question for Backlash...but feel free to comment

I've been wondering about cutting away the inside walls of my 2 consoles to make some more room. Sort of like the newer style boats. I'm wondering to what degree it would impact structural integrity, if at all. I used to have a 201 single and it was much easier getting under the drivers console for wiring, hotfoot etc. than it is with the dual. I'm 6'5"...and not quite a contortionist.
    Thanks for any input.
    2000 VIPER COBRA 201D /225 Merc EFI SER: 0T054298
    Where does the white go when the snow melts?

2. Cobra Boats Moderator Backlash Ar's Avatar
    I'm no structural engineer but I don't think that cutting away some of the console would have any impact on the structural integrity of your Cobra. It would still remain attached in the same two places it currently is now.

I thought I would be on Easy Street by now but somehow I missed the off ramp!

Thanks Larry! I guess I should have been more specific. When I mentioned structural integrity, it was pertaining to the actual consoles themselves and not the hull in general. With the consoles being molded to the outer gunwales as well as the rod lockers, I was just curious as to what part the inside walls would play in terms of supporting the consoles. In other words, do you think by cutting them away it would put a strain on the other 2 attachment points to where the consoles might sag? Just asking as you used to build them. Thanks again

4. Member
    I been wanting to do the same thing.
    JEFF
    TALBOTT,TN
    VIPER COBRA 201
    Mercury pro xs

5. Cobra Boats Moderator Backlash Ar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hookahawg View Post
    Thanks Larry! I guess I should have been more specific. When I mentioned structural integrity, it was pertaining to the actual consoles themselves and not the hull in general. With the consoles being molded to the outer gunwales as well as the rod lockers, I was just curious as to what part the inside walls would play in terms of supporting the consoles. In other words, do you think by cutting them away it would put a strain on the other 2 attachment points to where the consoles might sag? Just asking as you used to build them. Thanks again
    Tough to answer that question since no one I know has done that, but common sense tells me that it would depend on just how much you plan to cut away. If it's just enough to allow you more room to swing your legs out then I would think that wouldn't be a problem. However, if you plan to remove the entire side of the driver's console I wouldn't recommend that unless you reinforce the remaining contact points.

I thought I would be on Easy Street by now but somehow I missed the off ramp!

thank you sir!

Quote Originally Posted by hookahawg View Post
    I've been wondering about cutting away the inside walls of my 2 consoles to make some more room. Sort of like the newer style boats. I'm wondering to what degree it would impact structural integrity, if at all. I used to have a 201 single and it was much easier getting under the drivers console for wiring, hotfoot etc. than it is with the dual. I'm 6'5"...and not quite a contortionist.
    Thanks for any input.
    If you do it please post pics.