Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Warning horn diagnostics 200 EFI

Serial number 0G654534. Motor has an occasional steady continuous beep.Sometimes it will do it after startup on a cold motor. It likes to do it in a plow no plane situation in rough water but never does it when running smoothly on plane.Stop and restart and the warning quits for a while. The motor runs fine otherwise.One would think it would be an over heat thing but the cold start warning has me guessing.The complete water pump assy (Merc) was replaced with only a few hrs on it but the warning was present with the old pump.I'm 99.9 % sure the pump was done correctly as I've done a lot of them with no problems.Any suggestions before I start throwing parts at it? Thanks!

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Steady Continuous means there are no breaks or stops- which is almost always OVERHEAT.

If it's really FAST BEEPING (continuous)- Numerous possible causes, good idea to obtain and utilize a Factory Service Manual for guidance.

Among the possibilities are:

-Water in fuel
    -Loss of spark on ONE or MORE cylinders
    -Loss of ground to Oil Warning Module
    -Pump Rotation Problem
    -Sensor or Magnet problem
    -Variety of wiring or connection problems

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Yeah,Don,it is a steady continuous beep but like stated,it will occasionally do it immediately after start up on a cold motor.I agree that beep generally indicates overheat but it couldn't possibly be hot in that situation.Key off and restart will clear it.I do have the factory service manual.

4. Member
    warning module bad ,41470a25 warning they high $$$$$$ now north of 400 list
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    warning module bad ,41470a25 warning they high $$$$$$ now north of 400 list
    Joe,I was afraid of that.Way back at the turn of the century,same thing happened and the module was replaced under warranty.Lasted 19 yrs but wished it would had gone a few more!

6. Member
    you want used one , I got one no quarantee it s good but it w as when I pulled it off, itll be cheap real cheap like FREE just shipping from usps
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    you want used one , I got one no quarantee it s good but it w as when I pulled it off, itll be cheap real cheap like FREE just shipping from usps
    I'll take it Joe. Thanks my friend.I'll pm you my address. Ya know...on electronic stuff,some of it lasts forever and some barely make it out of the box

8. Member
    il put it in mail next week soon as I can

9. Member
    Nice! two attaboys and a thumbs up

10. Member
    Thanks,Joe!! I'll make it right with you

11. Member

12. Member
    on the way

13. Im wishin I was fishin
    Nice !!!!

14. Member
    Joe,received the module. Thanks!!! Check will be in the mail when I get home. It works great,solved the warning at start up of cold motor.The warning still comes on when running.I'm guessing it's the poppet or thermostats. Here's what happens.....Cruising speed,3500 rpm to WOT,no warning.In rough water,2500 to 3500 rpm,warning comes on after a few minutes.Slow down to idle,warning quits after 15 seconds and will run for another few minutes before the warning starts again.2000 rpm or below,no warning.Healthy pee stream in all cases.
    What do you guys think??

15. Member
    what does water psi seem to be doing?????

16. Member
    Hate to admit it but no water pressure gauge. I guess I will have to install one if I can figure out which one is right for the motor.The descriptions are kind of confusing.What I'm trying to say is I would appreciate a part number for the right gauge so I can install it and get this deal figured out. Thanks!

17. Member
    just need 30 psi for your v6, would check pump again and popett valve also

18. Member
    Look under the starboard head for a small brass plug, that is where you would install a barbed plug and then run the hose to an analog gauge. You can buy them as a kit, any brand will work but if you choose you probably can find one to match your other gauges.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

19. Member
    Update...Got all the parts for the poppet.Went to install and found the middle top bolt completely unscrewed and laying in the lower cowl.The other 3 bolts were only finger tight.The old poppet actually looked fine,nothing stuck or damaged that I could see.Installed poppet kit and new thermostats as a precaution.Took the boat out for a test,tried to duplicate warning conditions as best I could.No beep.Anyway,could that missing bolt leak enough to cause the poppet to malfunction and the motor to overheat under the conditions mentioned? Pressure gauge hasn't showed up yet so I don't think I'm completely out of the woods. Thanks!

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Doubtful, unless the others were loose also. Any gaskets appear to be distorted into the center passage?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast