Triton 18XS setup

Hi everyone, new to the board and decided to ask for some help with my setup after reading everything I could find on the subject. I believe my engine is to low and prop pitch is off also.

My current setup
    2014 Triton 18XS
    Mercury 150 four-stroke
    pad to prop 4.5 inches
    21 pitch Tempest Plus, large VPS plugs installed
    no jack plate
    engine can be raised one more hole up
    top speed with a load and fuel around 49/50 mph at 5700 rpm/ max rated 5800
    hole shot is ok

Boat seems slower by comparison with others with similar hp. It has a tendency to porpoise at slower speeds, I can trim up all the way and prop will never blowout, even in turns. The engine must be trimmed all the way down when taking off or the bow lifts too high and can’t plane out. If I raise the engine I believe the increase in RPM will require me to go up to a 22 pitch prop, which should be about right.

Anyway, I’ll let the experts chime in and give me their thoughts.
    Thanks in advance and let me know if any other info would be helpful.

2. Banned
    22 maybe a 23 and a 6 inch jackplate start coming up

3. Member
    You need a jack plate if you want to raise it up any more because it has a lot of prop slip now. Without a plate it probably needs to be lowered one hole to get rid of the porpoise which is the prop losing bite dropping the bow then grabbing again and the prop may need some work done to it. You always trim down when taking off so that's normal. Get rid of the slip and you'll find some speed.

4. Member
    Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll try to drop it down on hole until I get a plate for it and see what
    happens. The prop slipping causing the porpoising makes sense, I wouldn’t have thought of that. Thanks

Ill post again once I test it out, raining for the next few days here so probably next weekend.

5. Member
    I have a 2018 189 trx with a 150 opti, 21 pitch tempest prop. I feel it's mounted to high ( 3rd hole down) I have lots of porpoising under 38 mph without the motor being trimmed way down and not much control without the motor being trimmed way down.

My top speed is 53 mph (GPS verified) and my analog tach reads 6200 rpms. 5400 rpms to 6200 rpms only gives me an increase of 1 mph so I'm getting lots of slipping.

2 people, 41 gallons of gas and full livewells I'm at 51.8 MPH and 5600 rpms. Any movement with the wheel or waves will raise the rpms without a speed increase.

6. Member
    Your mounted too high Jimmy3 2nd hole down is where it needs to be. With the 189 trx I'd get a jack plate, I don't know why they sell that boat without a plate.

7. Member
    Wanted to post an update, finally got a chance to run the boat. First I lowered the motor one hole, result:
    gained 1 MPH, but hole shot was substantially better. RPM 5750, 53 MPH.

Decided to try another prop, looked around and bought a Solars HR3 21 pitch. Went with the 21 because numerous PPL said
    Solars runs a “hard pitch”. Meaning a 21 performs as a 22 or 23. True to the statements it ran numbers that I would expect.

max RPM dropped to 5500
    top speed 52.5
    hole shot was very good, 3500 RPM
    bow lift was terrible on plan, boat runs very flat

As you can see, top speed was still off. I believe this to be drag from the engine being low.
    Plan on installing a 6”’manual jack plate in the near future.

8. Member
    Update and a little advice needed. Installed a z lock 6” manual plate. Ran the boat this morning starting
    at 3.5 prop to pad with the tempest plus 21 pitch.

Hole shot was great break over was at 3500 rpm.
    top speed was 55mph
    rpm was red line at 5850
    water pressure was 30 plus, no matter trim setting
    bow lift was great with more trim available.

Should I go up 1 or 2” of pitch? There’s still lots of room to bring the engine up
    according to the water pressure. I didn’t bring it up from 3.5 since the rpm was already
    red line with current prop. Also, ran the Solas but it was slower at 52 mph and still red lines
    the rpms. The bow lift was lacking as well.

9. Member
    1" would drop you 200 rpm's but you may be able to gain them back since you have more trim left to go. Did you get a warning alarm at 5800 rpm's.

10. Member
    No alarms, everything ran normal. This was the tach on the console, may not be the most
    accurate.

11. Member
    If it hit 5850 you would have been getting an alarm so maybe the tach is off. I'd run it again as it is now and try to trim it all the way out and get all it's got before buying another prop. I'd try raising it up another .25 to 3.25" and then maybe to 3" after that.