water PSI vs temp optimax 150

optimax 150 1B044209

I bought the vessle view mobile and wanted to use it mostly for monitoring water psi. turns out my water psi sensor is shot instantly reads 40psi on power on. the replacement 881879A7 sensor new here is 260 plus tax. (no thanks) attempted at using alternative cheaper options that are used on newer opti's (quick silver pn 8m6000623) (china knock off ones) but that flopped as well as the sensors received were constantly defective. (not overly shocked but figure it was worth a shot) got a full refund regardless...

I had an analog water psi gauge but that froze over (by previous owner) I decided to try and fix it. I did manage to get the needle back down to 0 and it does read idle pressure but I HIGHLY doubt the reading will be even close to accurate as I effected the integrity of the "unit" re setting it to read back to 0 with no pressure.

Until I order a new water psi gauge can I rely on my motor temp reading from the VVM to judge whether or not im getting sufficient cooling? (maybe even rely on the motor temp for this season)

I was running motor on muffs not long ago and the idle temp would hover from 149 to 151 then back down to 149 consistently.
    2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209

2. Member
    Have you made sure the water pressure sensor is actually hooked up or turned on. Not sure but I think there is analog to digital converter and it may not be I configured correctly. But I’m sure someone more familiar will be able to help soon. Your water temps seem good.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

3. Member
    I know the vvm module is picking up the water sensor as it will give me a warning that theres an issue with water pressure if I unplug the sensor

Its brought up readings on various sensors I tested.

The only sensor actually reading out to 0 was my pitot sensor but it didnt register any psi on idle. The other sensors I'm assuming where faulty as they read high.

My original sensor pn 881879-9 that came with motor reads 40.2 psi on power up

I tested another sensor 881879-6 (my pitot ) it reads 0 psi on power on

Tested 881879-11 read 39.9 psi

Then tried 2 different knock off quick silver pai sensors pn 8m6000623 1 read 39.9 the other was 40.1 or so

I tested the 8m6000623 sensors as those are used on the 2010 opti from what I saw. No dice. I tested the other sensors to see if it may have been an issue with my wiring or something but doesnt seem like it's an electrical issue on my side and is a sensor is

sue

Will be nice if I can just use my motor temp as a baseline until I get funds for another psi gauge
    2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209

4. Member
    If the analog gauge froze it cannot be repaired, it must be replaced.

While you can rely on engine temperature as an indicator, you won't know if you have adequate pressure to keep the engine happy. IMHO, for an Optimax, water pressure and temp, are equally important, but if I had to "make do" with only one, I'd choose temperature, watch it like a hawk, and get the water pressure situation resolved ASAP.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You likely have a wiring problem- the Block pressure sensor used on any Optimax Product manufactured after July 1, 2001 would work with your engine.

Didn't we have a conversation about this in the recent past? And some wrong-part number sensors you were buying that were 100 psi PITOT sensors (not water pressure sensors)?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Yea don. The <taboo edit> sensor I got lined up was supposed to be pn 881879a7 seller didnt know better and ended up sending me a pitot 0-100psi sensor.

My own pitot sensor shows 0 psi in the block pressure plug. But didnt read any pressure on idle on muffs. I never bothered to test it on the water as mentioned it wouldnt read correctly anyways. I mainly tested to see if it would fault like the others I have.

1 used Ebay one faulty. 2 knock off china ones faulty (read online 1 other person with same outcome) which was fixed going to new oem.

I didnt want to derail thread on these block psi sensors. But it was stuck in my head....

My main concern was if I could relay on water temp reading from my vvm in the mean time I dont have a water psi reading.

Shocking enough though..... my analog water psi gauge is reading spot on.. 2psi idle 15-17iish wot.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 06-13-2019 at 11:17 AM.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Since this engine's PCM monitors and relies on the Water (Block) Pressure info, I would get the CORRECT, OEM SENSOR INSTALLED as soon as possible (preferably before running on the water).

Frustrating, I know... but that's why we don't mention or support the "bay" here in the Forums.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Hi Don,

I thought this sensor was an optional "add on" for this motor? Other then throwing an alarm if the psi is too low what else does it control? (I cant imagine it would control certain things such as relation to fuel flow or what not) ?

yea Don I know how "the bay" crap goes... it was a hail marry to say the least... lol

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    PCM utilizes Block Pressure as one of it's inputs to determine health of the cooling system. Low Block Pressure can cause engine Guardian and a Reduction in Available Power.

Block pressure is a STANDARD FEATURE on ALL OPTIMAX PRODUCT.

10. Member
    ahh ok I didn't know it was standard on all the opti's ! good to know. thanks!!