Thread: 09 Z7 hole shot

09 Z7 hole shot

hello, i just got this boat back in January, first fiberglass bass boat, the whole shot is a dog, takes a bit to get on plane especially when there is some weight in the boat. it is a 08 150 EFI with a trophy plus 4 blade 21p prop, i want to say that it is on a manual jackplate don't know what size. any suggestions? thanks for your help

2. Member
    For a new boat owner, I would suggest using the search function or look at existing posts, which will help you a bunch. Most of the time with new boat owners there is an issue with the interface between the steering wheel and the motor. Set your prop to pad at 3.5"; get a 23 Tempest, tilt your motor all of the way down when coming out of the hole, and remove all unnecessary weight from the back. If you aren't certain about your jack plate, find out what it is and report back. You should easily be able to tell the difference between manual and hydraulic. Manual requires a wrench while hydraulic requires electricity.

3. Member

4. Member
    That's definitely a manual.

Try removing plugs, does it have a cav ring on the prop? Personally i'd remove it if it does.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

6. Member
    The higher the motor the better the holeshot, like said above, a 23p Tempest is, in my opinion, the best prop for the Z-7 with the 150. 3.5" P2P is a good place to start, mine is best at 3".

Balance your weight. I keep heavier tackle in the rear, lighter in the front because you will need lift once on plane.
    Kyle

2010 Nitro Z-7

PB: 11 lbs, 1 oz

7. Member
    update, i put a tempest 23P on the boat first run was good seems to help with the hole shot, definitely better top end, went from mid 50's to over 60 mph, still working on the p2p, what's the best way to measure this

8. Member
    On a flat surface with your motor trimmed down to level, measure from the center of your prop shaft (the center of the cone) to the floor. Then measure from the the bottom of the lowest part of the pad to the floor. Subtract the prop shaft number from the pad number and there is your answer.

9. Member
    Thank you sir.