 13.7 seconds in the quarter-mile at 102 mph, it's also more acceleratively endowed than the 420-hp 6.2-liter V-8 in the top-of-the-line Chevy Silverado
    Last edited by Cajunhunter67; 06-10-2019 at 04:07 AM.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Back to the op’s question, id just pick the one you get the best deal in and you will have a hell of a truck

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner6901 View Post
    Back to the op’s question, id just pick the one you get the best deal in and you will have a hell of a truck
    This right here is money. I'm a ford guy and after my dad owning 3 chevy's now, I'd probably not own one, but it is personal preference as I like the options (creecher comforts which my dad agrees with) on my ford better, also had a buddy recently go from a 2014 5.0L F150 to a 5.3L silverado and thought his old Ford was much better for comfort as he travels a lot for work. All of them are great trucks and I have seen all of them fail at 600-10k miles and live until 300k miles without issue.

If I were you I'd drive all of them and make the pick on your instincts as they will all be great. The chances of failure are probably about the same on all of them as well.

14. Member
    I just pulled my travel trailer home to central AR from the Smoky Mountains yesterday. It was 637 miles and I got 11.7 MPG. I had gotten 10.7 on the way there but I ran cruise control quite a bit and it's a little more climbing on the way there. Yeah I know you shouldn't run cruise when towing but I did anyway and it would shift a lot and stayed in 8th a lot more than I would just using my foot. On the way home I didn't run cruise at all and deleted 10th gear off the shift pattern completely. It rarely slips into 10th anyway when in tow/haul and pulling that kind of weight but it would on occasion. I don't care about the Ford/Chevy/Ram debate or V6 turbo driven versus V8 argument either. Everyone needs to drive what they want but I've been impressed with the Ecoboost and I'm not disappointed with 11.7 MPG pulling a big heavy square travel trailer at highway speeds down the interstate, and I had plenty of power to pass vehicles and pull steep hills. In fact I was pulling into the left lane on steep hills and easily passing the big trucks and never once stuck it all the way to the floor.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    Car and Driver tested the 2019 Chevy High Country with the 6.2. 0-60 in 5.4. So if the EB does it in 6.5, I think your right about the Chevy not even coming close.
    Keep smoking your horse poop. F150 is fastest production pick up. So yes I'm right chev not even close
    they do look nice with a light lift and tires tho...

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by oldmanwinter View Post
    Fuel consumption showing 11-5 litres per 100 kilometers running at 110 kph. have made a few long trips and gas consumption has been pretty good. From Winnipeg down to Minneapolis and I still had a quarter of a tank to spare. I have a brother with a 2018 F150 and I get better gas millage than he does. All I know is that my wife hates long trips, I don't stop till I need gas so she is much happier when I have the fifth wheel and boat on the back so she knows that I have to stop at least every three and a half hours,
    In American English he says; Fuel consumption is showing 3.04 gallons per 52 miles running 68 miles per hour. That's 17 miles per U.S. gallon. That would appear to be about normal for the Ford 6.2 engine.

17. Banned
    Keep smoking your horse poop. F150 is fastest production pick up. So yes I'm right chev not even close
    There are a number of pickup truck drag races on YouTube.com. The Ford is the fastest in the 1/4 mile--by quite a bit. Put a 5 Star tune on the ECU, and it's another 85 hp and much quicker, even. There are very few Supercars of the 60's and 70's that will run with an Ecoboost 3.5 engine in a drag.

The 6.2 GM engine is also a very strong motor. It just doesn't have anything on the twin turbocharged Ford. The Ram Hemi is slightly slower than the 6.2 GM engine, but still no slouch.

I saw one drag race where the 3.5 Ecoboost had a 5.0 Coyote engine up against it. The Coyote was surprisingly fast at about 1 truck length slower in the 1/4 mile. But the drag was at 5000 ft. elevation in Colorado. If both vehicles had been at sea level, I wouldn't be surprised if the 5.0 V-8 would be faster in the 1/4 mile than the 3.5 Ecoboost.

18. Banned
    This all-wheel-drive crew-cab High Country lunges from zero to 60 mph in 5.4 seconds, beating similarly configured versions of the F-150 Platinum V-8 (5.9 seconds), the Hemi-powered Ram Laramie (6.1 seconds), and the 5.7-liter Tundra (6.4 seconds). Its quarter-mile time of 13.9 seconds at 100 mph also leads the V-8 field, with the Ford the next closest at 14.4 seconds and others further behind. The EcoBoost-powered F-150 Limited, however, is quicker still, hitting 60 mph in 5.1 seconds and vanquishing the quarter-mile in 13.7 at 102 mph.

Oh no!!!! The 3.5 H.O. is 3/10's of a second faster 0-60 and 2/10's of a second faster in the quarter......oooooooo. The 3.5 H.O. only comes in the Limited and Raptor.

19. Banned
    Are people here really stupid enough to buy a truck because they want to drag race with them? Seems there’s better options out there to do that with. I buy trucks because they have beds and can pull trailers, these bickerings over 0-60 times is stupid.

20. Member
    I believe one of the most noticeable traits of the EB is that it pulls more like a diesel. JBurtt mentioned it above. I have owned 3 diesel trucks prior to my EB. While pulling my boat and getting into hills, instead of continuing to downshift to keep the RPM's in the power curve (like a V8) it just builds boost and keeps pulling. Don't get me wrong, sometimes I do miss the sound of a V8 with duals, but the low RPM torque of the EB cant be beat.
    When I do want that good V8 growl, I will go borrow my sisters F150 Limited with the 6.2ltr.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast