What's the deal with the Big O?

For the last ten years. Year after year the fishing gets worse. Mainly fish the north west side of the lake. If I was fishing a mud fish tournament I could probably do well. The only time I can make it there is sometime in October or November. When the water was down did pretty well in the canals around the lake.

Confused!

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

2. Member
    Too much spraying, too much pressure, too many visiting anglers keeping too many mature female trophy fish, too many fish being caught on shiners, too many tournaments, two 100 year rains on back to back years, 1 hurricane that destroyed most of the submerged grass in the lake and much of the emergent grass and created a ton of extra sediment in areas that were clean, too many years without removal of accumulated muck, too many years of high water without a proper draw down... etc you get the point.

Oh and to say it again way too much unneeded spraying.

3. Member
    Water is very low but a lot of fish are being caught.

4. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arethaz View Post
    two 100 year rains on back to back years, 1 hurricane that destroyed most of the submerged grass in the lake and much of the emergent grass and created a ton of extra sediment in areas that were clean.
    IMO, this is it in a nutshell.. Government jumps the gun on mother nature, earns large contracts to "control" the extra vegetation, then mother nature does her thing and they're stuck with gallon$ of poison and nowhere to use it "responsibly".. So, they just spray the mud to get rid of it and keep their contracts viable.. They willingly and knowingly damage the ecosystem, just to keep their cash flow rolling in. One of many examples of government trying to fix something that doesn't need fixed.

5. Member
    fishing is great, running around is tough and always clinching your butt cheeks

Need mud motors or air boats to run that lake anymore.
    Sometimes I need my ATV when in my boat and sometimes I need my boat while riding my ATV.

Quote Originally Posted by Arethaz View Post
    Too much spraying, too much pressure, too many visiting anglers keeping too many mature female trophy fish, too many fish being caught on shiners, too many tournaments, two 100 year rains on back to back years, 1 hurricane that destroyed most of the submerged grass in the lake and much of the emergent grass and created a ton of extra sediment in areas that were clean, too many years without removal of accumulated muck, too many years of high water without a proper draw down... etc you get the point.

Oh and to say it again way too much unneeded spraying.
    Yup!
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick H View Post

For the last ten years. Year after year the fishing gets worse. Mainly fish the north west side of the lake. If I was fishing a mud fish tournament I could probably do well. The only time I can make it there is sometime in October or November. When the water was down did pretty well in the canals around the lake.

Confused!
    Welk going in October and November is going to be tough. Probably the toughest time to fish the lake

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsin09 View Post
    Welk going in October and November is going to be tough. Probably the toughest time to fish the lake
    Yeah I understand but it's the best time for us right now I would prefer Feb.and March but that's the begining of my busy season. But it just seems to get worse every year. But I agree the spraying needs to stop. I believe Florida could take some leasons from Texas. Makes me wonder if they even care. Maybe the Johnny Morris project will help it. Not holding my breath on it.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!