Northern Michigan Mercury

Having motor issues and striking out so far finding someone that can help with service.

Anyone have a suggestion for a good Mercury Mechanic in Northern Michigan? Preferably the Traverse City area.

2. Member
    That's about what I thought, downstate I go...

3. Member
    It's far, but Lake Drive Marine is great with Mercs.
    -Matt

4. Member
    What issues are you having? There's a ranger and Lund dealer in Brutus, Maple Bay marine, but I have no experience with their service department.

5. Member
    Fished a tournament Saturday, put a bunch of miles on it, started it a dozen times no issues what so ever. Ran back to the ramp, turned it off to go get the trailer... and it hasn't run since.

It cranks but won't turn over. I've tried all the simple stuff, kill switch, switched tanks (pump ball nice and firm on both), fuel filter. Really not sure what it would be. My theory is electrical because of the on/off type issue, but I could be totally wrong.

6. Member
    Is this a ProXs? If so have you checked the fuses on the starboard side of the motor? Also, do you have a main battery switch in the bilge?

7. Member
    You could make a post on the merc boards and see if you get some help there before taking it in for service. Some other possibilities are neutral safety switch and main harness under the cowl, referred to as the cannon plug.
    If you decide to post on the merc boards, they will want you to post your serial number.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    Is this a ProXs? If so have you checked the fuses on the starboard side of the motor? Also, do you have a main battery switch in the bilge?
    It is not a ProXS, but it does have a fuse in the same place and it's good. I do have a switch in the bilge, but everything else connected to it is working fine.

9. Member
    Sometimes those switches will go bad. Even though some accessories are still working off the switch, I would start there. It might not be able to handle the higher amperage of the cranking battery. There was a similar issue posted on the merc boards last week. The guy eliminated the switch and it resolved his problem he was having. Just something else to check out. What motor do you have? What kind of boat? I'm probably not describing the switch issues properly, but it is worth a shot!

10. Member
    we get great service at macdonald marine in frankfort by crystal lake and torch river marina.