Ultrex or mg question

I have a 16' Lowe I fish deep way more than shallow. I have used boat placement and anchors for many years. Getting old tired of cranking anchor mates. I have 3 batteries in my boat two for TM and etc. One for birds, misc.
    Looking to buy 24 volt TM with spotlock or similar function 48 inches shaft 70 pounds .. Any ideas would be appreciated

Buy the ultrex it blows any other motor away

with the spot lock and jog you can get better boat location then any anchor could with a lot less effort
    "The handicapped angler"

3. Banned
    Sounding like a broken record here
    Try out the 3-Blade KIPAWA Trolling Motors Propeller for the MinnKota
    You will definitely feel the improvement.

Unfortunately the linking of map/sonar units with trolling motor limits your options. If you are a Lawrence user then you have to stick with the motor guide units.

If you have time check out the Garmin packages. Not sure what the release date is for their trolling motor unit though.

Personally I have the Helix 10 and the Ultrex 112. I like it but I wish the lead software personal would get a reality check. The touch screen remote should bring up image of a map with close waypoints that you can select as your next destination.
    Anyone who has tried to set up an alarm clock for weigh in on the sonar/gps unit knows the frustration of the dumb ass way Humminbird software designers.

4. Member
    If you're primary interest is centered on the spot lock/anchor lock function AND you're either not concerned or very little so about actually navigating with the trolling motor then the Xi5 can save you quite a bit of money. The Ultrex is, hands down, the better navigating trolling motor(Yes, I've used both). But... the Xi5 anchor lock, heading lock and gateway software are equal to or better than the Ultrex for about $1K less.

The prudent thing to do is probably wait until all the trolling motor cos. make their new product release(s) in July before pulling the trigger.

5. Member
    Or look at an Xi3 with Pinpoint GPS. Probably the least expensive option for 55", 70# thrust with GPS anchor, heading, jog, etc.

6. Member
    Ttanks to all for r2spending going to wait till July or August then decide

7. Member
    With the intentional inaccuracies built into GPS by the military. Hitting the go to button on your Lowrance or your hummingbird and thinking your TM is going to take you to the exact spot to start jigging a brush pile is fantasy. It is going to get you close though. Advertised is 26ft. Actual is closer to 3ft before you introduce any self inflicted errors by placement of the GPS receiver ect. After spending a good amount of cash for this with the Gateway to tie the Xi5 to my lowrances, I found I really wasted my money. Get a point one GPS puck. It will keep your target relative to the front of the boat so you know where to cast as your boat is being spun around by wind and current. You will know that your target is now off the port side at 50 feet instead of off the bow. I would get the TM you want and the Fish finder you want and not worry so much about how much they will integrate.
    Stratos 2003 200 Pro XL

8. Member
    I love my ultrex when fishing off the bank at newton . Other than the fact it has been in the shop four times now I love it . It will be interesting to see what the competition comes out with this year . I would hate buy one of the new ones and have to work through their bugs and glitches .

9. Member
    I had one in my last boat and bought another for my new boat. The only way to go. I can't imagine gong back to anything else.

10. Member
    Fished with an ultrex on a 16ft boat last weekend and I was amazed, 20 mph winds.....my 16ft Lowe will have an ultrex soon.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirch View Post
    I love my ultrex when fishing off the bank at newton . Other than the fact it has been in the shop four times now I love it . It will be interesting to see what the competition comes out with this year . I would hate buy one of the new ones and have to work through their bugs and glitches .
    This is concern being down ! I fished 262 days last year old MG never let me down one time