Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fuji Alconite vs RSPG Recoil guides on build

I bought 2 Rainshadow Eternity blanks (7'2" M & 7'2" ML) for dropshots/neds/tubes. My goal is lightweight and sensitive. But also don't want to spend foolishly.

Im tossed between regular Fuji Alconite guides and the Recoil guides.

I have the recoil guides on another custom build and they seem to be very nice.

Recoil guide set (30, 16, 8L, 6(6) and tip top) = $85
    Fuji Alconite set plus tip top = $35.06

Do you believe the Recoil set is worth over double the investment? Would they aid in sensitivity and be noticeably lighter?

I got got off the phone with a guy at Mudhole and the SiC rings are heavier and not designed for this purpose.
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

I'd personally just stick AirWaves on it for $15 and spend the extra money on another blank. They're light, durable, and strong.

Recoils are the most over-rated guides out there in my personal opinion. The only redeeming factor is that they'll "bounce back" if you step on them or something, but they're obscenely expensive for what they are. The other issue is that in really cold temps, they've been known to "unwind." Normally that's only an issue on ice rods, but is probably worth mentioning to a fellow who lives in Fargo!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

Alconite for me.

I’m personally done with recoils in any model, another vote for Alconite. But go with whatever you think you will like

5. Goby King
    Alconite for me, but the Fazlite are pretty nice too for just a little less.

6. Member
    Alconite. I change out recoil guides for alconite on 6 G Lommis rods for one customer this spring

7. Member
    I am partial to alconite,been using them since they first came out I have never cracked one or had one pop out. Fuji is a great product.I use a 25,12,5.5m kl-h with 5 kt runners on 3000 size reels and 20,10,5.5m on 2500 size reels.microwave,s cast nicely,but I don,t look forward to breaking and trying to replace that first guide

8. Member
    When they made them the tysg Fuji titanium guides where my choice over alconites in byag series. Now if I want a lighter guide I use the recoils and have not had an issue. I am in a little different boat as I have a wholesale account so they are cheaper. If you want a lighter rod I would go with the recoils. As I said I haven't had any issues on my personal rods or numerous customer rods. They do make a weird noise when going through the guides. The alconites on the other hand besides being heavier are a great guide. A titanium guide compared to a stainless steel guide is considerably lighter when you include the entire guide train. Hope that helps you.

DG

9. Member
    So I ordered the Fuji Alconite Kit. I mocked it up but not digging it... they seem “bulky/thick” if that makes sense.

I think i want something slightly more petite for ascetics.

Other recommendations?
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

10. Goby King
    If you ordered a kit, it probably has a bunch of sizes you don't need and they're probably too big too.

11. Member
    I did order a kit but even the #5 runners were bulky. Regardless, they were not the right guide choice for me for this build.

I did order CRB LZR guides, 25, 16, 10, 6, and (6) 5 runners. Based on my conversation with MudHole rep, I’ll like these a lot more for this build.
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

12. Goby King
    Quote Originally Posted by GetReel View Post
    I did order a kit but even the #5 runners were bulky. Regardless, they were not the right guide choice for me for this build.

I did order CRB LZR guides, 25, 16, 10, 6, and (6) 5 runners. Based on my conversation with MudHole rep, I’ll like these a lot more for this build.

my DS rods have 3.5 and 4mm runners. the 25 stripper is too big IMO. I'm using 16 or 12 high frames for the stripper. there's a big weight difference between a 25 and a 16.

13. Member
    My guess is you're not going to like the CRB guides you ordered either. Based on the sizes you mentioned it sounds like you're probably using Y guides and going with a NGC guide train. A KR concept guide train is a much better choice. With a KR concept guide train you're stripper guide will be in line with the size that shfishinsticks is mentioning. If not a 16, certainly no bigger than a 20 as the stripper followed by a 10 (maybe a 12, but I doubt it) and a 5.5 or possibly a 6 as your last reduction train guide. Choke guide will most likely be the same size as the last reduction train guide, followed by runners in a size of your choice. I like 4.5s but have used 5s as well.

