Ulterra? good Bad the ugly

I am considering replacing my terrova with an ulterra, us 2, ipilot.
    for those of you that have them can you tell me what you think.
    I don want something with a lot of problems I like my terrova but
    its always been just a little hard to launch. with my bad back I thought the ultra might be better
    for me. please let me now what you think.
    shawn

2. Member
    I've had mine for over a year now and it's been a real help to someone like me with back and mobility issues. Had to put a grass cutter on it because it's not as good as my previous Fortrex in the heavy stuff. The Shank works really good. I also have found that I'm using the buttons (left, right & constant on/off) on the pedal more that the pedal itself. I really like the motor.
    Alweld 1856 Stick Steer with 70 Yamaha
    Dual Power Pole Blades/ Helix 10 MSI
    80# Ulterra Link/2 Ionic Lithium 50s/ShuttleSlide Mount

USAF Ret

3. Member
    I'm going on my 3rd year with the Ulterra gen2 and it has been flawless. Initially I just used the remote but like RichW I now rely on the pedal more than the remote. Launching solo at a ramp with a courtesy dock is very easy with the Ulterra.
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Mercury Spitfire X7 19” prop
    51 mph @ 6240 rpms (RPMs from Vessel View Mobile) : full fuel tank and fishing load by myself
    4.2 second Hole Shot (measured using Vessel View Mobile)
    Engine mounted in 3rd hole
    Minn Kota Ulterra-Link w/built in MDI 80 lb thrust 60” shaft
    Humminbird Helix 12si Gen1 chirp on console
    Humminbird Helix 15si Gen4 cho on bow
    Humminbird Mega360

Dotline two step transom boarding ladder
    Tracker trailer bow boarding step

4. Member
    Spot lock on gen 2 is outstanding. I still just use the remote. Tried to use the pedal but couldn’t get used to it. I have had some issues with it but finally got a new motherboard and all works now. I give Minn Kota customer service a C+.

5. Member
    Had mine since Christmas and have not had any issues.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joe3buck3 View Post
    I'm going on my 3rd year with the Ulterra gen2 and it has been flawless. Initially I just used the remote but like RichW I now rely on the pedal more than the remote. Launching solo at a ramp with a courtesy dock is very easy with the Ulterra.
    Same with me...no problems. Won’t ever be without one!
    2013 Ranger Z521, 250 ProXS

7. Member
    thanks Guys, I took the plunge and ordered one. had some BPS gift cards to burn up anyway that were getting old.

One feature you gain with the Ulterra over the Terrova is the power trim feature when you get hung up in shallow water on a point or near the bank it will save you a lot of grief and you won't hear that grinding sound of rock against trolling motor lower unit. Also remember to make a copy of the manual stow instructions and keep them in your boat along with the emergency stow strap that comes with the motor. I have had one since they first came out and have since installed the Bluetooth upgrade kit with probably over a thousand stow and deploy never an issue yet has been super reliable. Make sure you use good batteries Ulterra's are super sensitive to voltage outputs.

Tournament-Fishing \"It\'s not a question of if you will be humbled but how many times\"

9. Member
    I'm a little late but would have told you to stay with the terrova. 2nd Gen Ulterra here and I hold my breathe everytime it stow and deploy.

10. Member
    May I ask you what problems you've experienced with the Ulterra? Knock on wood it's been reliable for me. I've had both shoulders replaced and back surgery and it's been a blessing so far. Mr. Jones recommended me getting one once I told him of my ailments.