Question Group trip last week of August, looking for big smallies "locally". Suggestions?

I've got the last week of August off for a fishing vacation. First purely fishing vacation I've done as an adult, so I'm excited. Looking for recommendations for places to stay for a group of 4-6 people, with 2-3 boats. I/we are flexible in where we go. The main goal is to go somewhere we can get into a bunch of BIG smallies. We want to be chasing 5+ pounders as often as possible. Champlain would be the best/most convenient spots to fish, but I don't think it's quite got the number of 5's and bigger like the St Lawrence does. But then again, I only have fishing reports, TV shows, and BASS Elite events to go off of for what I know of Champlain.

The lakes & areas I'm kicking around right now are:

Champlain for the whole week near Burlington (I also LOVE my craft beer so that would be a good spot to be at)

Champlain for a half week (same area) then down to Candlewood for a half week

St Lawrence River for the whole week in or near Clayton, NY (this is pretty much the furthest I'm willing to drive, looked at some other great spots but the drive distances are pretty rough)

Any area really in Maine. I love the idea of being deep in the back woods away from everyone and everything, and bouncing around a couple of lakes.

I'm wide open to other suggestions! I thought about Erie but I'll admit, that's a bit on the far side for drive time for me. That and I don't know if there's enough smaller water nearby to fish if the wind becomes an issue on Erie, and I've only got my 19' Skeeter. Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by Reel Northern Bass; 06-06-2019 at 01:24 PM.

St. Lawrence would get my vote in that scenario.
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

3. Member
    Cobbessconte or Long Pond In Maine,both have good accommodations and the fishing is great
    Red Sox in 6!

Quote Originally Posted by yanknbass View Post
    St. Lawrence would get my vote in that scenario.
    This place^
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

5. Member
    So I think if I actually had a true man fishing vacation the St. LAWRENCE would be #1 on my list. I've toyed with the idea of going out there in Sept. I have a few friends out that way and they say the place is nuts.
    Erie is just too far and like you said if the wind kicks up you are screwed. A buddy in my club went out there last year on a guided trip and couldn't fish 2 out of 3 days due to wind.
    Champlain would be #2.

6. Member
    Cobby in ME or how about the Finger Lakes Region in NY. Cayuga would get my vote
    5 Short of a limit

7. Member
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Right now, St Lawrence River is our top choice, with the intent of going for the whole week. Looking to stay in/around the Clayton area, and then we'll have easy backup options for smaller places around there if the wind is an issue on the river. Also puts us in a spot to either fish the river, or fish Lake Ontario, depending on how weather cooperates.

So, here's some over 5, but caught in mid May. Seymour Lake, east of Champlain.
    BTW, all caught on Rocky Ledge spinnerbaits in 45 degree water.

Seymour Lake 013.jpgSeymour Lake 018.jpgSeymour Lake 015.jpgIMAG1003.jpg
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

Wow, and I wasted time going to Memphramagog
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

Quote Originally Posted by Capw View Post
    Wow, and I wasted time going to Memphramagog
    Not really, because we were there last year and it was too early. Only caught one smallie in Seymour, went to Memph, and caught a bunch of fish in South Bay.

You just have to hit Seymour at the right time.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

11. Member
    Circling back on this to say thank you for all of the input. Settled in on the St Lawrence River and Lake Ontario, staying outside of Clayton, NY for 8 days during the last week of August. Beyond excited for this trip!

Hope you have a 36 volt trolling motor to fish for small mouth no the St Lawrence. The current will be ripping through there with the high water they had this spring.

If you don't have a 36 volt you will need to sight fish in the eddy, still a great way to catch them. You may get lucky with Ontario but with hurricane season coming up you will most likely get some wind that time of year.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bass View Post
    Hope you have a 36 volt trolling motor to fish for small mouth no the St Lawrence. The current will be ripping through there with the high water they had this spring.

If you don't have a 36 volt you will need to sight fish in the eddy, still a great way to catch them. You may get lucky with Ontario but with hurricane season coming up you will most likely get some wind that time of year.
    I've got a 24v, but going out to buy two new Group 31 1,000 MCA batteries to replace my current Group 27's. Still won't be as good as the 36v setup, but it's a close second.