looking for ideas on trailer security

I have a 2019 triton trx 20... looking for ideas on wheel locks and other trailer security devices. I keep this boat in a separate storage facility away from my house so I want to make it difficult to steal wheels and other items off trailer.

Wheel locks will slow them down I guess but all they gotta do is knock the bearing buddy off and pull the cotter pin and castle nut off and they got your wheel and hub.
    get your self some big cable and those locks the bikers use to lock down there hogs.
    Run that though the wheels and get ya a good alarm for the boat.
    my lock r bar lock alarm goes of if I even bump my rig.

3. Member
    Anything can be defeated but it's easier to cut a cable than you may think. With a common wire cutter, one can nibble away at the individual strands of cable and defeat it in short order. A hardened chain offers better resistance but they can still be cut with power tools. I have an ABUS GRANIT Extreme Plus 59 lock/chain to help secure my bike when I'm away from home. It runs north of $250. I don't have any experience with Pewag security chain but I hear it's pretty tough. Not sure how it compares to the ABUS chain.

4. Member
    If the boat is somewhere with nobody around the best thing you can do is have good insurance. If they want to steal the wheels they will. Wheel locks and cables will only slow them down to give time for someone to see them. If there is no one there to see them they don’t help much. Unless there are other boats stored there too and you are trying to make yours harder to steal than the others.

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    You really can’t do much if they have a little time and privacy. Cordless angle grinders mean most locks are a joke.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted-LA View Post
    Anything can be defeated but it's easier to cut a cable than you may think. With a common wire cutter, one can nibble away at the individual strands of cable and defeat it in short order. A hardened chain offers better resistance but they can still be cut with power tools. I have an ABUS GRANIT Extreme Plus 59 lock/chain to help secure my bike when I'm away from home. It runs north of $250. I don't have any experience with Pewag security chain but I hear it's pretty tough. Not sure how it compares to the ABUS chain.
    This is your best advice right here. I understand with modern tools like cordless grinders things can be defeated but do not make it easy for them. Get two pieces of high grade chain 4 foot long should work long enough to go through the tire rim and around the trailer tube or spring. Then you need 2 good locks something like the Abus, Medco or similar. You could just start with one chain and lock and see if you like that. Also lock your spare tire up I already lost one. Make sure you chain and lock are higher quality so bolt cutters will not work on them and you should be good.

Try looking for an enclosed storage unit. I have one 12' x 30' that is a drive thru with 10' w x 10' h doors and has elect for charging. Boat is better protected from the weather, critters, and theives.

8. Member
    some good advice thanks!! wheel locks and chains will definitely slow them down. I am also going to cover the trailer wheels with a tarp so they are out of site out of mind.

9. Member
    Check out @Skeeterbait's thread on it. He bought a 2017 Rt188 and installed a ton of security.
    What he did with with the trailer security is pretty cool.

10. Member
    Recommend removing prop too, easy to steal.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

11. Member
    dura safe e locks offer a spare tire lock that will key up with your sonar unit locks
    2023 Ranger 521R
    Merc 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

12. Member
    A lock is only good for an honest man. If someone wants it, they'll get it. A good idea to think about is a GPS tracker. Not sure what the cost on that would be but if it were to go missing, you'd have a way to track it. Just a thought.

If they want it, they will steal it.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydbee View Post
    Check out @Skeeterbait's thread on it. He bought a 2017 Rt188 and installed a ton of security.
    What he did with with the trailer security is pretty cool.
    wheres this at
    "No man stands taller than one who stoops to help a child"

15. Member
    I bought Durasafe locks for my trailer hitch, swing tongue and spare tire. They are all keyed alike. Going to get one for my Ultrex also. I take my Graphs off.

Nothing is IRON CLAD to prevent, but you can make it more difficult !! A long heavy chain thru the wheels on the SAME axle under the trailer stops a thief from stealing both the wheels and another one thru the wheels on each side stops moving the trailer at all. You also could just remove the wheels and leave it on jack stands !!! Remove the Prop, graphs, and anything else easily removed,and lock anything else. ie; lockers, locker bars, TM. A heavy cover help witn "Out of Sight, Out of Mind" too. If a thief wants it, he pretty much will figure out a way to get it !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky13 View Post
    wheres this at
    Here you go:
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=701184

18. Member