1000 Islands, NY - The ONE rod needed...

If you could fish ONE rod in the 1000 Islands, NY and/or similar waters, what would it be? I am almost certain 99% of answers will be spinning but which one? Price is no object and I already have a variety of reels to match (Exist 3012, Luvias 3012, 2508, SS Tatula 3000, Ci4+ 2500, etc.) Thanks and best wishes on the water!

2. Member
    NRX 822dsr

3. Member
    St Croix Avid X 7’ Med Lite. Sensitive enough to feel the difference between sand and gravel when using a dropshot but light enough to where if you’re fishing the main lake you have enough flex.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

4. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I'll be the non-spinning guy..... NRX 852C JWR. I'll sacrifice being able to quickly drop it on their heads in order to cover the entire water column with a variety of presentations.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 by 3 View Post
    NRX 822dsr
    Yep

6. Member
    Legend elite 76ml
    Nitro z21

7. Member
    This one will cover all your needs !
    https://alxrods.com/collections/zolo...-fast-spinning

What could be the greatest spinning rod of all time paired with one of the greatest spinning reels of all time!

Daiwa Steez 76MML-AGS
    Daiwa Exist LT

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    What could be the greatest spinning rod of all time paired with one of the greatest spinning reels of all time!

Daiwa Steez 76MML-AGS
    Daiwa Exist LT
    The dream combo!!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Guy View Post
    The dream combo!!
    Yes sir it is and I smile every time I pick it up, even if it's not to fish with it which I do quite often

11. Member
    Can you elaborate on this rod? Steez rods in the past were not considered to highly for the name and price
    Nitro z21

Quote Originally Posted by jasonG View Post
    Can you elaborate on this rod? Steez rods in the past were not considered to highly for the name and price
    I agree, Steez rods in the past were generally overpriced. The build quality has always been there, but the sensitivity wasn't. The new AGS Steez rods have rectified that situation and they are now easily among the most sensitive series available. I hope to see a few additions to that line up in the near future.

Regarding "The Unicorn" as one youtube guy calls it, the Steez 76MML-AGS is an amazing rod. In terms of sensitivity, versatility, fishability, and just that fun to fish with feeling, this rod has the "it" factor. I've paired mine with a few different reels, but obviously Exist LT 3000-CXH is what landed there permanently. I've fished everything down to a 1/24 oz. crappie jig, ned rigs, neko rigs, drop shots, shakey heads, Senko, fluke, loads of jerk baits and crank baits, and on and on. It has a nice light tip action and surprising back bone. I landed a 20# flathead catfish last summer on a drop shot with 7# Sunline Super FC Sniper. I'm presently running 10# YGK G-Soul SS 112 Sinking Braid, which by the way is the best casting braided line I've ever used - truly impressive stuff.

All things considered, if I had to have "one spinning rod to rule them all" the Steez 76MML-AGS would without a doubt be at the top of the list for me. Please feel free to send me a PM if you would like more information. We try to keep them in stock.

13. Member

Daiwa Steez 76MML-AGS
    Daiwa Exist LT
    This

14. Member
    Thanks definitely has me interested.

I agree, Steez rods in the past were generally overpriced. The build quality has always been there, but the sensitivity wasn't. The new AGS Steez rods have rectified that situation and they are now easily among the most sensitive series available. I hope to see a few additions to that line up in the near future.

Regarding "The Unicorn" as one youtube guy calls it, the Steez 76MML-AGS is an amazing rod. In terms of sensitivity, versatility, fishability, and just that fun to fish with feeling, this rod has the "it" factor. I've paired mine with a few different reels, but obviously Exist LT 3000-CXH is what landed there permanently. I've fished everything down to a 1/24 oz. crappie jig, ned rigs, neko rigs, drop shots, shakey heads, Senko, fluke, loads of jerk baits and crank baits, and on and on. It has a nice light tip action and surprising back bone. I landed a 20# flathead catfish last summer on a drop shot with 7# Sunline Super FC Sniper. I'm presently running 10# YGK G-Soul SS 112 Sinking Braid, which by the way is the best casting braided line I've ever used - truly impressive stuff.

All things considered, if I had to have "one spinning rod to rule them all" the Steez 76MML-AGS would without a doubt be at the top of the list for me. Please feel free to send me a PM if you would like more information. We try to keep them in stock.
    Nitro z21

15. Member
    I have heard so many good things about "the unicorn" that maybe I should just pony up and get one. I could put my still NIB Exist 3012H on it and think it would make a nice fit.

16. Member
    Regarding "The Unicorn" as one youtube guy calls it, the Steez 76MML-AGS is an amazing rod.
    Having fished this rod...I would agree it is the end-all be-all spinning rod to do everything...an amazingly versatile piece of gear.

The video in question:

17. Member
    Whew, that sure does seem like a dream combo Gary!

Quote Originally Posted by Turtleiron View Post
    Whew, that sure does seem like a dream combo Gary!
    Absolutely - it's my favorite spinning combo without a doubt. TT finally got the Megabass Okashira Screw Heads back in stock and I was throwing a 1/16 oz with a 2.8" Keitech on this combo yesterday with the YGK line mentioned above and it's amazing the distance...

Any of you guys wanting an ultimate spinning rod, let me know, this is the one. They are back in stock for the time being...