Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

FMJ, NRX, or Xtasy

Looking at the FMJ, NRX 873, or 754 Xtasy for 1/2 ounce jigs and 10” worms with 1/4 ounce weight. This will be a buy once cry once rod for me. Would like some opinions because I haven’t had my hands on any of these but read good reviews.

If you are looking for the most sensitive then I would go with the NRX.

No experience with th fmj. Only orochi xx 'a and one black jungle megabass. For me, and I know there are a lot of nrx fans out there, I'd go with the xtasy. I had a nrx873 as my ref point. Very Sensitive blank for sure. However, where it falls short to me is it was tip heavy. I know, some will say add quarters in a chair leg cap to the butt of the rod. While I agree that will fix balance issue, I cannot mentally justify having to jerry rig a $500 rod. I also really disliked the recoil guides. They felt cheap and were fragile. The xtasy has awesome guides and balances beautifully. I also don't think you feel like you gave up anything on the sesativity.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

4. Member
    FMJ is the best half ounce jig rod I ever owned. Perfect balance and feel. I went from NRX 894 to FMJ to Conquest 904C. All great Rods. I left the FMJ because of breakage issues but I’m told those issues are behind them.

The Megabass US Destroyer FMJ is absolutely amazing. I've been fishing this rod since it came out without any issues at all. It is one of the best jig/worm rods I've ever fished.

6. Member
    My FMJ has been the cats meow for me but I have a feeling the new Xtasy might be little under rated. Close friend of mine recently picked up a Xtasy 753S for tubes fished it for some big smallies came way very impressed with its sensitivity and action. Admitted to me he was pleasantly surprised and now picks up his Xtasy before the NRX 872S for tubes. Might just be one of those magic sticks in the lineup but with the heavy discounts on Dobyns rods these days I will be definitely trying one soon.

7. Member
    I have a 754C and it's an amazing rod. I have an SV103XS on it with 16lb. Sunline on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Big-Bass1; 06-04-2019 at 09:50 AM.

8. Member
    for 1/2oz jigs the FMJ is it. I haven't tried anything else on the rod so can't give an opinion other than with jigs.

9. Member
    I was supposed to get an FMJ last June at this same time and paid $250 for it. The rod arrived broken in transit. I sent it back to the buyer, he used the warranty to get a replacement, told me he shipped it back to me, then lost all communication. No rod, no contact, he kept my money.
    Last edited by Big-Bass1; 06-04-2019 at 11:49 AM.

10. Member
    Xtasy

11. Member
    I had a NRX 873 and sold it once I fished a FMJ. I've had the FMJ for a year and a half now. It's what you want.
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

I have an FMJ and also owned a NRX 873. I feel that a 1/2 oz jig is a little overpowering for the FMJ...could be because I throw my jigs with 25 lb fluoro instead of braid? The FMJ will definitely work well as a texas rig rod. The NRX 873 was a nice rod but it just didn't wow me. Me personally, I have been using a Kistler KLX 7' 3" Heavy Mod-Fast as my jig rod going on 4 years now. It's by far the best 3/8 to 1/2 oz jig rod I have owned. It's got great back bone and loads extremely well...love it when fishing wood or crawling jigs down rock banks.

https://www.kistlerrods.com/store/kl...shing-rod.html

13. Member
    I have owned the fmj , and the nrx 873 . I really liked both rods and used them for the techniques you mentioned somewhat. Honestly i ended up mostly using the nrx for deeper water offshore stuff. dont get me wrong it would pictch jigs great just ended up going that route with that particular rod. The fmj is definitely more balanced than the 873 and with the right reel floats in your hand like a pendulum action almost. I loved this rod for pitching jigs and creature baits and also used it for skipping 3/8 oz jigs. you cant go wrong with either of your choices as im willing to bet the dobyns would be great also just dont have any experience with the xtasy rods.

Really interesting to hear people choosing it over the NRX. I have always thought of my NRXs as the best Jig/Worm rods out there. I just ordered an Addermine last week, maybe I will have to try a FMJ next.
    13 year old Tracker

15. Banned
    Not sure why the NRX 873.....the 893 and 894 are far superior to that particular NRX model...

16. Member
    893 be underpowered for any 1/2 jig plus trailer.

17. Banned
    I throw 3/4 footballs plus trailer on a 893

18. Member
    I'm sure if you go with any of those choices you'll be satisfied. I'll drop another vote for the Xtasy though. Amazing rod.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxxlue View Post
    I throw 3/4 footballs plus trailer on a 893
    really? What line are you using and are you using a very light wire hook youre trying to protect. Dragging a 1/2 or 3/4 football theres no way id go below the 894. The 873 will handle 1/2 but is overpowered with a 3/4 and the 893 is softer than the 873. Granted im around brush most anytime im throwing a jig and there isnt much just dragging through open water. Most of our jig fishing is 10-25’
    They aint got hands, set the hook

The Xtasy line has really impressed me - I reach for these now over my NRX.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast