Does braid ever deteriorate?

I hope it's ok to ask this on this board. Does braid deteriorate with time if not stored in direct sunlight? Obviously, it probably will over centuries. I mean with in a realistic amount of time, such as say 5 plus years. Thanks.

2. Member
    If you are storing in a regular environment (no exessive heat, moisture, etc.) I think braid should be able to maintain its status for quite a long time.

3. Member
    I check knots by pulling hard (until they break) using a certified scale (Thanks work!). I have braid I use in salt and fresh water and it seems to make no difference, expensive or cheap. I have a bunch of mono and use it for some things but my tendency these days is a base of mono, braid, and either direct mono tied on or a snap swivel with a bit of mono leader with a loop on the end for the snap swivel.

4. Member
    The old flat Battle Line from 20+ years ago I have is still strong. It's the spectra fiber but I think micro dyneema has similar life.

I've got some braid that's several years old that's been in and out of my boat in varying temps and conditions. Spooled some up last week and it's the same as brand new stuff.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

I wouldn't put any kinda of solvent on braid.
    I've read chemicals/solvents can degraded spectra ropes in climbing/rigging scenarios.
    Probably the same with spectra fishing line.

Some superlines you will notice fraying and dry rot quicker than others...especially the laminated superlines like Fireline, Gliss, Nanofil, etc. Those types of lines I wouldn't run more than a season. The normal braided lines should be fine for several years.

8. Member
    I'm still using the same braid line that I spooled like 7 years ago. I always look for fray or anything that will nick it.

Not only that, I use 7 feet leader on St. Croix LTB Wacky Rod.

9. Member
    Nanofil easily lasts longer than one year. Have heavily used 6#Nanofil going past 5 years now have 8# going on 3 years. Knot strength is 9# & 12# respectively. I have 10# powerpro 10+ years still in use.

Quote Originally Posted by cbburke74 View Post
    I'm still using the same braid line that I spooled like 7 years ago. I always look for fray or anything that will nick it.

Not only that, I use 7 feet leader on St. Croix LTB Wacky Rod.
    I've done similar stuff with PowerLine with no issues.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

simply put, YES it can. Depends on enviroment, test, and brand. Dan
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

Shoot! I've lost track of how old some of the braided line on some of my reels is. The ones I use a lot get nibbled away one tag end at a time until it needs to be replenish but on rods like the C-rig rod the braid pretty much just drags the Big Game along for the ride with just a knot change as needed. Never a line problem. I use either Power Pro or Suffix 832 real braid....never any of that fused stuff.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.