Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ranger Bay Boats?

Anybody owned one? Spent much time in one? Opinions? Glass boats not the aluminum rigs.

2. Member
    I had the 220 Bahia and really enjoyed it. The only thing I did was put gasket on rod boxes. Loved the boat. I don’t like big tips so I put foldable Bimini top on

3. Member
    I've looked at many websites and there's not much information on them from the owners. I have a 212LS Reata and thinking the 2260 would be a better fit for my needs. I'm dreading going into a dealer and getting the bad news of how much depreciation I'll see with the Reata and how nobody will deal with a new Ranger so I just sit on my hands and do nothing. The Reata is a great boat but we fish for stripers, crappie and bass too and think it would be better suited. Can't go much bigger than the 2260 because we live on a lake and it fits on a dock with lift. Plus, I don't want a sailboat if you know what I mean. Went into one dealer awhile back and they gave me the MSRP and said they don't deal since it's a Ranger. Went into a Cabela's which had 3 or 4 of them sitting there in the back corner of the lot and covered with bird dump. Tried to talk to the salesmen but they were too busy talking old stories. Finally, one came over and talked to me. He said I needed to wait a couple of years for the depreciation on the Reata/Mercury 250 2 stroke to slow down. May have been some good advice

Quote Originally Posted by Patrnflyr View Post
    I've looked at many websites and there's not much information on them from the owners. I have a 212LS Reata and thinking the 2260 would be a better fit for my needs. I'm dreading going into a dealer and getting the bad news of how much depreciation I'll see with the Reata and how nobody will deal with a new Ranger so I just sit on my hands and do nothing. The Reata is a great boat but we fish for stripers, crappie and bass too and think it would be better suited. Can't go much bigger than the 2260 because we live on a lake and it fits on a dock with lift. Plus, I don't want a sailboat if you know what I mean. Went into one dealer awhile back and they gave me the MSRP and said they don't deal since it's a Ranger. Went into a Cabela's which had 3 or 4 of them sitting there in the back corner of the lot and covered with bird dump. Tried to talk to the salesmen but they were too busy talking old stories. Finally, one came over and talked to me. He said I needed to wait a couple of years for the depreciation on the Reata/Mercury 250 2 stroke to slow down. May have been some good advice
    For all the reasons you mention, I'd probably only consider a private party used sale.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Anybody owned one? Spent much time in one? Opinions? Glass boats not the aluminum rigs.
    We drove them at the dealer meeting and they were awesome. I don't remember the details, but we drove the bigger one with a big Verado and the smaller one with a Evinrude. They were smooth riding boats and awesome layout. Pete probably has some videos of them.

2002 Ranger 175VS - Mercury 125
    2006 Ranger Z20 - Mercury 225
    2008 Ranger TR-177 - Mercury 115
    1987 Ranger 350V - Mercury 150
    2010 Ranger Z521 - Mercury 250
    2012 Ranger Z518 - Mercury 200
    2015 Ranger Z521C - Mercury 250 ProXS
    1993 Ranger 481V - Mercury 175 ProXS
    2018 Ranger Z519 - Mercury 225 ProXS
    2020 Ranger RB190 - Mercury 115 ProXS

Thanks Chris..

7. Banned
    If it helps I am considering a bayboat...some of the big names in that market include Pathfinder, ShearwAter, Skeeter, Ranger, Yellowfin...

Yellowfin is best followed by Shearwater....then the rest in Florida people love Pathfinder...a lot...I have fished out of numerous Pathfinders and a few Rangers....Rangers are gorgeous but not cheap and apparently don’t draft as shallow as some not many for sale on the used market...lots of Pathfinders used....I think Skeeters are a great value imho and am considering one as they have a lot of value imho....of course if you have the dough Yellowfin is the way to go...kinda the “Ranger” of salt...never fished a Shearwater but they are mucho dough but well regarded.

oh I like Pathfinders too!

8. Member
    I know this is a Ranger forum, but I’m looking at a Nauticstar with a Yamaha motor. We have a dealer here in town so servicing would be easy. My nearest Ranger dealer is an hour away.

Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdawg View Post
    If it helps I am considering a bayboat...some of the big names in that market include Pathfinder, ShearwAter, Skeeter, Ranger, Yellowfin...

Yellowfin is best followed by Shearwater....then the rest in Florida people love Pathfinder...a lot...I have fished out of numerous Pathfinders and a few Rangers....Rangers are gorgeous but not cheap and apparently don’t draft as shallow as some not many for sale on the used market...lots of Pathfinders used....I think Skeeters are a great value imho and am considering one as they have a lot of value imho....of course if you have the dough Yellowfin is the way to go...kinda the “Ranger” of salt...never fished a Shearwater but they are mucho dough but well regarded.

good info..thanks.

10. Member
    I was about to purchase the Bahia 220 at the Miami boat show about six years ago. Did some reading and found out the 220 is the champion 220 bay. Found a used one with a yamaha 150 for a lot less with six hours on it and warranty left. The boat is great.
    stable. Fishes well. Great to take kids out trolling. Will handle chop nicely. The champs are rated at 225. The rangers are rated at 150 to keep the max motor and price down. At least when I was looking. Runs just shy of 50 so that’s plenty for me.

