Merc 4 strokes, whats the differences in 250 pro xs and 250r? hp and rpm, also 300's

I am getting close to buying a 4 stroke for my Allison xb21, I am leaning toward the 300 pro xs but was wondering what the prop shaft hp is on the different motors and if they produce the HP at different RPM. Also the differences in warranty?

Thanks in advance!

2. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    On your Ally you would want the sport master lower unit and it only available on the R models, The 300R has a 5800 to 6400 rpms where the 250R is 5600 to 6200 rpm

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1... really not much to consider or compare in this case.

Each engine has it's target market, and since there are HUNDREDS of unique model numbers, comparisons are (at best) "relative".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

If you are going 300HP only get the R. 300HP is 90mph plus almost guaranteed

IMG_3756.jpg
    IMG_3771.jpg
    IMG_3965.jpg
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

+1 for the 300R...It's going on an Allison...You have to do the R motor!

Quote Originally Posted by River Rocket View Post
    If you are going 300HP only get the R. 300HP is 90mph plus almost guaranteed

IMG_3756.jpg
    IMG_3771.jpg
    IMG_3965.jpg
    That is one bad dude...

7. Member
    I found a 250R that I was considering putting on my boat but later found out that it would not work on my particular boat. Was told by the dealer though that the only difference in the R series and the pro xs was that the R series had a sportmaster lower unit and an oil cooler and the pro xs had the torquemaster and no oil cooler.

Jason.. As others have said you don't want the XS on our rigs.
    Good luck finding one.. When the XS motors started running short, some dealers started mounting R motors on boats that didn't need the LU.

Word on the street is --- motors are going to boat manufactures only.. From what I'm hearing the fresh water "manufacturer" is Johnny Morris.
    Between Mercury and Yamaha they have pretty much halted the sale of new boats unless its a Skeeter/Yamaha or a Ranger/Nitro with Mercury.
    Could be one way to sell some E-tec's

I think its bullcorn... I will not buy a stick of gum from basspro anymore...not watching major league anymore either...hurting the small guys around here terrible bad...