Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Boat market must be too good

I can't find a dealer who really wants to sell me a boat. Multiple just never respond to my emails or call me back, and the ones with great communication are the ones that are trying to sell me what they want me to buy as opposed to what I want.
    -2016 Phoenix 721 250 Pro XS
    -Old Rig-2006 Triton TR-196 200HP Optimax

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by XChris1632X View Post
    I can't find a dealer who really wants to sell me a boat. Multiple just never respond to my emails or call me back, and the ones with great communication are the ones that are trying to sell me what they want me to buy as opposed to what I want.
    You are the common denominator. Are you ready to buy now, and made them aware of that? Imagine how many dreamers and tire kickers they get.

3. Banned
    It's the new norm. There are very few "true" sales people any more, most now are just order takers.

Same way it is at almost every dealer around me in Virginia Beach. I was trying to find a used boat last year, had cash, and I ended up walking out of almost everyone of em saying, “if they had the boat I like, I wouldnt buy it from them”. My buddy just bought a brand new Carolina Skiff all decked out for inshore fishing and he said the same thing. He ended up finding a dealer down in North Carolina that was somewhat responsive and he got it from them. He paid cash too. Doesnt make sense
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mxmike View Post
    It's the new norm. There are very few "true" sales people any more, most now are just order takers.
    ^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And not just the boat industry

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    You are the common denominator. Are you ready to buy now, and made them aware of that? Imagine how many dreamers and tire kickers they get.
    Without a doubt I am ready to buy if they offer the right deal or accept my trade. The problem is we never even get to that point in the conversation.

I understand tire kickers and dreamers as my boat is currently for sale. I am also looking for another used boat.
    -2016 Phoenix 721 250 Pro XS
    -Old Rig-2006 Triton TR-196 200HP Optimax

7. Banned
    You seem like a needy buyer with very high standards. Who also likely knows exactly what he wants. I'm very similar.

I'd recommend finding someone that has GREAT reviews, from multiple sources. wether its a dealership, or individual seller. All marine sales situations for me have been like what you describe...theyre trying to sell me what they want to do. Im the type that does weeks/months of research before jumping into things. So thats very frustrating to me, cuz im not there to get sold like most people im there to buy what I want. Get someone that has reviews and customer service being the most important from there.

So either do more of your own homework...or you need to adjust yourself to the salesman if you have limited options or you dont wanna do your homework. My moms getting older and she always complains about not getting called back and things like that....well this is 2019. If people arent REALLY busy, theyre fake busy and scrolling facebook, instagram, BBC forums (lol), etc... but either way if you want stuff done, you need to keep on it. Things arent entirely the same as they were 5, 10, 15, etc years ago. I know its your money...but either adapt with the options youve seen or do the homework to find the recommendations for people that will do what you need/want.

My 2 cents

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by turfy49431 View Post
    Same way it is at almost every dealer around me in Virginia Beach. I was trying to find a used boat last year, had cash, and I ended up walking out of almost everyone of em saying, “if they had the boat I like, I wouldnt buy it from them”. My buddy just bought a brand new Carolina Skiff all decked out for inshore fishing and he said the same thing. He ended up finding a dealer down in North Carolina that was somewhat responsive and he got it from them. He paid cash too. Doesnt make sense
    those people need a new line of work if you were a cash buyer...and made that readily apparent. Even if they gotta order/build your boat and that commission might not be as good....thats a damn lay me down!!! lol smh at some people

Where you live? Barling Boat Sales in Ft Smith, AR is the best.

10. BBC SPONSOR
    Cash means nothing. The dealer makes money off finance. And yes, most places are not good at follow up. We have to respond to leads within the hour or they get assigned to someone else. Unfortunately, most of the better sales people either sell cars, or work in the pleasure boat industry like myself. More money to be made. My. 02

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OsageJoe View Post
    Cash means nothing. The dealer makes money off finance. And yes, most places are not good at follow up. We have to respond to leads within the hour or they get assigned to someone else. Unfortunately, most of the better sales people either sell cars, or work in the pleasure boat industry like myself. More money to be made. My. 02
    Another example of how bass boats/fishing/tournaments are a TINY blip on the radar. I can imagine youre selling more pontoons to families than you are bass boats, so that makes sense. Dont the salesmen make money off the sale tho? Cash has to help his cause a bit...if he finds the right person. right?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XChris1632X View Post
    I can sell you a real nice boat at a good price, MINT condition

13. Member
    Sell your boat first. Then, start your search with "cash in hand." Test, make offers with cash in hand and wheel and deal. The price you pay with both parties satisfied will be that deal you're both looking for. Just sayin'. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by OsageJoe View Post
    Your part of the problem if cash means nothing. Cash means im ready to buy and I got the means. No waiting for financing, seeing if I have the right down payment, none of that hassle. I like the boat, I pay for it, you make your commission.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mxmike View Post
    Apparently he is looking for an order taker and not a sales person by reading his post. A salesman is trying to sell him what he has to offer, an order taker will order exactly what you are looking for.

16. Banned
    Salesman's don't do spit. You basically sell yourself the boat. Now there are a few that hustle but not many. They just collect the commission. LOL

Boats are bought everyday...you want your ass kissed or you want to buy a boat? Your trade is worth what its worth...and it aint retail when you walk in to a boat store, it's more like low wholesale. The price they want for the boat is usually pretty firm. The only way to get a deal is price it somewhere else. I ask one question...how many offers have you made?

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turfy49431 View Post
    Your part of the problem if cash means nothing. Cash means im ready to buy and I got the means. No waiting for financing, seeing if I have the right down payment, none of that hassle. I like the boat, I pay for it, you make your commission.
    Cash has meant nothing for a long time. There's a reason that car dealers give you a better deal when you take the dealer financing.

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by db220 View Post
    Cash has meant nothing for a long time. There's a reason that car dealers give you a better deal when you take the dealer financing.
    Yup had a deal made with ram and I pulled out the check book and he said we cant do that deal. I ended up with a loan I paid off the first month.

Quote Originally Posted by db220 View Post
    And that sir is a huge problem. When you cant get the respect because you have cash thats total bullshixt and they wont get my business. Simple as that.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast