Question Plumbing question

I am having a pressure problem in my upstairs shower. 1st off I have an old single faucet Kohler. Its probably the original from when the house was built back in 1983. About a year ago the water pressure dropped. Its still usable but not what it used to be. Every now and then the original water pressure will be back for a day or two then its back to the low pressure. Had a plumber out and he changed the cartridge but there is no difference. I can't really tell if the pressure in the rest of the house has diminished because I really never paid any attention. My question is can the actual valve body for the bath/shower cause this problem? I don't want to cut the wall and replace it if it couldn't possibly be the problem. I can't really find any answers online. The only other thing I'm thinking it could be is the regulator itself for the house. Can anyone here point me in the right direction? Thanks!!

2. Member
    I would start paying attention to other faucets in the house and see if they’re doing the same thing. If they are, is at a certain time of the day. If you are on public supply, county water, it could be dropping pressure during peak times or increasing during low demand. I had one house where at night it would almost double the pressure than that of the day. You can also check your pressure reducing valve, may have something going on there.

We are on city water but time of day doesn't seem to matter. Is the pressure reducing valve the one thats right near the main shutoff? If so thats what I was referring to when I said regulator. Just didn't know the name.

4. Member
    If your plumber changed what you refer to as the cartridge...then it leads me to believe that there are probably a very limited amount of moving parts in the valve....maybe a couple of isolation screws one for hot and one for cold on each side of center...and that probably all...so I do not think the valve body is the problem...pressure reducing valve is most likely to be the culprit...

kind of the way I was leaning as well. I just got a water pressure gauge and my outside spigot (which is after the PRV) is reading 120 which is twice what its supposed to be so you would think I would have alot of pressure. I'm going to check at the shower head as soon as I get a chance. Thanks for all the input!!

6. Member
    You may be mistaken thinking that the hose bib is after the PRV..a lot of homes have the hose bib before the PRV for pressure to wash vehicles etc.....120 psi is really, really, really high!...no insult is meant here at all just trying to help out...

Certainly didn't take it that way! I checked the gauge at the showerhead also and its reading 120. When I turn on another faucet its dropping down to about 70. Something definitely isn't right. I think I might just change the PRV just for piece of mind since they are relatively inexpensive (if I can get the water softener out of the way so I can get to it)!

8. Member
    120 is too high.... way too high...in my humble opinion. 70 is more like normal...change the PRV valve and let it go at 70...you may be spoiled with 120 not knowing its dangerously lurking into leaks...I am not a licensed plumber by trade...a General Contractor is what I am licensed to operate as...but I feel that I know enough to give a certain amount of advise...We specialize in remodeling and have run into similar issues as yours....best of luck!

9. Member
    50 to 70 psi is normal. Excessive pressure can cause problems on all valves, especially a single lever.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

Turned out to be the shower head. I changed it out with an old one and had the same problem. Just for the hell of it I changed it out with one more and problem appears to be solved. Screwy!! Anyway I adjusted the household pressure down to 70 and all is still good. Thanks for all the help!!!

11. Member
    You are most welcome! glad to be of some help