Tubes?? On LM and Spotted Bass lakes?

Is it worth to fish tubes on lakes that have only Spots and Large Mouth bass?

When I was in "Yankee Land" years ago, we fished them for Small Mouth, and did whack a few Large Mouth on them. Since moving to the south years ago, I have not thrown one for 25+ years.

Hartwell and Russell do not have Small Mouth that I know of. Keowee and Jocasse may have some, but we never fish them.

Ideas?

2. Member
    Why wouldn't they eat something that could look like a minnow, craw, or some other critter?
    Wave Therapy

My buddy lives 10 minutes from Hartwell. He comes with me to Ontario and fishes nothing but tubes for smallies for a week. He keeps saying that he needs to fish them at Harwell, but I don't know if he has done so yet or not. Spots and largemouth both love them! Flipping a tube or skipping a tube around cover for largemouth is a proven pattern, so why wouldn't a largemouth hit one fished deep and off shore? They will...we catch largemouth doing this all summer in my local lakes.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Tubes are great for large mouths, Texas rig it and pop it while swimming it it will give it a huge jerkbait action as the bullet weight slides forward on the line. And you can do that on part of a cast to change speed, style depth to help you figure out a pattern
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

5. Member
    They’ll catch largemouth or spots easy enough. At night I fish a 4” magnum flipping tube deep offshore & catch smallmouth, largemouth & spots.

6. Member
    I drag a lot of 4" tubes, smallmouth, spots and largemouth will all hit them really well. I prefer a tube head for dragging, and use one that rigs "stupid style".

7. Member
    I always have a Texas rigged Strike King Coffee Tube rigged. Black & blue. Great for flipping docks and weeds. Great bait.

I also have a standard rigged tube for open water smallmouth.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

8. Member
    One of the best all around, catch everything that swims, lures ever invented. Can always catch bass on a Strike King tube when nothing else is working. Deep, shallow, dirty, clear, vegetation, or open water. Always have 1 tied on!

9. Member
    Tubes are deadly for all bass
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

I catch a bunch of largemouth on them.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

11. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I used to use tubes in Florida when I was a kid but for some reason I stopped. I am going to start flipping them and pulling them through the vegetation again very soon! They have always caught fish for me and a lot of people down here don’t use them.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

12. Member
    I have good luck fishing tubes over submerged weedbeds for spots, smallies, largies here on Whiskeytown Lake. Weightless, with an oldschool Shaw Grigsby tube hook. I use it as a 'Ned rig' when Ned's not getting bit. Slow fall and doesn't pick up a lot of veg.
    A goal without a plan is just a dream.

If they will eat a jig they will eat a tube

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by detroit1 View Post
    Why wouldn't they eat something that could look like a minnow, craw, or some other critter?
    edit
    Last edited by SPOONMINNOW; 09-13-2020 at 07:17 AM.

15. Member
    edit
    Last edited by SPOONMINNOW; 09-13-2020 at 07:17 AM.

Thanks guys for the info... Just finished rigging one on, and will give it a shot next time I'm on the water.