Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trailer bunk boards

There’s been several post lately on the Nitro Bass Boats page on FB regarding bunk boards on the trailers rotting. A few with pics where the board broke loose when loading the boat causing fiberglass damage. They say 2 year old trailers. One guy said he contacted “the factory” and was told the use of treated lumber has been discontinued for environmental reasons.
    Anyone seen or experienced this? Any truth to a switch in wood being used?

2. Member
    I don't know about the wood. Mine is 10 years old and I just replaced mine last year. But it never sits outside, stored in a garage at all times, when not being used.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by I fish 4 Bass View Post
    There’s been several post lately on the Nitro Bass Boats page on FB regarding bunk boards on the trailers rotting. A few with pics where the board broke loose when loading the boat causing fiberglass damage. They say 2 year old trailers. One guy said he contacted “the factory” and was told the use of treated lumber has been discontinued for environmental reasons.
    Anyone seen or experienced this? Any truth to a switch in wood being used?
    just bought 2011 z 8 bunks were shot it did not look like pt wood to me almost looked like termite damage used new pt carpet and ss staples and all new ss lag screws also glue on carpet not a bad job get 120 volt electric stapler on e bay it makes job so much easier

Been that way for awhile.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

5. Member
    I have been meaning to change mine out ever since I got the rig last year. I'm one of those that had rather be proactive and not take a chance on a problem. My thoughts are to change the bunks to Yellawood. My other thought is to do a 3/4 inch round over on the edges to better conform to the curved bottom of the hull. Where I get hung up is what to use to cover the bunks. I've researched Gatorbaks and like the idea of not having to worry about blisters. What holds me back is not being able to power load. Last night I was fishing at a local lake and a storm was quickly approaching. I had to load it fast and the idea of having to get out of the boat to winch it on is the part I don't like. If I'm by myself, which I am some, then I would also have to back the trailer in further before I could fully winch it up. So, if I don't go with Gatorbak then does anyone have any recommendation for a good carpet to use to cover the bunks.

While I'm at it what about those slick strips that are placed on the bunks to reduce friction? It would seem they would help lift the boat a little off the carpet to help it dry better and maybe reduce the chances for blisters.
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

"Treated" lumber can still be used, but it's much different now. The EPA has limited or eliminated the use of Aresnic in the treating liquid. Pressure Treated lumber is no where near as good as it used to be.

7. Member
    i used bunk trailer carpet bought from overtons my bunks were 2 5ft and 4 10ft all 2x4 applied marine adhesive to wood and staples i am familer with the slides you are refering to that go on bunks but is it possible for boat to slide off trailer when unloading ???

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmg View Post
    i used bunk trailer carpet bought from overtons my bunks were 2 5ft and 4 10ft all 2x4 applied marine adhesive to wood and staples i am familer with the slides you are refering to that go on bunks but is it possible for boat to slide off trailer when unloading ???
    Sliding off would never be a problem for me as I refuse to unhook the front strap until the boat is in the water and won't pull it out until the strap is reconnected. Just my thing. Takes a few more seconds but being retired I only fish weekdays so rarely is there anyone waiting on me to get out of the way.

And thanks, I will look and see what Overton's has.
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

Does anyone know the cut angle of the bunk boards for the new style hull?
    2018 Nitro Z-19, 200 Merc Pro XS, Merc Monitor, SC Gauges, Lowrance/Humminbird Electronics, Humminbird 360, HydroWave.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Florida1 View Post
    Does anyone know the cut angle of the bunk boards for the new style hull?
    not sure what you mean by cut angles on my nitro it was just 2x4 flat on front and rear maybe yours are different remove a bunk and duplicate for all

The bunk boards are tapered for the new style hulls. The flat 2x4’s sure why not longer work without causing damage
    2018 Nitro Z-19, 200 Merc Pro XS, Merc Monitor, SC Gauges, Lowrance/Humminbird Electronics, Humminbird 360, HydroWave.

12. Member
    Just had one rot off mine this weekend. 2015 and the board is totally rotted away. The other bunks feel solid. Just one that's gone. Gonna fix it this week.
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL

13. Member
    had same exact issue one fell off others seemed ok but decided to replace all when i cut the others in half to put in garbage can most were rotted inside its kind of a pain but i would do all bought all material and carpeted bunks at home ready to go took boat to lake left in water and replaced bunks not bad grab a friend for help

Boards have been tapered for a long time. My 2001 Nitro 911 had tapered boards. I don't think the angle matters just need to know where the lifting strakes rest on the board. Also the build in hook on the out side edges.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Boards have been tapered for a long time. My 2001 Nitro 911 had tapered boards. I don't think the angle matters just need to know where the lifting strakes rest on the board. Also the build in hook on the out side edges.
    So it's not just a basic 2x4 carpeted? Was hoping to just staple carpet on treated 2x4s that are the right length, and would be good to go
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky292 View Post
    So it's not just a basic 2x4 carpeted? Was hoping to just staple carpet on treated 2x4s that are the right length, and would be good to go
    Not sure it isn't just a basic 2x4 for Z8s. Mine lasted just under 3yrs and when I replaced them didn't notice any tapering.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

17. Member
    Gatorbak sent me a sample of their covering with the rounded edges. I put it up against the curved sections of my hull and the fit appears to much better than the straight edge. It sits flatter against the fiberglass. Not sure how it would work with the different hulls. I'm still debating on what to do but starting to feel pretty strongly that a good quality carpet over new boards with a 3/4 inch round over on the edges is my best option for my boat. I also looked at the Ultimate plastic boards which are interesting but a bit pricey.
    Jim

Its a flat 2x4, and the last 10 inches are gradually tapered and layered with carpet. Only on the bunks that the lifting strakes sit on.

Then they are wrapped with carpet and stapled on.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

19. Member
    I'd recommend going with the gatorbaks. Blisters aren't cheap to fix. The majority of boats that come in my shop for repairs have them to some degree.

20. Member
    [QUOTE=APS;10330678]I'd recommend going with the gatorbaks. Blisters aren't cheap to fix. The majority of boats that come in my shop for repairs have them to some degree.[/QUOTE

I agree with the Gatorbaks being probably the best option. What has held me back is the inability to power load. I fish by myself about half the time. My trailer can not be set very deep in the water when I load or it will float over the fenders damaging the fender and the bottom. I found that out the hard way. With the carpet I can power load with some effort even though the trailer is set shallow. I'm afraid with the Gatorbaks I would have to get the nose of the boat resting on the bunks, get out, hook up the winch strap, reel it in as far as I could, get in the truck and back in deep enough to finish cranking all the way. Maybe I'm making a big deal out of nothing but I don't like holding up others if I can help it.
    Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast