Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Getting oil type residue seeping from lower end water intake holes?

First winter/year with this boat/motor last year..2013 Merc Opti/Pro XS 200

Winterized with following instructions from dealer/seller

Winterize you..
    Stabilize fuel run until it has filled the system
    Pull spark plugs. Use syringe with 30 cc of Premium Plus oil in each cylinder.
    Rotate motor slowly a revolution or two.
    Reinstall spark plugs
    Change gear lube.

Only been used 6-8 times since winter..have vessel view connected, no faults ,error codes and/or warnings..

Had oil pump replaced last year because I noticed oil under oil pump/leak

Wondering/hoping if seepage is from oil residue/fogging or..

Thanks for any info
    Last edited by MRichard2016; 06-06-2019 at 05:38 AM.
    Basscat P4

Have you removed the cowl and inspected for oil seeping anywhere? You need to determine if the oil is DFI or lower unit fluid. Might be a new problem and have nothing to do with winterizing since you've had the boat out several times.

For winterizing I use DFI oil in the cylinders. Might want to add replacing the fuel filter too and follow the winterizing list posted in the sticky above.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

Dry under cowling.. lower end fluid is milky tho

I know im jumping ahead but Anyone use after market lower end or know where I might be able to find a sportmaster on the cheap?

Wondering had water pump replaced sametime mechanic did oil pump..possible they cracked water pump assembly? Would that make oil ooze out of lower end water pickup holes?
    Last edited by MRichard2016; 06-06-2019 at 02:49 PM.
    Basscat P4

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MRichard2016 View Post
    Dry under cowling.. lower end fluid is milky tho

I know im jumping ahead but Anyone use after market lower end or know where I might be able to find a sportmaster on the cheap?

Wondering had water pump replaced sametime mechanic did oil pump..possible they cracked water pump assembly? Would that make oil ooze out of lower end water pickup holes?
    You don't have a sportmaster on that motor.

5. Member
    Sounds like a shift shaft seal failure to me. Does the oil have any odor?
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

Thanks for the info guys

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sandman View Post
    Sounds like a shift shaft seal failure to me. Does the oil have any odor?
    Looks to be brown in color..odor smells like oil?

2013 Pantera 4

2013 Merc 200 PRO XS

The only seal failure I can think of that would let water into the lower and possibly let gear oil out the water intakes would be the drive shaft seals under the water pump. It would be pretty hard for oil from a shift shaft seal leak to get inside the water pump housing because of the slinger seal on the drive shaft and the gaskets on the water pump base. I am by no means an expert but it seems logical to me.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc57 View Post
    The only seal failure I can think of that would let water into the lower and possibly let gear oil out the water intakes would be the drive shaft seals under the water pump. It would be pretty hard for oil from a shift shaft seal leak to get inside the water pump housing because of the slinger seal on the drive shaft and the gaskets on the water pump base. I am by no means an expert but it seems logical to me.
    True. Missed the water in the oil. Signed, another non expert.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

9. Member
    Lower unit needs pressure tested, and run-out checked on the prop shaft.

Sooo...

I had a T coming up and needed my rig..I emptied the lower end fluid and replaced with new Merc Gear 90? It looked clear compared to the old stuff unless it was just too dam hot and sunny I was hallucinating? The old stuff was about 50/50 white and dark fluid..I filled until it started to ooze out the top hole, I let it sit until it stopped oozing. Put the top screw in and then the lower.

I used it for my tournament..and now its not oozing at all? Im planning on having lower end pressure tested..

Possible it was overfilled from mechanic and was just seeping out of the shift shaft seal?
    Basscat P4

50/50 white and dark fluid? Sounds like a pressure test is in order as the fluid should be bluish. I wouldn't take the boat back on the water without getting it looked at.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

12. Member
    Mercury High Performance gear lube is greenish blue, not clear. If your lower unit fluid was 50/50 dark/whitish, you need it pressure tested and better have prop shaft run-out checked as Savage suggested.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

13. Member
    "Clear" fluid is water......You have big problems now. Follow post #9.

Update..

No clear fluids. I was talking about the "Gear 90" lube sorry for the confusion.

Dropped the lower end the other night..fluid was seeping from under the shift shaft cover plate, noticed the gasket only covers the front,side and part of the back of cover..found o-ring down inside. I replaced the o-ring and now to pressure test. I searched amazon for a gearcase pressure tester..I know years ago I made one up from my natural gas pipe pressure tester and various fittings. Anyone know of one I can just buy? Thanks for any help
    Basscat P4

15. Member
    Bicycle pump with a gear lube fitting attached.

Thank you!

Found a leak at the oil seal carrier as well

Ordered a new oil seal carrier..anyone know, is it as simple as getting the old one out and installing the new?

Any tips and/or suggestions appreciated
    Basscat P4

17. Member
    Bolt in carrier, or press in?

Press I believe..yellow with retaining type ring holding it in?
    Basscat P4

Had a chance last night to work on my engine..pulled the oil seal carrier and had parts and pieces come out

Is this a common issue with the oil seal carrier on the pro xs opti..engine is a 2013 ? Inner seals were warped and disconnected from housing..outer housing of oil seal carrier was in bad shape as well..

Installed new..followed engine manual details

Pressure tested to 5psi for 2 minutes...then 15 for 5 had slight drop but noticed it was leaking by at pressure test threaded connection, added teflon tape and retested

All good !
    Basscat P4

20. Member
    wouldn't really say its common, was impeller burned ?????
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast