Ultrex on an Alpha 191

Hey guys, I have a 2014 Alpha 191 and am looking to put an Ultrex on it. Currently I have a MK Maxxum 74# thrust, 24 volt, 45" shaft. It does not seem to pull the boat as well as I'd like, and for sure does not hold well in a strong wind. I'm using two Everstart 27 series batteries I bought last May when I bought the boat. This TM just does not perform the way I'd like. I don't believe it's the batteries because it performed like this when the batteries were brand new last year. I am considering adding power poles and/or Talons as well so deciding on the 24v system vs the 36v as well. So for those of you that have the 191 the questions are as follows:

1) Do any of you run a 36v system for the trolling motor?
    2) Is there enough space to use a bigger series i.e. 29's or 31's? ( It looks like I have about an inch to an inch and a half of space width wise for bigger batteries)
    3) Does the 80# Ultrex move your boat well and hold in big water and big wind?
    4) I'd like to get the 36v 101# with a 52" shaft because I will eventually get a bigger boat. Will the 52" shaft fit on this boat without it hanging out over the edge or blocking the passenger side rod box, etc?

Hopefully you guys with 191's can lead me down the most effective path.

I have a 2013 Alpha 191 single console.

I have a 36V Fortrex 101 with 3 Everstart MaXX 29's. I would not recommend getting anything less than the 112 Ultrex if you do. You can always use less power than you have but never more. I have the 45" shaft and I know guys with the V20 that also use the 45. Unless you fish big big water like the great lakes you don't need the 52". In fact the 52" can become annoying in shallow water.... Also I have 2 power pole blades on my boat and I was able to squeeze the pumps into the rear behind my driver's side seat. I still have full use of both compartments behind driver's and passenger seat.

Feel free to shoot me a PM, or email and I could get you some pictures of my set up.

Hope this helps!!

-Steve

3. Member
    Thanks Steve. PM sent!!

keep in mind the 112 weighs, like, a trillion lbs. maybe only a billion, but whatever it is, its a lot more than a maxuum + an 80lb battery.

Fortrex 112 with 45" shaft: Approx 67lbs
    Ultrex 112 with 45" shaft: 85lbs

About a 20lb difference. but well worth the benefits.