Using a KR concept guide train is going to result in a lighter guide train and a guide train that will, from my experience, cast about 20% further with less noise and line slap than an NGC guide train.

NGC guide trains are fine, but they're more or less the same guide train the majority of factory rods have on them. You can do better, especially considering the blanks you're building on...

14. Member
    If this was your build, can you help with model number of guides you would use please?
    I’m trying to look up on Get bit Outdoors website but their description of model number nomenclature sucks. (I’m novice to this but I also know what I want and take my time building when I have the right pieces)
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

15. Member
    I find it much easier to find them on mudhole. You can get the model number from mudhole and order on get bit if you prefer.

I believe what they are suggesting is
    Start with a High 16 or 20 https://www.mudhole.com/Fuji-K-Serie...4&custcol21=30
    Step down to regular 12 https://www.mudhole.com/Fuji-K-Serie...74&custcol21=5
    then step down to 6 I would do belly guide https://www.mudhole.com/Fuji-K-Serie...74&custcol21=1
    then do your train of 4 to finish the rod https://www.mudhole.com/Fuji-K-Serie...4&custcol21=48

16. Member
    4 kt work fine,can pass fg knot with no problem however I had a nightmare of a time wrapping those little boogers.5kt don't weigh that much more and were easier to wrap.both will work fine.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cpbass View Post
    4 kt work fine,can pass fg knot with no problem however I had a nightmare of a time wrapping those little boogers.5kt don't weigh that much more and were easier to wrap.both will work fine.
    I hear you! I wish the manufacturers could have them pre ground or something! I actually found recoils better prepped and require less work to wrap in smaller sizes.

18. Member
    If this was your build, can you help with model number of guides you would use please?
    I’m trying to look up on Get bit Outdoors website but their description of model number nomenclature sucks. (I’m novice to this but I also know what I want and take my time building when I have the right pieces)
    As I mentioned in my previous post, not knowing what size reel or what type and size line you're planning on using the sizes I mention may not be the sizes you need. Use this link http://anglersresource.net/ and you can put all the pertinent information for your build. Use the tab that says KR GPS that is in the left hand column.

With that said, I use 3000 series Shimano spinning reels and fluorocarbon line (Tatsu) on my spinning rods. The KR GPS doesn't have a fluorocarbon option so I use the 10 - 14# mono option as my line type and size. I use that because fluorocarbon line is stiffer than mono. Although Tatsu is only a little stiffer. Anyhow.... as I write this I have an Eternity ETES610MXF blank in route to me. The blank was back ordered so I already have the components in hand. The guides I went with may be a little too pricey for you, I went with Titanium guides with the slim SIC rings so the nomenclature won't match the same guide with an SS frame and an Alconite ring, but the sizes are what counts.

My guide train starting at the stripper and working towards the tip is as follows. KL 20-H, KL 10-H, KL 5.5-M. As the choke guide starts the running guide portion of the guide train, a lot of people seem to like to make the choke guide the same size ring as their runners. Personally, since I use fluorocarbon as my main line, I use the same size ring as the ring in the last reduction train guide. So for me my choke guide would be a KB 5.5. The KB has a wider foot and is said to work better in the middle portion of the guide train. After that I go with KT guides as running guides in either a #5, or 4.5. On the build I will be starting soon I am using #5 KTs as running guides.

For the tip top since I went with Titanium guides, is a Arowana with a #5 ring. As you are going with Alconite and SS frames you would probably go with an LG tip top in the appropriate size.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassbme View Post
    As I mentioned in my previous post, not knowing what size reel or what type and size line you're planning on using the sizes I mention may not be the sizes you need. Use this link http://anglersresource.net/ and you can put all the pertinent information for your build. Use the tab that says KR GPS that is in the left hand column.

With that said, I use 3000 series Shimano spinning reels and fluorocarbon line (Tatsu) on my spinning rods. The KR GPS doesn't have a fluorocarbon option so I use the 10 - 14# mono option as my line type and size. I use that because fluorocarbon line is stiffer than mono. Although Tatsu is only a little stiffer. Anyhow.... as I write this I have an Eternity ETES610MXF blank in route to me. The blank was back ordered so I already have the components in hand. The guides I went with may be a little too pricey for you, I went with Titanium guides with the slim SIC rings so the nomenclature won't match the same guide with an SS frame and an Alconite ring, but the sizes are what counts.

