Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff_3272 View Post
    Nope. Bet you can go to the tin boats section in 6 months after being available and see little talk about the new motors. When Merc introduced their new 115 ProXS 4-stroke, it was on probably 80% of the new Ranger tin boats.

Ive never had anything other than a Johnson or Evinrude on my transoms. Hate to say it but for BRP to keep afloat in the outboard business, they have to have a 4-stroke line that covers more than portables. Johnson needs to emerge from the ashes as a new 4-stroke line.
    How do you know they aren't?? But I'll tell ya what not all Skiffs are tin boats..There is quite a market out there for flats boats. If this new release has the same torque as their big brothers the consumers will be quite happy. Bass boats are just a small niche in the boating community.

2. Member
    a link to the webinar from Evinrude CEO which references the new motor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=217&v=4q9YMD4DLtQ

3. Banned
    I would expect to see a 115 motor; there are so many boats out there with a max 115 rating.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    I'll have to call BS on that one......BRP's 2 strokes are cleaner than any 4 stroke out there.....why change a GOOD thing????
    Public perception and sales.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    I would expect to see a 115 motor; there are so many boats out there with a max 115 rating.
    the hp range is 115HO, 140 and 150hp with a claimed 20% better fuel economy over the v4 platform
    Last edited by Statler; 06-12-2019 at 05:02 AM.

6. Member

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    How do you know they aren't?? But I'll tell ya what not all Skiffs are tin boats..There is quite a market out there for flats boats. Bass boats are just a small niche in the boating community.
    Many more tin boats...bass, walleye, crappie, etc sold in the US than flats boats be it tin or glass. This new inline 3 cylinder is 390lbs? Still heavy for a 115hp compared to others. All those infomercials BRP put out, must like the taste of crow.

8. Member
    I have been waiting on the 150 to repower my jetboat...Only question I have now is the new mnotor has digital shifting and throttle. How are you supposed to shift on a jet pump without a cable?

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Sounds like you've got a real hard on for the new motors. No one is holding a gun to your head to buy one or even watching the announcements.

10. Member
    Sounds like you've got a real hard on for the new motors. No one is holding a gun to your head to buy one or even watching the announcements.
    I was one waiting on the 115 G2. No upgraded tiller handle, using existing with digital controls within. Inline 3 cylinder 150 not impressive. With all of the "engineering" BRP had to do to calm the rough idle of the inline 3, why not make an inline 4 which is a smoother running outboard? I guess Merc inline 3 cylinder Opti/ProXS was a better outboard than the V-4 E-tec?

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_3272 View Post
    Nope. Bet you can go to the tin boats section in 6 months after being available and see little talk about the new motors. When Merc introduced their new 115 ProXS 4-stroke, it was on probably 80% of the new Ranger tin boats.

Ive never had anything other than a Johnson or Evinrude on my transoms. Hate to say it but for BRP to keep afloat in the outboard business, they have to have a 4-stroke line that covers more than portables. Johnson needs to emerge from the ashes as a new 4-stroke line.
    No way. The G2 produces more power down low, better emissions, and generally outperform the 4 stroke engines on the market. I'm a fan of both four stroke, and two stroke, each have unique advantages. The new G2 will be awesome I'm sure. Large displacement 3 cyl 2 stroke, with less emissions and more torque than a 4 cyl 4 stroke. Sounds good.

12. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    RAVE on the 150 that makes a big difference in the output of it.

-----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

14. Banned
    RAVE on the 150 that makes a big difference in the output of it.
    A power valve on an outboard; it's about time.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    A power valve on an outboard; it's about time.

my can am motorcycle had that back in the 70's!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    my can am motorcycle had that back in the 70's!
    Power valves have always been a big part of the the performance 2-stroke world. There's no better way to build low/mid-range power out of a 2-stroke. Seeing as an outboard has a one-speed gearbox, outboards had the most to gain from a power valve.

Power valve is just another thing to break, blade or rotary type and if people run crappy oil then that just add more to the problem. What I've come to find is on larger displacement engines the powervalve is useless specially when the exhaust is matched to the porting. If I have a choice when ordering an engine I would go without one.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

18. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Marketing to public perception is a fine way to sell outboards, but not necessarily a fine way to build the best outboards. To me the 4-stroke hype is 99% hype. Not even accounting for bias in owner reporting, I’ve seen zero evidence that the latest/current 4-strokes [in bassboat sizes] have any performance, economy, or other advantages over 2-strokes, and that goes double for the G2 platform. Public perception is that they save time and money by not adding oil. So my spending 3 minutes a year adding oil to my G2 is hard, expensive, or time-consuming? This is not to say that the best new/er 4-strokes are poor engines. But being a 4-stroke is certainly not a compelling reason to buy.
    Last edited by jc2bg; 06-13-2019 at 04:27 PM.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    Marketing to public perception is a fine way to sell outboards, but not necessarily a fine way to build the best outboards. To me the 4-stroke hype is 99% hype. Not even accounting for bias in owner reporting, I’ve seen zero evidence that the latest/current 4-strokes [in bassboat sizes] have any performance, economy, or other advantages over 2-strokes, and that goes double for the G2 platform. Public perception is that they save time and money by not adding oil. So my spending 3 minutes a year adding oil to my G2 is hard, expensive, or time-consuming? Not to say that the best new/er 4-strokes are poor engines. But being a 4-stroke is certainly not a compelling reason to buy.
    How much time, hassle, and expense do 4-stroke owners spend opening 4 to 8 quarts of oil and having to pour it into an engine, plus having to check the oil with a dipstick occasionally? Then add it the mess from the black hot oil that has to be taken somewhere to be disposed of in an environmentally safe manner. Don't forget changing the hot oil filter and the spillage that often happens.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAHORSE View Post
    How much time, hassle, and expense do 4-stroke owners spend opening 4 to 8 quarts of oil and having to pour it into an engine, plus having to check the oil with a dipstick occasionally? Then add it the mess from the black hot oil that has to be taken somewhere to be disposed of in an environmentally safe manner. Don't forget changing the hot oil filter and the spillage that often happens.
    Again, it's the perception. I don't know if all the advertising money in the world will make the masses believe that the G2 is as good/better than a 4 stroke.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast