Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Have fished the Fringe swimbaits on humps around here and when they get on it, can't put it down. Might be a three pounder, maybe a five, you never know!

I don't fish any exotic swimbaits like the huddleston's or anything like that but the Hollow Bodies and a solid body in 3 & 1/2 inch up to six always have one tied on. Great for schooling bass

Quote Originally Posted by idratherbeefishin View Post
    I don't fish any exotic swimbaits like the huddleston's or anything like that but the Hollow Bodies and a solid body in 3 & 1/2 inch up to six always have one tied on. Great for schooling bass

many throw those but I was interested in guys throwing 6" and above on a regular basis. There are plenty in that size that are very inexpensive and work.

4. Member
    Being an "old guy" throwing a big swim bait for more than an hour just does not happen. So yes, I am hooked as much as my shoulders allow. Why? Third cast with a S-Waver netted a 5lb 4oz spot on Lake Shasta. I usually throw a Hud or S-Waver for an hour or so then move on to whatever seems appropriate.

5. Member
    Do any of these swim-baits work well with leaders? I get a lot of pike or Muskie bite-offs when I throw larger swim-baits up here and I’ve wondered if using titanium leaders will hamper their action and effectiveness for bass, especially with glide baits.

6. Member
    I throw a couple of big glidebaits about every trip this time of year. Over heavy grass they work great.

Quote Originally Posted by bware View Post
    Do any of these swim-baits work well with leaders? I get a lot of pike or Muskie bite-offs when I throw larger swim-baits up here and I’ve wondered if using titanium leaders will hamper their action and effectiveness for bass, especially with glide baits.
    Great question as I've never thrown one with a leader but I am thinking any added weight will affect some glides etc. Maybe not enough to matter so maybe someone who has tried them with leaders can chime in.

8. Member
    Just for the fun of it I have a couple tackle bags that must weigh over 20# of nothing but large swim baits. I have Huddlestons, Fin S, etc. these baits have caught a lot of monster size Stripers here in Ky. and Tenn. for a long time. They also have done well on very large Large Mouth for me when fishing the Big O. I was trading a few swim baits for golden shiners back in the day.

9. Member
    Any of you swimbait experts feel like a challenge and would like to give a few tips, just let me know and I will take you fishing on Beaver Lake. I bought a 168 S Waver in bone color because read in Bassmaster, John Murray said that is the all around color. Been throwing all year and have NOT had a single fish touch it. Looks great swimming. But, have lost all confidence that, at least on Beaver, total waste of time. This ain't Clear Lake, Ca. All advice would be appreciated.

The lake or area of the country makes no difference in whether or not the fish will eat it. Check out the Tactical Bassin YouTube Channel. Matt Allen is on a cross country trip right now with his daughter and CC. They are catching fish all across the country and the S-Waver has been a producer even in your neck of the woods. The 168 size is a great bait in that it catches 2 pounders just as well as the giants. It's like any other bait in that it takes some learning to figure out how to work the bait to get the fish to react. There are several videos on that same channel that describe in detail how to fish the S-Waver as well as many other swimbaits.

If you need another "low" cost swimbait that really puts fish in the boat pick up a Bull Shad Bull Gill. It's awesome at this time of the year. Burn it and kill it near bream beds, grass lines, or brush.

11. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I fish a LOT of the 6” soft swimbaits on weighted hooks but I definitely want to start throwing the bigger swimbaits that you’re speaking of Mark. Fall in Florida will be a great time for them so I have time to learn.

It didn’t take all that long for these soft plastic swimbaits to become a fish catcher for me that I have a LOT of confidence in, and I’m thinking the larger ones will catch fish just as well.

The issue, for me, is deciding where to start. There are so many, and the prices range so much that I need to find one or two to learn with.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post
    First trip I threw a R2S S-Waver 168...

Fatty!

13. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Fatty!

The fish was a chunk, as well.
    Who controls John Gill?

14. Member
    Bullshads, toxic baits, taterhawg, never heard of them ;)

The fish was a chunk, as well.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

16. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Great question as I've never thrown one with a leader but I am thinking any added weight will affect some glides etc. Maybe not enough to matter so maybe someone who has tried them with leaders can chime in.

Tie-able steel fly fishing leader is the shit...

17. Scraps
    About to order some Dark Sleepers and MagDrafts. A little torn with the sizes. I am guilty of resisting using heavier baits but with all the plastic on the baits I can see use for the 3/4 and 1oz versions.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    About to order some Dark Sleepers and MagDrafts. A little torn with the sizes. I am guilty of resisting using heavier baits but with all the plastic on the baits I can see use for the 3/4 and 1oz versions.

On the DS just get a couple of each size as they are inexpensive enough. Hard to beat the 6" Magdraft overall. Good size to start with and build confidence with.

19. Member
    I've got 4 rods that have a 6 inch swimbait or glide bait tied on the boat every trip out. It does not matter what lake, what state, what conditions anything, they simply never leave my boat. They catch to many fish and although they catch plenty of big fish they catch plenty of "decent" fish as well and when you put one in your hand you have a feeling that your next cast can be your PB on any given day! The 6 inch magdraft is the best fish catcher in my arsenal but I catch plenty on 3:16 swimbaits, Jenko Booty shaker 6 and 7 inch swimbaits, Swavers, Shine Glides and Smashtech baits. It's an addiction and for a good reason.

20. Banned
    First trip I threw a R2S S-Waver 168...

Ordered 1 to try if the lakes ever get back down.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast