Indiana Bass Club Moderator sc419795's Avatar

Ring Free vs. ????

Guys - have been running ring free and blue stabil in my 50HP since the day I bought it new. Need to restock and ring free is a bit expensive. Realize you get what you pay for...but....are there any alternatives out there which are similar to ring free but not as expensive? Motor is running great so if the answer is just keep doing what I am doing - so be it. Figure I would ask the experts here for their opinion.

Thanks.
    Steve
    2006 Sylvan Expedition Sport
    2006 Yamaha F150 TXR s/n 63P L 1041829

2. Member
    I run ring free and buy it from Partsvu.com. cheapest price!

3. Member
    I only use Ring Free + and in my opinion 1oz per 10 gallons of gas isn't that expensive. I never use any other so called treatment because I feel I'm just duplicating efforts and why spend more money. To be honest I don't even think Ring Free + does much of anything to your gas. FYI, I use both non-ethanol, 5% or 10% ethanol gas depending where I buy the gas.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

4. Member
    I ran across a product that has comparable claims and additives. It is Star Brite Ring Clean. It's clearly going after those using Ring Free. Anyone use it?

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/star-...2?recordNum=54
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

5. Member
    I would NOT try to fix what ain't broke. 1990 200hp, 1995 Pro-V 200hp, 2002 Yamaha HPDI 200. Ran Ringfree in all of them. Zero engine problems EVER on any of them to this day. Would never burn a drop of gas without it.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    I run ring free and buy it from Partsvu.com. cheapest price!
    I no longer use them. Their "return policy" is that if you open the box you have violated their "original packaging" policy and the item is not returnable.

It only cost me $400 to learn this lesson.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by egammon View Post
    I no longer use them. Their "return policy" is that if you open the box you have violated their "original packaging" policy and the item is not returnable.

It only cost me $400 to learn this lesson.
    It would have cost you $0 if you would have read the return policy they clearly put on their website for all to read or ordered the correct parts to start with...

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dstep0 View Post
    I ran across a product that has comparable claims and additives. It is Star Brite Ring Clean. It's clearly going after those using Ring Free. Anyone use it?

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/star-...2?recordNum=54
    $20 for 16oz. isn’t that much cheaper than $45 for 32oz. (Ring Free). Buy it in large quantities (go in with guys if you want to).

9. Member
    Do you all use Ring Free all year long in every tank of gas? When I was recently buying some more ring free at a local marine shop, the mechanic there told me I should only use Ring Free once a year, and just the regular yamaha fuel stabilizer the rest of the time. Not sure whether to buy it. I'm on my first yamaha, so still learning the ropes. A friend and long time yamaha owner insists on using it all year long. I'm curious what you all think.

10. Member
    I've never not run with ring free and blu stabil in my sho. If helps the engine live its cheap insurance. The new engines are extremely expensive!
    Last edited by BroWhoop; 08-18-2022 at 09:50 PM.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

11. Member
    I NEVER use ring free in my 2011 250 SHO or in my 2008 90 two stroke. I used to run it in my HPDI's back in the day because I found that the HPDI's O2 sensor would get dirty and have a slight miss on top end if I didn't use the ring free at least every other fill up or so. I have NEVER ran it in my SHO and I have no issues at all. But if you believe in it, then use it. Like anything else.

12. Member
    I am in the if it’s ain’t broke catagory as well. I did my reading here and when I got my boat (bought used) I was planning to use the ring free, and stabil/seafoam combo as seems widely recommended for my hdpi. But then as the purchase went on and I asked questions the previous owner said he never used it, just stabil when putting up for winter, and 91 ethanol free fuel. It had 247 hours and perfect records of service and service print outs. So I decided that I would just keep things as they were.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

13. Member
    Seafoam, I haven't ran ring free in over 2 years. Run a good, clean, synthetic oil and "most" of these issues will be gone. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.