Best set up for a young kid?

My Kids are 5 and 2 1/2, and they've been breaking every spiderman/dora rod that they get. I'm trying to find a good spincast set up that they can use for a few years. They usually just like to chuck and wind a small spinnerbait. I'm thinking a little zebco 33 with a Berkley lightning or ugly stick. I may have to cut it down for my 2 1/2 year old. Am I missing anything? Will a zebco/ugly stick last them a few years?

I'm getting to be in a similar position. My kid is about 2 1/2 and I'm going to be working with him soon. I've had the thought that I can just teach him on a spinning reel, but that's probably not realistic. So I've looked at spincast reels hoping to find something a little better than the old junky things I grew up with. Surprisingly there seem to be quite a few! I haven't tried any yet, but Daiwa, Pflueger, Abu, and Zebco all have models that appear to be higher quality.

I'm sure you couldn't go wrong with an Ugly Stick for the rod - obviously not sensitive, but that doesn't matter.

Following to see if anyone has some firsthand experience and suggestions.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

3. Member
    This is from a long time ago as my kids a grown now, but I started them on Shimano ultralight rods with a Shimano reel that I believe was called a quick fire, it was pretty sweet it was a regular spinning reel but had a trigger to pull which would open the bail and extend a small pin that would hold the line.bwhen casting the line would slip off the pin. May still have one down in the shop

4. Banned
    A nice underspin reel. "Balances" much better than a standard spincast reel, and more manageable than a spinning reel.

https://www.bestreviews.guide/unders...&google_params[matchtype]=e&google_params[network]=g&google_params[device]=m&google_params[creative]=305123658603&google_params[keyword]=best underspin reel&google_params[adposition]=1t1&google_params[adgroupid]=61445109540&google_params[campaignid]=1602949611&bs=ctIltE_dzcDRLK0OG3WLL-9Dj1W59HQIYwkzIueTqwUyfJn84x5WVOanqI_0R1j31XOt1SLe zL5zp7WJSQ7r1Q==&google_params[feeditemid]=&google_params[targetid]=kwd-460124669425&google_params[loc_interest_ms]=&google_params[loc_physical_ms]=9015430&google_params[devicemodel]=&google_params[target]=&dest=0&sys_id=0|605&gclid=Cj0KCQjwitPnBRCQARIsAA 5n84m-AacMZqy1PG0sbkZgMqaHjnb0VjNM1Fltws466et57-2pQ2KJPR0aAkcvEALw_wcB

5. Member
    After going through a bunch of the same thing with my 4 year old, I bought him a zebco 33 micro combo. It's a 5' UL, and the reel has been pretty bulletproof. I'm thinking about putting it on an old 5'6" Diawa rod for bass fishing, but right now he tears up the gills on his own.

I highly recommend the micro size reel, because I've let him use his brother's full size zebco, and his hands are just too small to get to the button comfortably, or to hold the reel and rod when casting. The 33 micro has been the only reel that fits his hands, and doesn't fall apart in one day.

I haven't tried putting slightly heavier line on it than the 4 pound it comes with, but I'm thinking it will manage 8 pound with a little KVD spray. I've heard of guys using a light braid or nanofil on the micro size reels for their kiddos, but I haven't tried it myself.
    Last edited by mixermark; 06-04-2019 at 09:55 PM.

6. Member
    I also reccomend an underspin. But I will say my 5 year old took to a spinning rod QUICK. His grandfather bought him one of those dock demons (I think) spinning combos like 5 foot or so. The little guy cast across the pond on the second attempt. Obviously each person is different but dont rule it out. This year my boy is 7 and will be throwing spinnerbaits with a 2500 sized spinning reel for pike....

7. Member
    Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I ended up getting a small pfluger president spincast, and pairing it with a berkley lightning casting rod (graciously given to me for free by a bbc member). I also got a pink zebco 33 combo for my daughter and will just replace the rod when it inevitably breaks and hope the reel will last a few years. I'm thinking the spincast to baitcaster transition isn't too bad down the road.

8. Member
    Between like 5 or 6 my dad put a BPS rod with an abu 4500 on it in my hands. Never looked back.

9. Member
    Ugly stick, just bought grand son a new rod and he had the tip broke before we got home. Ugh!

10. Member
    As far as the reels go it's pretty hit and miss for quality at the Walmart price point. I've been through the old daiwa microspins, new Abu sx, 33's, andnow I'm on the pfluegers. I've got 6 kids and no matter how nice the reel casts at first they will destroy it. The pflueger is at least metal. Go with shorter 2 piece rods and theyll last longer. The kids dont have to gave the bite sensitivity we demand, they have bobbers(for the most part). THE BIGGEST ISSUE OF OFF THR SHELF REELS IS LINE. Replace the line right away unless you want to untangle the rig until there is nothing left on it. Cheap, old mono spun on a reel a year ago doesnt come off smooth.
    Once they realize that thier gear isnt too sensitive grab them a daiwa underspin on an ugly stick.
    If you want something ready to go and easy get the kid casters that have the line going through the rod. Swap the line out and you'll save yourself a ton of time not having to untangle rod tips. The kids caught a 10# carp on one last year.

11. Member
    I started my boy and his nephews, when they were around 4 yrs old, all on 6' ML rods & 6# line on spinning reels. Never gave a thought about spincast rod & reels, those short 2ft rods were the worst at casting, they were just too stiff! The way I see it, a kid's casting technique is reaching as far back as they can and whipping that rod with all the might in the world to get that bobber as far as they can. A ML moderate action rod is forgiving enough to let the rod bend and flex to launch any lure even with a bad cast.
    Teaching them to use a spinning reel was just a matter of practicing and learning to open their finger and let go of the line.
    They're all older now and picked up on baitcasters with ease. Maybe it's easier when you don't overthink a baitcaster.

12. Member
    This is good information ----

13. Banned
    Its expensive but my daughter is 6 and she uses a glx 802 bcr with a scorpion DC she will get small over runs but she does great with it i didn't buy the combo for her but she can cast it great so its hers now more time fishing less time fixing garbage reels money well spent