Is there a 'quick and dirty' way to flush trim fluid?

Any suggestions on a 'quick and dirty' way to flush trim fluid? Another poster brought it up and reminded me that mine looked dirty last time I checked it, I'm sure it's original from 2001.

Looking for something like, say, 'tilt up, suck out as much hydro oil as possible with a turkey baster, top off with clean fluid, close cap. Cycle up and down, repeat a few times'? Will that work?

What fluid do most of you use? Quicksilver only or anything else work from the auto parts store?
    Fish frequently, my friends! ----------<')))><
    2001 Triton TR20, 225L OptiMax, 26" Tempest Plus, Serial No: PT345686

2. Member
    Pull reservoir will certainly fit "quick and dirty". :) Will still be some fluid in pump/etc internal passages.

You can always try the reservoir trick you mentioned, and repeat a couple of times and you will end up with pretty much clean fluid, but there will still be some old fluid mixed in...
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

3. Member
    Suggest you use Mercury tilt/trim fluid or one that meets the same Mil Spec.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Also, the lowest point in the system is the Manual Relief Screw (at least the easiest accessed one).

The only way to accurately flush the system is to completely disassemble it. Anything less borders on futility.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Isn't the relief screw a no-no to remove? I noticed Merc has a special tool to help align it for re-installation, I presume to avoid damaging the screw and/or seals/surfaces.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The relief screw can be removed- although all of the o-rings should be inspected for damage (or simply replace with a new one).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Also, the lowest point in the system is the Manual Relief Screw (at least the easiest accessed one).

The only way to accurately flush the system is to completely disassemble it. Anything less borders on futility.
    So if there are no leaks, should I not worry about a little bit of dirty hydraulic fluid? It's not milky colored or anything, just 2001 old old.

Thanks for everyone's feedback...

8. Member
    Sometimes if it ain't broke......don't try to fix it......or it will be broke.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post

So if there are no leaks, should I not worry about a little bit of dirty hydraulic fluid? It's not milky colored or anything, just 2001 old old.

Thanks for everyone's feedback...

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You would need to use your best judgement on that.