Question Prop-to-pad on a 2001 196

Morning all.

My prop-to-pad measurement on this boat as been 3 3/8" (3.375") for forever and a day. I was running a 25" TR04 for a long time, that was actually closer to 26" as measured by Mark Croxton. Obviously, my measly 200HP Optimax won't turn that thing, and I was running at about 5200 RPM. I'm not a speed freak and was fine with it for a long time, getting about 64-65 MPH (GPS) out of it.

Fast forward to this spring...My TR04 had taken some damage and I was interested in re-propping. So, I bought a used (but perfect condition) 24" Razor 4XL from a forum member, and put her on. No other changes to set up. This past weekend, I was able to stretch her out a little, with about half a tank of gas and full fishing load, 2 guys and empty livewells. Got up to 63.5 and 5320 RPM. Still have room for about 400 RPM increase. Diameter on this prop is (I think) 15 1/8", so it's a big wheel.

I spoke to Mark and he advised me to raise it up and see what happens. I'll be doing a little testing soon and recording data. I'm hoping that getting to the 2.75" to 2.5" range will get me the 400 RPM I'm looking for and get to the upper 60's.

Any thoughts on this?

I could always go to a 25" Tempest, but I like having a 4 blade wheel and the testing and data collection is kinda fun as well.

Thanks for any inputs...

2. Banned
    Just have to watch the water psi, I have a 198 which is close enough to yours. I can keep good psi as shallow as 2” (Bravo xs) but my steering goes to hell, anything less than 3” on my boat and I have to fight the steering. After jacking around with mine and trying thousands of dollars worth of props, I went back to a Tempest at 3 3/4” inches. It’s just handles the best on my boat at that depth.

You would maybe need a 24” Tempest though, a 25 might not get your rpms up. Just like now, you would be better off with a 23 Razor than the 24, bigger pitch doesn’t always mean faster if your motor can’t turn it. I run faster with a 24 Tempest than I did with a 25 Tempest.

Grout, what GPS speed are you running with that Tempest?

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizzou211 View Post
    Grout, what GPS speed are you running with that Tempest?

Best ive run was 68 (one of those cold crisp mornings), but most times it’s 65-67. My boat has a gator hull, kind of like a rhino lining type material, so I lose some speed from its friction. When I ran the 25 I couldn’t get over 61mph with it, my motor was lugging too badly with it. I sold it to a guy here and it hauled ass on his Triton, he was running mid 70’s with it. Odd how my boat hated it.

My buddy has a 196 and we tried all my props on it. My 24 Tempest was the fastest on his, 66mph if I remember correctly; but he ended up buying my Bravo xs 24 from me. It runs about 64-65 for him. He really liked how the Bravo handles on his boat, I didn’t really care for how it made mine ride. From what I can tell, the Bravo & Razor are really close to being the same prop.

If I could swap him boats, I’d think hard about doing it. The 196 has way more leg room than my 198 has. The 198 deck is a tad wider though. But I like how his boat handles.

5. Member
    Mark, I'd jack that Razor XL to 2-1/2" below the pad and start there. Save a lot of time just getting there. I've run the original Razor 4, Razor 4XL, Turbo TXP OT4s, Bravos, Fury 4s, and a few other 4 blades. They all would run at 2.5" below the pad. Turbo TXPs @ 2" - 1-3/4" below. The Razor 4XL is not what I would call a fast prop, but it will get you a very good hole shot once you jack it up.

As grout-scout noted, always keep an eye on water pressure.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

6. Member
    I run a 26 tempest on my 196 at 2.5 inches below pad. My motor is a 3.3 200 Yamaha with a phase kit. I would raise until you lose lift and watch water pressure.

Thanks for the help guys...

I'm going to go straight to 2.5 inches and see what happens. I'm not going to play around with heights a lot either. May a couple of tries is all. If I can get the RPMs up, have at least 15 PSI and she doesn't handle like a pig, I'll stop there and leave it alone.

If not, I'm going for either a Bravo I or Tempest and get to decent numbers and leave it alone.

8. Pat Goff
    Boat setup 101: Take it too far and bring it back.
    You need to know what too high is, and you need to know what too low is.
    If you're gonna do it, do it correctly: With your full load, run it, make 1/4" adjustments up until you lose speed/lift/water pressure, then back down a click. If you just jump to a big number, you'll never know where correct will be.

No two boats are identical, what works on mine does not mean it'll work on yours.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

9. Member
    I'm far from an expert, but 2.5" sounds awful high for a champ with a full load of gear, full wells, and a couple guys. I gotta defer to Pat on this one, if it was mine I'd start by dropping it to 3.75, and going up a little at a time, I'd be willing to bet ya a Big Mac that you end up at less than 2.5" below the pad before the boat stops lifting enough to break the chines loose and get up on the pad. I've not set up as many as Pat, but I've never run a champ that ran out of water pressure before it ran out of lift.

10. Banned
    The 4 blades run completely different than 3 blades, on pad is completely changed. I think he can run 2.5 pretty easily with a 4 blade, but I too would work up in 1/4”-1/2” increments.

Don’t drop your socket into the deep blue abyss while adjusting your plate, pull into a shallow cove. I speak from experience...

11. Member
    I've only tried a Trophy and a Mazco HP4, on a 203/225 opti, but neither of those props kept lift at anything higher than 3" below. I do run trim extenders, so that might have something to do with it. I just wasn't impressed with either prop, and went back to the tempest. YMMV.

12. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    A lot has to do with what you are running for a motor too and it's gearcase gear ratio. An OMC case likes to run deeper on some hulls as opposed to other vendors. As Pat sez its all trial and error. My hull is dialed in to how I like to drive and how I want my motor to perform. I'm getting older and don't need to try and get the N'th degree out of the motor, they cost too much to replace.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    A lot has to do with what you are running for a motor too and it's gearcase gear ratio. An OMC case likes to run deeper on some hulls as opposed to other vendors. As Pat sez its all trial and error. My hull is dialed in to how I like to drive and how I want my motor to perform. I'm getting older and don't need to try and get the N'th degree out of the motor, they cost too much to replace.

Why is it the Old OMC like to run deeper??

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mixermark View Post
    I've only tried a Trophy and a Mazco HP4, on a 203/225 opti, but neither of those props kept lift at anything higher than 3" below. I do run trim extenders, so that might have something to do with it. I just wasn't impressed with either prop, and went back to the tempest. YMMV.
    I’m not a prop expert, but the Bravo & Razor xl are huge props at 15 1/8”. That might be why they can run at surface level better.