My guide train starting at the stripper and working towards the tip is as follows. KL 20-H, KL 10-H, KL 5.5-M. As the choke guide starts the running guide portion of the guide train, a lot of people seem to like to make the choke guide the same size ring as their runners. Personally, since I use fluorocarbon as my main line, I use the same size ring as the ring in the last reduction train guide. So for me my choke guide would be a KB 5.5. The KB has a wider foot and is said to work better in the middle portion of the guide train. After that I go with KT guides as running guides in either a #5, or 4.5. On the build I will be starting soon I am using #5 KTs as running guides.

For the tip top since I went with Titanium guides, is a Arowana with a #5 ring. As you are going with Alconite and SS frames you would probably go with an LG tip top in the appropriate size.

Ok, I have been doing much research and reading on anglersresource that you linked. Thank you, did not know about that.
    So, I will be using 2500 reels as of now, might change out to sz 3000 later on (idk yet). I'll be using #10 braid as main line and probably #6-#10 fluorocarbon as a leader probably 6'-15' long. Tieing together with FG knot.

Yeah so I got those CRB LZR guides.... gonna return them. Not what I want.

Bassbme, I'm taking what you have said and looking at said guides...

Fuji K Series (BC Grey Alconite)
    - KL-H, 20H = $5.49
    - KL-H, 10H = $3.49
    - KL-H, 5.5m = $2.79
    - KT Running, 5 = $2.49
    - KT Belly, 4.5 = $2.49 x 6 = $14.94
    - Total = $29.20. If I have the running and belly guide backwards, please tell me. Or if I should just go with one and not the other.

American Tackle TiForged High Frame (Titanium Nanolite)
    - TS-H, 20H = $27.01
    - TS-H, 10H = $9.27
    - TS-H, 5.5m = $4.19
    - TRS Running, 5 = $3.95
    - TRS Running, 4.5 = $3.95 x 6 = $23.70
    - Total = $68.12

Alps Titanium
    - TIYTZG 20mm = $17.48
    - TIYTZG 10mm = $8.76
    - TIPFZG 06mm = $5.69
    - TIPFZG 05mm = $5.43 x 7 = $38.01
    - Total = $74.84
    Last edited by GetReel; 06-21-2019 at 09:33 PM.
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

20. Goby King
    Ok, I have been doing much research and reading on anglersresource that you linked. Thank you, did not know about that.
    So, I will be using 2500 reels as of now, might change out to sz 3000 later on (idk yet). I'll be using #10 braid as main line and probably #6-#10 fluorocarbon as a leader probably 6'-15' long. Tieing together with FG knot.

Yeah so I got those CRB LZR guides.... gonna return them. Not what I want.

Bassbme, I'm taking what you have said and looking at said guides...

Fuji K Series (BC Grey Alconite)
    - KL-H, 20H = $5.49
    - KL-H, 10H = $3.49
    - KL-H, 5.5m = $2.79
    - KT Running, 5 = $2.49
    - KT Belly, 4.5 = $2.49 x 6 = $14.94
    - Total = $29.20. If I have the running and belly guide backwards, please tell me. Or if I should just go with one and not the other.

American Tackle TiForged High Frame (Titanium Nanolite)
    - TS-H, 20H = $27.01
    - TS-H, 10H = $9.27
    - TS-H, 5.5m = $4.19
    - TRS Running, 5 = $3.95
    - TRS Running, 4.5 = $3.95 x 6 = $23.70
    - Total = $68.12

Alps Titanium
    - TIYTZG 20mm = $17.48
    - TIYTZG 10mm = $8.76
    - TIPFZG 06mm = $5.69
    - TIPFZG 05mm = $5.43 x 7 = $38.01
    - Total = $74.84

Yeah, you have the running and belly guides backwards. You'll only need 1 belly, then the running.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast