Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lets Talk newer diesel trucks

I will be buying a late model diesel(2017-19) probably for my everyday truck- pulling a 5th wheel several months down south during the winter, general use pulling a pontoon and a bass bass boat boat around... might even grab groceries(yea i know) lol....Have been looking at the Rams 2500-3500 6.7 and the Fords f250-350 6.7 for the most part with less than 20k miles..... Plan on keeping it for many years and will not be deleting anything until warranty is up...not sure if i can justify the price of a lariat or laramie( they are nice and havent ruled them out completely)....i have had diesels in the past, the latest being a 6.7 Ram tradesman.... Guess im just asking for those that own late model diesels, what do you own and general thoughts on reliability, comfort, fuel economy, ride, ectttt.....Not looking for a bashing contest.... thank you

2. Banned
    I have owned all the big 3, all bought new since 2011. Personally prefer the Ford, just seems like it is built to last longer. This is from someone that traditionally did not like Ford.

M
    Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    I have owned all the big 3, all bought new since 2011. Personally prefer the Ford, just seems like it is built to last longer. This is from someone that traditionally did not like Ford.
    Thank you, did you leave everything stock?

4. Banned
    Yes. The chevy and Ram both started to have problems atound 80k miles, covered under warranty but enough that I didn't want them out of warranty.

5. Member
    Picked up an 18 Ram 2500 6.7 and this is my third Ram. The other one I have is an 04 2500 with the 5.9. That truck is my go to truck for work and just turned 400k. Have only had to replace the tranny at 290k and getting the old beast repainted. The new truck is a Mega cab and that 6.7 is a solid engine. On a road trip right now with it and it has averaged 18.5 mpg over 2k miles. This Laramie package is pretty nice. Would highly recommend the Ram it rides very well for a lifted truck.

I would also be interested on ones thoughts about the newer aluminum body fords

7. Member
    I have a 2015 3/4 ton Ram, Tradesman trim, 68rfe and 3.42. Pulls well enough (boat and 20' gooseneck with load of calves). Yesterday I averaged 21.4 mpg on a 250 mile trip unloaded, 1/2 at 60 mph bouncing through the hills of Northeast OK, and 1/2 set at 80 mph on 44. Can't complain about that mileage at all. Has 85k on the clock and no mechanical issues, have owned since new.

I still salivate when i see a king ranch though....

My 2015 ram tradesman is at 111,000 miles currently and runs like a top. I have driven the New Ford diesels and they feel solid. I haven’t driven the GM yet but I looked at one the other day that was beautiful. I’m going to drive mine a while longer but I’ll be open to any of them when I decide to replace. I think they all have pluses and minuses

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Haze View Post
    I would also be interested on ones thoughts about the newer aluminum body fords
    So far so good, over 2 years with mine, no dents yet.

10. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I have a 2019 F350 6.7, SRW, club cab, long box, XLT Premium package plus every camera I could get. I bought the truck because I needed to tow a 42 ft 5th wheel south for the winters. This truck is also my daily driver and I use it to pull the boats in my siggy when I'm at home.

I'm quite happy with the truck so far. There is no shortage of power and I get about 15% better mileage than the Sierra 1500 gasser that this truck replaced. Towing the 5th wheel to Texas and back was a breeze. The only downside to the truck as a daily driver is it's a hard ride on rough roads when there is nothing hooked up. I live in the country where the roads aren't the greatest so I leave the 5th wheel hitch in so there is a bit of weight in the back and am considering adding a few sandbags to that to soften the ride a little bit more.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

