Thread: Transom leak

Transom leak

So I took transducer bracket off back of transom and water started dripping out. The screws do not go all the way threw. So is water trapped in transom. And is this something that I should be worried about

Yes. Definitely something you should be worried about. I’d start by removing everything I could to inspect. Motor, tie down eyelets, etc. transom cap trim piece. Then assess if the wood is wet or rotted. Some champion guys have had good luck drying them out using heat lamps for days on end and then resealing and reattaching everything.

I had some weeping around my splashwell drains about 3 or 4 years ago so I did as arjone01 suggested and removed everything. I found the water intrusion to be pretty minor compared to what I've seen from many others so I put a couple heat lamps on it for about a month and then resealed everything. I've had no problems since.

4. Member
    Op...

Look at your splashwell drains. Are they plastic or metal?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBird View Post
    Op...

Look at your splashwell drains. Are they plastic or metal?

Mine are plastic, should I be concerned? I've thought about removing them and resealing them. Also, I'm thinking of removing my motor to take off the metal transom cap, drilling out the holes and putting in a bed of epoxy. Then you redrill the holes into the epoxy and
    reinstall the cap. What were they thinking at Viper putting vertical holes into a wooden transom in the 1st place? I have a Coral and they did the same thing with the ski locker. I've seen other boats with rotten stringers as a result.

No need to epoxy bed anything IMO. But do remove everything. Remove the top cover, clean all surface around it and the aluminum cover itself (good time to paint it if you’d like), place it back on once cleaned and mask around it leaving a 1/4” line for excess. Then fill the entire area with black 5200. Not 4200. While it’s soft replace and use a longer screw to go back with. Even if it doesn’t bite well the 5200 will “glue” it all together. Remove the tape before 5200 completely sets up. Watch for running. Use acetone to keep messes under control.

And yes, replace those drain tubes. Simple process with correct tool. Use brass, not aluminum IMO. Aluminum is too soft. I just coat everything well with 5200 and cleanup after with acetone.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...uct.do?pid=613

https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...ct.do?pid=9550

Don’t forget to remove the stern eyes and hit those too. Also seal the screws for the rubrail caps. After that you’re set for another “lifetime” of boating.

8. Member
    Get rid of the plastic splash well drains. They are junk. Replace with brass.