Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    Again, it's the perception. I don't know if all the advertising money in the world will make the masses believe that the G2 is as good/better than a 4 stroke.
    I'm afraid you're correct. BRP has a problem that they are the only company that sells 2-strokes. The masses see all others sell 4-strokes only and believe their garbage about 2-strokes being banned, no parts...it worked...look at the market share.

2. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    I'm sure their perception of the E-TEC will change if they ever break a timing belt on their 4-stroke.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

3. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Don't know about the yammie, but the cut a way on the mercs show 3-4 timing chains.....but they're horizontal.......I've dealt with them in the past in my work....hopefully they have a hella tensioner.......I've had vertical tensioners go bad and cause some bad ju ju....

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_3272 View Post
    I'm afraid you're correct. BRP has a problem that they are the only company that sells 2-strokes. The masses see all others sell 4-strokes only and believe their garbage about 2-strokes being banned, no parts...it worked...look at the market share.
    Evinrude's market share has grown steadily.

5. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    Again, it's the perception. I don't know if all the advertising money in the world will make the masses believe that the G2 is as good/better than a 4 stroke.
    I can’t speak for [or even to] the masses, but there’s plenty of G2 converts in the last year or two, in bass boats and in various other fishing and pleasure boats. So that one engine model, at least, has gained traction. BRP as a company has no worries, due to its broad product base and popularity of those products. The main reason I am passionate about the G2 is the same reason I am passionate about the rods, line, hooks, and so forth that I use. It’s not a matter of being right; it’s simply that sharing the joy of superior products is a big part of the camaraderie of fishing.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

6. Member
    Just wanted to post my thoughts.
    The E-tec inline 3 engine has been around since E-tec was first introduced. Suggesting its an optimax copy is ridiculous.
    The inline 3 engine is probably Etec's most dependable engine made. I owned one. I beat the living heck out of it. Hit 2 stumps, a rock, dragged the skeg up the ramp, ran it out of oil, over reved it twice, overheated it 3 times, and forgot to winterize one season. It never failed on me, started the first turn of the key everytime, and the lower never leaked.
    Evinrude took a good power plant and made it better by designing an engine that is built for direct injection.
    A 150 hp inline motor that weights 100 lbs less than its V6 big brother has a lot more applications than the miniscule bass fish market. Side by side on the same rig. The inline 3 would be lightning fast out of the hole, with less bow rise. Considering its weight it would most likely give the V6 a run for its money on the top end too.
    Evinrude is leaving its "image" problems behind. Since BRP has owned them, they have made very good business decisions. Could they market the products better? Yes.
    Could the dealer network be better? Yes.
    The G2 platform has put Evinrude back in the market. It always starts with a good product. The Etec was a good product. The G2 is much better.
    If this motor is as well designed as the V6. You will see Evinrude's market share go up a lot. And the stigma of 2 strokes being old technology fading away. The engine industry sells a lot more 75-150 hp engines than any others.

7. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Very good analogy.....Just to mention I ran a 03 225 HO for 12 years without concern if I was up river or down.....Now running a 03 250 ....Since the advent of BRP the engines have been awesome in my book.....I would have a G2 on my rig now if I weren't semi-retired.....and this one just keeps hammering down......

8. Member
    Any co$t prognostications for that G2 150hp?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123