11. BBC SPONSOR
    I have a 2017 F250 with the diesel, really like the truck. I use my truck, dont abuse it but use it. I pull a skid loader to our farm periodically or a larger tractor. Pulls them great and gets 10 MPG doing it, LOL. I also pull the boat a lot with it, does wonderful, the truck does not know the boat is back there and I have a 20' boat. Normal driving, day to day, I get 14.5 MPG in town. On the highway with little wind I get 18 MPG, as soon as the wind starts blowing especially in front I get 14.7 MPG. I did level my truck and I have a topper on it. I changed out the factory shocks and put Fox 2.0 shocks on it. Its the nicest riding 3/4 ton around. I have owned Ram 2500's and Ford f250's. My F250's ride is better than the Ram by a long shot. I have always been a Toyota guy, then switched to the Ram trucks, loved them and now I am in a Ford, not sure I will ever switch unless something just totally pisses me off. The Ford's are just nice, comfy seats and ride.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

All great info, appreciate all the replys

I currently have a 2016 Chevy 2500 Duramax. It was in the body shop for a month because I backed into a landscape pole so insurance let me rent a '19 F250 Crew Cab long bed powerstroke.

Things I noticed right off the bat with the powerstroke...
    1. Much more responsive
    2. A lot more torque
    3. More room in the cab
    4. It rode much more stiff than my Chevy does - but it was also brand new and that might get better after you break it in
    5. Gas mileage seemed to be slightly better in the Ford
    6. The DEF tank fill up was in the same area as the gas cap with the Ford which is much more convenient than the Chevy's under the hood.
    7. I'm not sure how many gallons it held, but the Ford's gas tank held a lot more fuel than the Chevy's which is convenient for long trips.

Having said that...I've not had any issues with my Duramax and really like the truck. Even though it's a company issued truck I make sure it gets nothing but synthetic oil - every 7K miles, fuel filter every 15K miles, and we have a Southern States gas station beside our office that offers SuperGold 50 cetane diesel that I almost always run in the truck. I think it's due for a new set of brakes, but it has 90K miles on it so I can't complain. And that's towing a decent amount of heavy equipment, plus my boat all over the state of VA.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

14. Member
    I have a 2017 F-250 diesel and really like the truck.
    For towing I regularly tow a new Ranger 520 and a large (also new)
    tri-toon. Towing is effortless. The motor runs like a top, powerful as anyone could want.

The Sync 3 (infotainment system) is another story.
    Google it and be prepared. My APIM has already failed

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kromer View Post
    tri-toon. Towing is effortless. The motor runs like a top, powerful as anyone could want.

They have been having tons of problems with the apims mine went out on my 2018 f150 and it took a couple weeks for the dealer to get the part.

16. Novice Boaters Forum Moderator jclark408's Avatar
    Holy crap! All the replies so far are helpful and nobody is being negative or basing brands

Somebody let Al know
    ------Co-founder of Post Derailment, LLC---------

Quote Originally Posted by jclark408 View Post
    Holy crap! All the replies so far are helpful and nobody is being negative or basing brands

Somebody let Al know
    . Yes very much appreciated

18. Member
    I have owned a Duramax since 2005. I sold the 2005 in 2018. I did a tuner on the 2005 and exhaust and was a great truck no major problems only the normal stuff, front end parts, brake lines, trans lines, etc. I had 240,000 when I sold it. My 2011 now has 165,000 no major motor problems, but have replaced about 10 glow plugs, and DEF tank twice. 2011 was the first year of the def which has caused most of these problems. Most everything was covered under warranty. I did have a trans module go out for 1k. I snow plow with my trucks so that adds to a little abuse but I try to take care of my stuff. So all in all I am happy with my trucks. I have always been a chevy man so I have no input on ford or dodge. Diesels are a little more expensive to maintain but if you pull anything it sure is a lot nicer behind a 3/4 ton diesel. I pull my boat every 2 weeks 2 hours to lake gaston so I put the time behind the wheel. Just my thoughts.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

19. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Kromer View Post

This is a fact, its quite quirky, but when it works its awesome and user friendly. when it doesnt,....well....
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jclark408 View Post

Somebody let Al know
    Time is up!!! They all suck........... the dollars out of the pockets!!!!!!!
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast