Squealing Starter

Hello - Engine is Mercury 50 ELPT, year 2013, serial 1C266632. The starter makes a horrible squealing noise, and is getting worse/louder. Despite the noise, the starter operates as it should and cranks strong and fast. The engine only has about 70 hours on it, I bought it recently with 50 hours.

Seems like I should just replace the starter or have it rebuilt? Any chance there is something more going on here? It looks simple enough to swap out but I hesitate to touch it before asking around, since I don't know much about these things. The engine doesn't seem old enough for the starter to be worn out?

Battery is brand new. I did recently change up the wiring and add an on/off switch to the positive lead. The wiring wasn't really extended and shouldn't have voltage drop, but I haven't done any electrical testing. The ground from the starting battery is also connected to a common ground with my house system, but nothing else is connected to the starting battery.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice.
    Greg

2. Member
    Was it squealing prior to your additions ie switch and wiring. Don't understand the house system common ground statement

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Probably a bearing or bushing in the starter. While you could carry it in to a local starter shop, I suspect you will end up replacing it. Relatively simple to install.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thank you guys. The noise is certainly sounds like it could be a worn bearing or bushing. I think I will go ahead and just replace it myself. I was just uncertain because I thought the engine was new enough that it shouldn't be worn out.

Not too sure about if it made noise before my work, since I just used it once last fall and did all the work over the winter. It may have been faint and getting worse over time.