Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking at buying a brand new boat Ranger/Crestliner/Tracker

Looking at buying a new boat soon. Been looking at Ranger 198 Crestliner PT18/VT19, and Tracker195. I am looking for ride, stability and room. I am really set on the Ranger. Crestliner is nice too. Tracker would be nice but I hear the compartments dont seal well and are not that great. Any feedback would be great.

2. Member
    Can't say enough goods things about my 198P. The ride is great, very stable and tons of room.

I'm sure the crestliner would be similar. Tracker makes a great boat also!

3. Member
    I hear the Ranger is a great ride and very stable with lots of room. I hear the tracker is nice ride but unstable when your fishing

4. Member
    the RT 198 is a great platform to fish. you can go very shallow and will handle some rough water.
    easy to tow and great on gas.
    just make sure you pick the right motor.......
    or better yet buy it from the right dealer

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pursuit angler View Post
    Looking at buying a new boat soon. Been looking at Ranger 198 Crestliner PT18/VT19, and Tracker195. I am looking for ride, stability and room. I am really set on the Ranger. Crestliner is nice too. Tracker would be nice but I hear the compartments dont seal well and are not that great. Any feedback would be great.
    Of those three I would expect the ranger and tracker to ride better and the crestliner to be a little roomier and stable. All three would be very similar in terms of your criteria though and the differences would be splitting hairs. I would also expect all three to have fairly dry compartments but all 3 will let some water in.

6. Member
    Vexus would be my choice hands down. My buddy bought one and everything about it is
    better done than my Triton 18TX (same as RT 188). It rides like a glass boat.

Ought to consider an xpress.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

8. Member
    It’s a simple, yet highly subjective formula of quality versus price. What level of quality (standard options, options, layout, aesthetics, etc) matches the associated price that works for you? I looked at all three of those plus the vexus and landed on the Ranger. Not saying it’s the best of the group, but the math worked for me personally.

If there is a problem, I would rather work with Ranger. You have to consider that nothing is built perfectly every time, and the position you would be in if you had a manufacturer that did not do what should be done. Ranger takes care of their customers.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

10. Member
    Ranger, but my dealer sells 'em. Worry about the dealer, not the brand.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

11. Member
    Have you been shopping online or have you actually looked at all three brands in person? I too considered all three of those brands in the next size down (models VT18/PT18, RT188 and 190) last year.

Just my opinion, but I have to say that I was not that impressed with the Crestliner VT. Walking on the front deck, you could definitely feel the aluminum give as you walked around it and my son said that he could actually see it dip as I walked on it. I also thought that the plastic console looked cheap and I didn't like the unfinished look of the storage compartments with the rubber mat in them. The carpet also seemed lesser quality than the others. The PT deck was sturdy but the rest mirrored the VT (carpet, console, etc.). I was disappointed because I truly believe the Crestliner multi-species rigs that are so popular here in the upper midwest are excellent boats. There was just something missing with the Crestliner bass boats.

I thought that the Tracker was nice. I do not like how they sit in the water though. However, I found a leftover 2018 Ranger RT. I thought the Ranger was a little nicer, better seats, larger locators, better trolling motor, etc. Since it was a leftover, I actually got it cheaper than the Tracker.

Another thing to keep in mind is motor brand. The Tracker and Crestliner will only be available with a Mercury. If you aren't interested in a Mercury, I guess the Ranger will have to be your choice.
    Last edited by madmurph; 06-09-2019 at 08:21 AM.

12. Member
    I'm with madmurph, I went in thinking Crestliner and when I started looking they were not as well built as a Tracker, especially the VT models. My opinion of course. I went to a dealer shortly after a hard rain and almost every compartment on the VT was wet. My brother in law has a Tracker and it is a nice boat. I ended up with a Polar Kraft 195 just to have something different and had toured their factory while on vacation last year and saw how well they are constructed. Definitely buy what suits your needs best and a good dealer is very important.

13. Member
    Vexus is the only way to go I was dead set on ranger until I looked at the vexus and found out bass pro owns ranger and now the service is not good very happy with the vexus and as far as prices there all pretty much equal so do your research carefully and good luck

Quote Originally Posted by James 10 View Post
    Vexus is the only way to go I was dead set on ranger until I looked at the vexus and found out bass pro owns ranger and now the service is not good very happy with the vexus and as far as prices there all pretty much equal so do your research carefully and good luck
    Who's word are you taking in regards to the service with Ranger not being very good? Is that from a Ranger customer, the dealer, or the guys selling Vexus?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbruce View Post
    I'm with madmurph, I went in thinking Crestliner and when I started looking they were not as well built as a Tracker, especially the VT models. My opinion of course. I went to a dealer shortly after a hard rain and almost every compartment on the VT was wet. My brother in law has a Tracker and it is a nice boat. I ended up with a Polar Kraft 195 just to have something different and had toured their factory while on vacation last year and saw how well they are constructed. Definitely buy what suits your needs best and a good dealer is very important.
    I don't want to hijack this thread, quick question Gbruce, I how are you enjoying your PK 195? I had great conversation with OhioChamp the other day and he is LOVING his. Thank you, and sorry again if I hijacked.
    2019 Vexus 1880 w/ Mercury Pro-XS 115 4-stroke, MK 80lb Fortex, Twin Helix 7 Birds, Pro II PowerPole. AEguideservice.com

16. Member
    Bass pro service dept only place that sells ranger around where I live I've heard nothing good from people I know that goes there for service

17. Member
    I have a Ranger RT188, no issues, no regrets, solid boat so far.

Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    Ought to consider an xpress.
    Always a good choice - along with the War Eagle Tomahawk series and TOO OFTEN OVER LOOKED Polar Kraft TX series.

But in staying with the boats you mentioned, having just boat shopped myself, I would likely go with the Ranger (even though my research showed me several posts about the compartment "sweating" and needing to be ventilated after purchase). Being honest, nearly all the tin boats these days are good well built boats - very similar in quality and construction - each have their pluses and minuses (they all claim to be the best on the water). IMO, shopping for a boat came down to preferences, small differences, not major differences.
    I would choose the Ranger for its resale value, comprehensive dealer network, customer service reputation (Tracker and Crestliner do not share as good of a reputation), its interior layout (and console - it has a nice solid feeling console!), and it does have a smidge more flotation than the Tracker and Crestliner.
    My second choice would be the Crestliner.
    Last the Tracker because I would not use a Merc motor by choice and I do not like the way it sits nose high in the water.

19. Member
    Thanks for the feedback. I have looked at the Vexus. I really like the AVX 1980 and the Ranger RT 198. Both great boats.

Quote Originally Posted by James 10 View Post

Exact reason I jumped out of mine. Their customer service went steadily down hill in late 2015 and beyond. Funny, I am now getting the same, better in many ways, customer service since buying my 1980. Go figure, I wonder why
    2021 Vexus 2080, Merc ProXs 200
    2019 Vexus 1980, Evinrude G2 150 H.O. - moved onto a new owner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast