STILL prespawn on the big lakes

Hit Newfound yesterday, water temp was still 54-56 degrees and not a single bed in sight. Made for a great day while the breeze was up, but it got exceptionally tough after the wind disappeared. Had a 4.5 and 4.25 lb smallie, and a bunch of heavy 3's to go with it. Crazy how far behind the big lakes are, especially Newfound. My best guess, if the weather forecast is accurate, they will just start getting into making beds late this week or this weekend, probably the tail end of the weekend.

biggie smalls.jpgbiggie smalls 2.jpgbiggie smalls 3.jpg

Nice fish
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

3. Member
    Every thing up here is off. My local little lake is still quite cold. Even Moore which is big but is quite warm is still on the cold side.
    2004 Ranger 521VX with 2019 Evinrude G2 250 H.O.

4. Member
    Thanks Tim!
    Quote Originally Posted by TMG View Post
    Nice fish
    Yea it's crazy how off this spring has been. Maybe it will mean a shorter window of the crazy hot dog days of summer fishing? One can only hope.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTMS View Post
    Every thing up here is off. My local little lake is still quite cold. Even Moore which is big but is quite warm is still on the cold side.

5. Member
    I was on Winni yesterday, water temp was around 61-62. Lots of fish on beds. Only caught one that wasn't on a bed. They were investigating, but not biting my jerk bait.

6. Banned
    Same here up in Nova Scotia. My local lake is at 56-58, barely any nests made.

7. Member
    I hit Newfound Saturday. They were just going on - pulled up on the first point with a big shoal - a good scattering of beds, most with single fish in the vicinity. They weren't locked on in the least, buit would flee if you approached within 50'. I finished with two off beds, one on the jerkbait, one on a spider jig and the last on a crankbait, with the biggest at #3-2. I should have stuck with reaction/search baits in and around the flats IMO. Water temp was 59-62.

8. Member
    Winni is just heating up. I found largies just starting, locked on and guarding fry (depending on what part of the lake you were on). Sunday's Fed tournament on Newfound is going to be a SLUGFEST!!! My bet is 17+ will win it and ounces wills separate the top 10.
    Scott Doughty
    2022 Skeeter ZX225 - 2022 Yamaha 225 SHO
    Salem, NH

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassboat1 View Post
    I hit Newfound Saturday. They were just going on - pulled up on the first point with a big shoal - a good scattering of beds, most with single fish in the vicinity. They weren't locked on in the least, buit would flee if you approached within 50'. I finished with two off beds, one on the jerkbait, one on a spider jig and the last on a crankbait, with the biggest at #3-2. I should have stuck with reaction/search baits in and around the flats IMO. Water temp was 59-62.
    Had a friend hit Newfound Sunday and he said they were similar to what you found to start the day, but late morning they were all locked in and biting off beds. It's crazy how fast they get into it up there. As far as I know, they only JUST started moving on to beds in the shallows on Thursday or Friday last week.

Quote Originally Posted by doogie01801 View Post
    Winni is just heating up. I found largies just starting, locked on and guarding fry (depending on what part of the lake you were on). Sunday's Fed tournament on Newfound is going to be a SLUGFEST!!! My bet is 17+ will win it and ounces wills separate the top 10.
    I think you're right. Going to be an interesting tournament, that's for sure. I know the last one they did at this time of the year with a late spawn, they had 54 boats show up. I think there will be nearly as many and possibly even more this Sunday if the weather is good enough.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 603bass View Post
    Had a friend hit Newfound Sunday and he said they were similar to what you found to start the day, but late morning they were all locked in and biting off beds. It's crazy how fast they get into it up there. As far as I know, they only JUST started moving on to beds in the shallows on Thursday or Friday last week.

I think you're right. Going to be an interesting tournament, that's for sure. I know the last one they did at this time of the year with a late spawn, they had 54 boats show up. I think there will be nearly as many and possibly even more this Sunday if the weather is good enough.
    I can't remember who took 2nd that day (and FIRST in the Last Cast side) :-). Should be a fun tournament and weather looks OK.
    Scott Doughty
    Salem, NH

11. Member
    I can't remember who took 2nd that day (and FIRST in the Last Cast side) :-). Should be a fun tournament and weather looks OK.
    I hear he's some hack with a dumb youtube channel, spews a bunch of nonsense, doesn't know what he's talking about half the time. That and his partner is a guide so he basically just leaned on him all day.

12. Member
    Mr Tightline????
    2004 Ranger 521VX with 2019 Evinrude G2 250 H.O.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 603bass View Post
    I hear he's some hack with a dumb youtube channel, spews a bunch of nonsense, doesn't know what he's talking about half the time. That and his partner is a guide so he basically just leaned on him all day.
    That and he starts fights with nice ladies who own Lake Winnipesaukee and he keeps fishing in HER lake!!
    Scott Doughty
    Salem, NH

14. Member
    That and he starts fights with nice ladies who own Lake Winnipesaukee and he keeps fishing in HER lake!!
    How DARE that man fish public water! The audacity of some people. He's probably a millennial...

15. Member
    Well for you guys fishing tmrw you should have a good day. Minus the weather. And the 17lb + mark I would say is pretty accurate. Fun fished up there today and my shoulder is worn out.....

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by A Wood View Post
    Well for you guys fishing tmrw you should have a good day. Minus the weather. And the 17lb + mark I would say is pretty accurate. Fun fished up there today and my shoulder is worn out.....
    Nope. Place was beat to death and not a lot of quality fish left on beds today. 13.8 won it and 13.11 was 2nd. Travis and I had 4 for 12.03. No post spawn bite whatsoever either. Was hopeful that some early spawners would have been recovered and eating off the shore a bit, but no takers...

17. Banned
    Place you started was where I caught the Rock bass.

18. Member
    Maybe it was thrown in the woods

19. Member
    Wow that is crazy. Saturday we saw a few huge fish cruising up in the shallows after lunch. I was wondering if some of the big fish had even spawned yet.
    And yup I caught 2 enormous rock bass as well.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by A Wood View Post
    Wow that is crazy. Saturday we saw a few huge fish cruising up in the shallows after lunch. I was wondering if some of the big fish had even spawned yet.
    And yup I caught 2 enormous rock bass as well.
    I'm sure some fish were still prespawn, but I sincerely doubt it was primarily prespawn like I heard two other people claim. Granted, while this isn't a typical year, typically the bigger fish will spawn first/earliest and be done or nearly done when the rest of the bulk of the bass move up to spawn in the shallows. The shallow flats exploded with beds a week and a half ago, so I was hoping that some of the earlier bigger fish were done and recovered. Likely was too early even for the earliest fish to be recovered and chomping again, but I think the weather played a factor into that as well.