11. Member
    Had a 2310 for 3 years and absolutely loved the boat. Was comfortable fishing 4-5 people at a time and the family loved going on it. It runs flat and eats up chop. Floats shallow for a heavy boat (about 16-18”) if that’s relevant to you. Top speed was 54mph with a 300 and would run 52 all day any conditions (within reason). The 220 was a price point boat and the build quality was not on the same level as the 2310, 2410, and 2510. I’m not up to speed on the current models. For fishability, comfort, and functionality you will be hard pressed to beat the 2310. Each saltwater model has different characteristics from the other, More so than the bass lineup. Where most models are very closely the same, size and HP being the main difference. . My favorite part of the 2310 was the raised front deck almost flush with the gunnel gave you a good perspective sight fishing even without a cooler or casting platform. I now live inland and 7 hours from the coast so I have a z520. But if I were to move back to the coast I would not hesitate to buy a Ranger again and that would be my first choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Las10488 View Post
    Had a 2310 for 3 years and absolutely loved the boat. Was comfortable fishing 4-5 people at a time and the family loved going on it. It runs flat and eats up chop. Floats shallow for a heavy boat (about 16-18”) if that’s relevant to you. Top speed was 54mph with a 300 and would run 52 all day any conditions (within reason). The 220 was a price point boat and the build quality was not on the same level as the 2310, 2410, and 2510. I’m not up to speed on the current models. For fishability, comfort, and functionality you will be hard pressed to beat the 2310. Each saltwater model has different characteristics from the other, More so than the bass lineup. Where most models are very closely the same, size and HP being the main difference. . My favorite part of the 2310 was the raised front deck almost flush with the gunnel gave you a good perspective sight fishing even without a cooler or casting platform. I now live inland and 7 hours from the coast so I have a z520. But if I were to move back to the coast I would not hesitate to buy a Ranger again and that would be my first choice.
    thank you...

Pretty proud of em...a 2015 worth more than any 2015 Ranger Bass boat? Is this the real value or inflated dealer pricing.

https://www.premier-yamaha.com/defau...=xAllInventory

14. Member
    We owned a Ranger Bay 20 from 2006-2014. Loved it. It had compartment seals, plenty of vertical and horizontal rod storage, a great livewell and ample secured, dry storage, electric trim tabs and a host of other features, TM included. Ran a Yamaha F150 four stroke, which is max BIA rated for the 20 footer, on a Bobs Hyd Plate. Great in rough water too. Fished inshore, lakes and tidal rivers with it and did well bass fishing in it. Draft was about 9” of water. Ran 45-48.5 MPH, full gas and 350lbs of anglers and normal tackle.
    Not sure when they quit making the Bay 20 and 22. If I were to move back to a bay boat, I would look for one of the older models. I have some pix of mine. If interested, send me a text or email destination.
    Hope this helps.
    "Semper Fi"
    USMC (ret)

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdawg View Post

Alot of truth here but I will throw in my 2 cents. Bay boats are by far the most popular type boat along the the northern gulf coast. The Bay boat market tends to be alot more regional than what you see in the bass boat world. Ranger makes a great bay boat, Ranger quality, rides good, Ranger fit and finish . I agree Yellowfin is one of the best but they only make one model of bay boat and its 24' , its fast and rides well but its alot of boat and I have heard there is a waiting list. Another very nice boat is Blackjack which is owned by the Kenner Brothers. First class boat with fit and finish thats every bit as good as a Ranger or Yellowfin, fast excellent ride. The Bluewave boats are also nice, they were popular in Texas and have really spread east over the last 5 or 10 years. They fish and ride well, the fit and finish is very good but not quite as good as Ranger. Triton bay boats is another to consider, excellent ride, great fit and finish, not the fastest but it makes up for it in other areas. Lake and Bay out of Florida makes a very nice boat, great fit and finish and fast.
    There are many more.

16. Member
    I have a Ranger Bay 2350 w/ Merc Pro xs 250 four stroke on it. There's a lot of quality options out there in bay boats. We love our Ranger though. I have a little over 80 hours on it so far and very pleased. Let me know if you have any specific questions on it.

Walked through a 2310 today...Liked it alot. Going to summer boat show tomm. Put my Triton tin up for sale yesterday.

18. Member
    I have had a 2400 Bay since I bought new in 2008. I've used the fire out of the boat; it's been on lakes, inland waterways and out in the open ocean. It's a solid tank that will fly if you have the nerve. I have a Yammi F250 on it and will hit 52MPH, full tank and two big guys. The best part is that you can fight a fish 360 degrees, run around the boat like a track meet and the boat will never dip and rock. it's really that solid. Try one, you'll love it.

19. Member
    i moved out of Ranger bass boats some years back and am on my second Ranger bay boat …….and love it. Took me a while to get used to not running 70 plus, but I am extremely happy with the move. Opened up salt water to me and have had a blast with it. I fish 90 percent of the time for bass on big water (Champlain, Ontario and 1000 Islands) and I am out when bass boats are not (except for some of the REAL diehards), For me it was about the ride in those long runs on those big lakes. Sooooo much smoother. kites a little in heavy wind, but overall a great boat to fish bass and saltwater in the Northeast.

Quote Originally Posted by murphy's law View Post
    i moved out of Ranger bass boats some years back and am on my second Ranger bay boat …….and love it. Took me a while to get used to not running 70 plus, but I am extremely happy with the move. Opened up salt water to me and have had a blast with it. I fish 90 percent of the time for bass on big water (Champlain, Ontario and 1000 Islands) and I am out when bass boats are not (except for some of the REAL diehards), For me it was about the ride in those long runs on those big lakes. Sooooo much smoother. kites a little in heavy wind, but overall a great boat to fish bass and saltwater in the Northeast.
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast