towing on three wheels....

Was on my way home from the lake the other day and noticed lots of vibration...upon inspection my rear port side wheel was at a 45 degree angle...I took the tire off and noticed that the previous owner of the boat decided to "weld" the end unit assembly onto the splined shaft as the splined shaft had been stripped out from abuse...well his extremely poor weld finally broke. I have a new axle on order from BCB but I need to get the boat/trailer to the shop about 20 miles away. One person reccomended just pulling off the bad wheel/end unit and driving it on three...while this isn't ideal will it be ok for 20 miles to get it to the trailer shop to be fixed? trailer is a 2013 dual axle sitting under a 2013 Pantera 4.

Below is a picture of the previous owners "handywork" this is about the 10th thing I have found "rigged" on this boat I am just lucky I made it home on the 20 hour drive after picking it up...moral of the story don't trust a mans word when he says the trailer axles and suspension are in brand new condition and its safe to tow across country.

1 2.jpg
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

2. Banned
    Hell, I pulled one over 100 miles one time, on 95

Quote Originally Posted by Phisherman View Post
    Hell, I pulled one over 100 miles one time, on 95
    I am just afraid it will wreck the front torsion axle and I will have to replace that as well.

4. Member
    take both wheels off the rear axle and use a ratchet strap on each side to secure the rear axle up tight to the frame of the trailer. should pull just like a single axle trailer.

I three wheeled a torsion trailer 100 miles, I slowed way down and had no issues
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Quote Originally Posted by jaucoin178 View Post
    take both wheels off the rear axle and use a ratchet strap on each side to secure the rear axle up tight to the frame of the trailer. should pull just like a single axle trailer.
    This is a torsion axle trailer so that cannot be done. I will just take it slow on the way there I think and hope it doesnt stress the front torsions too much.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by b*******51 View Post
    I am just afraid it will wreck the front torsion axle and I will have to replace that as well.
    You can use a ratchet strap to assist also, as mentioned.

8. Member
    I’ve done it when my torsion axle broke. Towed around 60 miles. Just take it slow, give extra room for braking and hope to god you don’t get a flat.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaucoin178 View Post

2 tires might not be rated for weight of everything combined? BCB's usually have car tires times 4 not trailer tires rated for more weight per tire
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Pulling torsion axles on three wheels is fine. We would set the caster/camber on that axle and get it re-welded. The casting won’t weld good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Pulling torsion axles on three wheels is fine. We would set the caster/camber on that axle and get it re-welded. The casting won’t weld good.
    I am replacing the entire axle (already ordered from BCB last week) but just wanted to make sure it was fine to go 20 miles down the road to the shop. Appreciate the input!

I'm not too terribly mechanical but I installed a new axle myself (with help from my son) and it wasn't too bad of a job.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.